• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for 3000 yards

starjammir

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
Michigan
Hey guys,
Long term lurker here. I have a m82a1 and need a scope for it. I talked to Randy from Thunder ammo and his June shoots are 3000 yards. Any recommendations on scope? Under $6000 would be nice.
I did purchase a prism already as I figured I wouldn't have enough elevation from a scope.
Thanks!

Hi there,
I have a m82A1 myself, I purchased half a dozen High end scopes, from the highest priced Shmidt & Bender PM II 4-45×56 WITH THE TREMOR 3 RETICLE, it cost me $8500 - all thanks to covid the pric jumped $1500.
Next was 2 Niteforce ATACR 7-35×56 @ $4400 each w/ the Tremor 3 reticle. A VUDU 5-30×56 ,again w/ Tremor 3 reticle, but I picked that up at the NRA Convention 2 yrs ago during the ILA Auction Dinner Banquet for about $1500.
The key to your elevation dilemma would be the Ivey Adjustable Scope Base, you can order it with either. Measurement MOA or MIL.
They're located in Murfreesboro Tennessee. Can be ordered in a few different Scooe tube diameters and a few colors as well.
Here's a link to them:

I wish I had one of those. I shot with my nephew out to 1930 yds. in NV a ouple weeks ago. Got one hit with my 7mm-08. Scope was S&B 5-25 PM II. H59 reticle,

Reactions: Alcanino
A few thoughts froma few of our tech reps:

Nightforce:
The last two years the ATACR has clinched victories on the King of 1 and 2 Miles.
75% of all contestants use NF 5-25 or 7-35 ATACR's
With Mechanical Construction, unmatched reliability, and LR optical performance the 7-35 ATACR would be the best optical chose in my humble opinion. The article below is indicative of its performance .
https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/king-of-2-miles/
With 29-35 mils of elevation either 7-35 or 5-25 would have plenty of elevation travel along with Wedge Prism to reach those distances.

Revic:
If the primarily goal is shooting at extreme distances the shooter may opt for an extremely high powered optic. 32-55 power.
If he's going to be shooting at ALL distances a 5-25 power may be a better option. A 5-25 is usually the best selling power range of any optic. With high powered optics, what you gain at a distance you give up and closer range.
A Revic Acura RS25i riflescope with its RH2 reticle,140 minutes of elevation and Ballistic data ring would work extremely well at any distance and would be a very good option. High quality, built for long distances.

Kahles:
Our ELR shooter is running a K525i DLR with a prism for getting the needed elevation, so that’s what I'd suggest.
The range of adjustment will get him out as far as possible without the prism (beyond 2000 yds) so he’ll have a good scope beyond just this class.

Steiner:
T6Xi 5-30x56

Item No.MagnificationReticleObjective LensFocal PlaneTube DiameterSpecial FeatureField of View at 100 meters
51245-30xMSR2 - MIL56 mm1st34 mmN/A22 - 4 ft, at 100 yds.
51255-30xSCR2 - MIL56 mm1st34 mmN/A22 - 4 ft, at 100 yds.

Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss what would be best for you
Doug

Attachments

• 1707414051354.png
    1707414051354.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: Gohring65
Not what you asked & probably not what you want to hear...

but that $6k on a 338LM or 300NM build plus a used ATACR will do a lot more for you than slapping ultra premium glass on that M82A1 & trying and hit stuff with it at 3k

Not what you asked & probably not what you want to hear...

but that $6k on a 338LM or 300NM build plus a used ATACR will do a lot more for you than slapping ultra premium glass on that M82A1 & trying and hit stuff with it at 3k
Unfortunately, its a 50 cal event so no 338 otherwise I'd take my MRAD.

Gotcha. Every so often I'll still meet people that still think the M82A1 is the ultimate precision rifle...

For that gun, I'd shop for a like-new 735 ATACR in the PX if you want to save money. New, I'd still consider the ATACR but I'd also take a look at ZCO 527s and 840s, although 840 has less internal elevation available than the 527.

I don't shoot at those ranges, but some scopes used to shroud towards max elevation... I honestly have no clue about current gen alpha/alpha minus glass (seems unavoidable, particularly for optics w/ large FOV)

Last edited:
@starjammir for what it's worth to you, I zoomed my 735 ATACR out to 7x & dialed it to max elevation (22mrad up for me) & you can barely see it darken at the bottom. Probably 0.5-1.0 mrad of darkened/yellowed, somewhere around the 26 mil mark on the Mil-XT tree. Not sure if this was from shrouding or just bad CA on the bottom edge of the glass.

e - also, I have no idea if "shrouding" is the correct term. I've seen other people call it that on here, but I'm referring to dialing so much that you're actually looking at the interior of the bell

Last edited:
No made it for Benchrest, F-class, long range, or extreme long range. At least what it states

Tangent Theta 5-25 with Charlie TARAC. During my annual ELR trips to Kansas most of the guys are using this setup for 2 - 3 miles. Talk to @MOUNTIC and he can get you setup with a great deal on TT. The new 7-35 is nice, but doesn't give anything more than 5-25 other than magnification which won't help you at distance due to atmospheric limitations but will help with LD or short range (where atmospherics don't play as big a role).

Charlie TARAC works with most scopes so you can still choose a number. If you don't want to deal with another opto-mechanical device in front of your scope, then the best best is the March Genesis series, the 6-60x56 is the better choice of the two and offers an amazing optical experience even when at extreme magnification which is 114 mrad of travel. @MOUNTIC can also help with March orders as well - send Jake a PM and he can offer a lot of information between him and his ELR team.