• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for 338 Lapua

bower4311

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
Rochester, NY
A friend of mine bought a Savage 338 Lapua. He asked me to get some advice for scope selection. His budget is around $1200. That should also include rings. We don't live in an area where extremely long distances are available. He has land at his house out to 700 yards. He bought the gun and it's more of a hobby than competition or whatnot. But he would want it for some long range hunting out west I'm sure at some point. What brands and magnification ranges would be good suggestions? I would say 1500 yards would be a good maximum, mostly being around 1000 or under.

What should he look towards. He showed interest in the Tremor 2 reticle, but I wasn't sure if that was hype or worth it once you find a scope that has it.

Thanks!

For that budget with rings included I would try and find a used Leupold Mark 4. A lot of people here like the Vortex line of scopes also. I have a Vortex spotting scope and I love it but have never used their rifle scopes. If you can talk him into it tell him to save a little more and get a used NightForce NXS from here. I recently made the jump and couldn't be happier.

I'm dead set on Schmidt and bender pm 2s.... but for this my advice would be to look at vortex viper PST... I don't own one but I probably will soon. I really haven'theard much negative on that model vortex.

Sightron sIII 6-24. You get excellent glass plus 100 Moa adjustment when you want to go long range. It's plenty man enough for 338 LM recoil and with $1200 to spend you'll have enough to buy some Seekins rings and have change to spare.

Pick up a used IOR. I've picked them up around 1200 with rings. I used a 3-18 on my 338 Lapua before and had no issues shooting at ~850 yards with it.

i have a similar situation so this advice is much appreciated. i have considered some on the following list and would like some feedback. i do live out west and want to go 1000 yds maybe even more. i have been leaning toward an ffp reticle but if advised by the wiser would consider a sfp reticle
vortex viper pst 6-24x50
bushnell 3-21x50
swfa ss 20x fixed
IOR valdada used ones

sfp's ive looked at
6.5-20x50 zeiss
nikon monarch 8-32x50 ED

any info would be great and i'm sure would help the OP

I have a vortex viper pst 6-24 FFP on my savage 338 lm. It will get you well past 1600 yards with a 30 moa base. It's clear, and has been great so far. Fits your budget too, leaving you room for base/rings.

I'd probably be looking at something like the Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 if I were working within that budget.

Sightron sIII makes a awesome scope for the money. Right there with the vortex.

I'm new To the forum and had the same question. I just picked up the 338 lapua and put the new Zeiss 5-25x50 conquest HD5. That scopes with rings came in under 1200. It has the locking elev and wind turret.
I hope I did not get the wrong set up.

That is an awesome scope. Depending though how far you plan to shoot you may not have enough elevation adjustment.

I'm new To the forum and had the same question. I just picked up the 338 lapua and put the new Zeiss 5-25x50 conquest HD5. That scopes with rings came in under 1200. It has the locking elev and wind turret.
I hope I did not get the wrong set up.

I was hoping to see what bower4311 sets up with.
I will only shoot 300-500 yards. I just a plinker. I really need to learn to shoot. I've learned a lot reading many a good post here and buying from the right source. Chris one of the vendors on this forum spent a lot of time with me on the phone and gave me a lot of good feed back. When it was all said and done I felt like I made a good choice. Next scope is for my 338 win mag. Maybe the viper vortex pst