• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for .25-06

dpilot83

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2010
I've been trying to absorb as much info as possible on this forum and I'm still having a tough time making a good decision.

I rarely hunt. I do like to pop a 'yote when they come around. Mostly though, I appreciate skills that require effort and discipline to obtain. I would like long range shooting to be one of those skills I have. A .25-06 may not be the optimal caliber for this quest, but I feel it's likely I can learn a lot with it (plus it's the only centerfire rifle I have). If I grow out of the gun, fine. If not, no harm done.

My understanding is that a .25-06 is a viable hunting gun out to 500 yards and can be a viable target gun even further. From what I've read, I don't ever see it being a 1000 yard gun for me.

My original thought was to purchase a scope that I won't have to replace should I switch guns and start pushing out past 1000 yards. I was thinking a USO SN-3 3.2-17x T-PAL. Now I'm not so sure. I'm not really afraid of the price tag, but I'm just not sure it's a prudent use of money for a .25-06. I'm trying to research scopes that are a little more reasonably priced and see if they can permanently meet the needs of a .25-06 at any range it's capable of. Things I really want:

1. FFP
2. MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA - (<span style="font-style: italic">not</span> IPHY. Really don't want to mess up and get a MOA/MOA scope that's actually S-MOA)
3. Variable power. 3 or so on the low end and 12+ on the high end (is 9 on the high end good enough?)
4. Really want it to track accurately/repeatably.
5. Really want zero stop on elevation.

As far as I can tell all of these things are pointing me towards a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP or a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1 NXS.

Looks like the Vortex can be had for around $900 while the Nightforce is more like $2,300.

To me, for a new guy starting out with long range shooting and only using a .25-06, I think the Vortex would be OK. Am I overlooking some other good options given my requirements? There are a few things I don't like about the Vortex such as 50mm seems like mounting might need to be higher than I'd like and I'd really rather have a low end magnification of 3x (perhaps I don't need even 12x on the high end? Maybe 9x would be good?). If anyone else has any good suggestions that would meet all my requirements, I'd sure be open to them. Thanks.

Re: Scope for .25-06

Sounds good don't have either but do have a USO and really like it if I was spending over $2000 I would go USO over night force just my 2 cents.

look at the vortex razor line if your going to go more towards the top end and take a look at swfa's super sniper line. great scopes for the money.

You can get the vortex razor 5-20 or NF F1 in the classifieds here for 1700-1900 depending on the deal you catch. I would not hesitate to use either of those if I didn't have the cash for the top of the line stuff. You can occasionally find a used USO in that price range too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jroberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and take a look at swfa's super sniper line. great scopes for the money.</div></div>

I was under the impression that none of the SWFA scopes had zero stops. As I look at them I cannot find any mention of zero stops. Is this incorrect? Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ajwcotton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get the vortex razor 5-20 or NF F1 in the classifieds here for 1700-1900 depending on the deal you catch.</div></div>

I've been wondering about 5 on the low end. I've been ruling those out because the coyotes around here are pretty dumb sometimes. They may very well walk right in to my yard and I'll be shooting them at 50 yards (has happened once).

If they're on the run at close range I'd rather have a 3x ability but I figured 4 couldn't be that much different. I'd be OK with 5 if I thought that wouldn't bother me. Any thoughts on this subject?