• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for 22lr trainer up to 700 bucks?

Jayjay1

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
Hello community,
I´m building up a training rifle in 22lr for precision shooting out to 100yds.

The rifle is almost finished (CZ 455, Boyds stock, Lothar Walther barrel, glas bedded) and now I need a better scope.

My idea is:

- zoom 24ish
- objective 50mm (or bigger)
- tube dia 30mm
- FFP
- Mil/Mil
- parallax adjustable
- IR
- reticle MSR 2 alike, christmas tree ok as well, if it is not to crazy

Budget is limited at 700 Dollars.

Please recommend me everything you use or would buy, if you were me.
:giggle:

One of the older swfa variables would be my pick, though it doesnt quite meet all your points. Snagged one for well under your price recently.

The reticle is kinda a tmr, but with diamonds between hash marks. The power is a little under your goal, but may be worth the trade if you ever shoot targets or varmints in close.

They biggest allure there for me is I can get the parallax to focus down to 10 yards or a little closer. I hate trying to shoot rimfire inside 50 yards with a scope that runs out of parallax adjustment. With a 20 moa base I have no trouble dialing out to hit at 350 yards with a handful of mils to spare, so plenty of dial there for most any range 22 shooting.

The vortex is a great idea if the parallax will get you as close as you want to be.

Athlon makes some good stuff for this application too that be worth a look.

Reactions: Jayjay1
I just bought a Crimson Trace 5-25 for a very similar application.

The good:
- $500
- 5-25 magnification
- 56mm objective
- Illuminated mil graduated cross style reticle
- 34mm tube
- 10 yard min parallax
- Looks to be very similar to the Brownells MPO (JOL (Japanese) made) without a zero stop

The so-so:
- With this price I assume it's being discontinued, so warranty replacement may be an issue
- 20 mil elevation travel
- No zero stop, but with the limited travel and a 20+ moa base you shouldn't be able to reach a zero below zero
- 35 oz

Element helix ffp. 479.99. Has zero stop, matching turrets/reticle, first focal plane or second, sun shade, scope caps, bikini covers 6-24x50, tracks flawlessly and glass much above its price range. Been testing one for a week now, so still new to me but so far well exceeds my expectations. Testing one for factory class in Canada (scope and rifle has to come in below 1000 dollars).

Bump it up 50 bucks and get an LRTS from at cameraland . Reach out to Doug here and he will get you straight.
@gr8fuldoug

Do you mean the LRS?

I can´t find a Bushnell LRTS.
If you mean the LRS, that is more than double the price my budget is.

Hello community,
I´m building up a training rifle in 22lr for precision shooting out to 100yds.

The rifle is almost finished (CZ 455, Boyds stock, Lothar Walther barrel, glas bedded) and now I need a better scope.

My idea is:

- zoom 24ish
- objective 50mm (or bigger)
- tube dia 30mm
- FFP
- Mil/Mil
- parallax adjustable
- IR
- reticle MSR 2 alike, christmas tree ok as well, if it is not to crazy

Budget is limited at 700 Dollars.

Please recommend me everything you use or would buy, if you were me.
:giggle:

Without a doubt 5-25x50 Viper PST Gen2.
Should be able to find one used or get a deal that'll be around $700.

I picked up a Trijicon Credo 4-16 for $650. It has parallax adjustable down to 10 yards which is nice for a 22lr, but it is a second focal plane scope. FFP isnt really needed for range use at a short range and there are a bunch of things about the Credo such as the zero stop and the weight that make it prefect for what I do with my 22lr.

Its quite possible to shoot a 22lr at 100 yards but 22lr isn't really a 100 yard round and groups are going to be 1-2 MOA at best. What you can learn from 22lr, breathing, not flinching, and trigger control is more do able at 50 yards. The Crimson Trace 5 seems to be the best deal you can get on a scope right now that is made in Japan and close to what you wanted.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020619511?pid=961295

they are on ebay for a bit less $750

Last edited:
Guys, LRTS and Credo are way under the 24x zoom, so not for me.

Acutally it seems to come down to this four:

- Vortex Viper PST GEn. II 5-25x50
- Burris Four XE Evolution 6-24x50
- Hawke Sidewinder 6-24x56
- Meopta Optika6 4.5-27x50

How do the compare in quality?

Actually I have thought that the PST Gen. II is way above the Strike Eagle.
Am I wrong or do I oversee something?
:unsure:
i see no advantage of the pst gen 2

some people will blah blah china.
some of the strike eagle turrets dont match in the 4-6mil range but vortex fixes it

my thoughts
SE 34mm
SE more travel
SE locking turrets
SE cheaper
SE shorter
SE wider FOV

i dont see a difference in glass and would prefer the SE in examples i've seen

Reactions: Rob01 and Jayjay1
I've had good experience with several vortex pst scopes. My 1-4 pst has been abused and keeps on ticking. The 5-25 hs done well too. I'd have no problem using it on any rifle that won't generally be used up close like a rim fire or subsonic pistol caliber rifle etc.

For 100 yard or 22 elr I think the pst would do nicely. Even 200 yards can be very interesting. With how components and ammo are, the lapua midas or tenx stuff looks pretty affordable and usually been available for rim fire elr work. 22lr at 350 yards with wind will put hair on your chest and be a fantastic bit of practice.

would suggest looking at the arken optics 6x24x50 at 500 dollars or so its sort of nice
good luck with which ever scope you decide to get .

Thank you guys for your infos inhere.
I´m thankful for every message you gave me.

After reading your comments and following your suggestions I´ve searched the internet, read reviews and watched videos, I´ve narrowed it down to two competitors.

To concentrate it on them, I´ve started a new thread to hopefully get infos and compare both of them directly.
(y)

Reactions: b6graham
i see no advantage of the pst gen 2

Sir, I think I have to appologize here.
With further research your statement and all the points you made seem to be confirmed.

Thank you for your info and sorry for my misbelief,
Jo

Reactions: b6graham