• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope for .375 Cheytac

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
What do you need in a scope for shooting at extreme ranges with a round like this? How much adjustment, magnifacation etc?

Would the Premier 5-25 do it, or should I be looking at something else?

Re: Scope for .375 Cheytac

Depends on what you want....I just bought a Night Force 8X32X56MM NPR1 RR ( I think I worded it right.)and its a dream at 1000 yards.....It's like a spotting scope...In fact in some situtaions, I no longer need a spotting scope. And you can still have good field of view on low power for closer shots...It is awesome with clarity and light gathering is very sweet. I had a Luepold VXIII Tactical long range M-1 mil-dot 30 MM tube 8.5X25X50MM mounted on my rifle. They are both great scopes, the added magnification really helped at 1000 + plus yards...SmokeRolls

I have SB PM11 5-25x56 on mine I have found that when I have shot it at 1000 I have used 14x or there abouts. I seem to shoot better with a scope that has lower mag than usual (recently sold a 12-42 NXS for this reason). I like to have a bit of mag but I feel 22x or 25x at the top end is heaps for me.

I would look at;

Prem 5-25
SB 5-25
NXS5-22 or the 8-32 mentioned (but you only have 65moa adj. on the 8-32)
US Optics 22 or 25 at the top end.
Hendsoldt/Zeiss ?

Would not look at any other brands.

This is the problem you run into. The higher power scopes dont have near the MOA needed to achieve the distance of this rifle. The 105 MOA that the 5.5-22 will provide you enough to get out to about 2500 yards. With help like burris signature zee rings you may even get farther. The power boosters will be needed to shoot farther then 2000. Tough to see with only 22 power.

I am going with a PR 5-25 with a .40 moa rail, the PR 5-25 has 107 moa elevation.
I was considering the NXS or S&B but dicided to go with the new PR.
Very few scopes has the elevation that will play nicely along with the capability of the 375/408 rounds.

Cheers,

Master Diver

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to look for a scope with 100+ moa. I like the 5.5-22X56 NF NXS. The magnifacation can be helped buy www.bulzeyepro.com </div></div>

Notaguru, do you have any personal experience with the bulzeyepro contraption? I had not seen them before and, while a good idea, the rubber slip on thingy they have for the NXS causes some concern.

Thanks!

You "could" have USO set the reticle to be bottom'd out at 1000 (or any other range) yards and then you'd have plenty of UP to go as far as you'd like to.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to look for a scope with 100+ moa. I like the 5.5-22X56 NF NXS. The magnifacation can be helped buy www.bulzeyepro.com </div></div>

Notaguru, do you have any personal experience with the bulzeyepro contraption? I had not seen them before and, while a good idea, the rubber slip on thingy they have for the NXS causes some concern.

Thanks! </div></div>

no i dont but i have a few coming to play with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to look for a scope with 100+ moa. I like the 5.5-22X56 NF NXS. The magnifacation can be helped buy www.bulzeyepro.com </div></div>

Thanks! </div></div>

no i dont but i have a few coming to play with. </div></div>

I would love to hear your report. Thanks

I have used the bulzeyepro in 1000 yd competition. Although it did magnify the target somewhat, it was, in my opinion, not the magnification that was advertized. I would rather just use a more powerful scope and employ adjustable rings which are now available.

My 2 are S&B new 12-50x PM2 I think thats it. Or the USO SN9 10-42x. I like the USO because its got exteral adjustments for alot of elevation.

So on a SB PM2 what can a 4x booster do for it. Im a little confused on how you calculated on how much more power it will give you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ekennedy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would go with a 5x25 s&b pm11</div></div>

The only way that scope would even be an option to be put onto a 375/408 it would HAVE to be the 1cm click version as it gives 93MOA of adjustment. The 1/4MOA click version would NOT provide the amount of adjustment needed as it only gives 56MOA of adjustment.

M1A: What you also must keep in mind in regards to looking for optics to get best use of is RETICLE. You will need to research and decide which reticle interferes with you target the least in regards to covering it up.

Thanks

I have used the power boosters and love them, I have 3 (2 screw in 3x and 1 slip on 4x) you need to know that some do not like them but most do.

Also they have screw in lens for the NF models and some others also.

BH

Since we're talking about maximum magnification at ELR and such. Let me interject the mirage factor. When shooting at exteme distance on hot days (and some nights), I've seen what appears to be the target moving as much as 2 MOA on "high" or 22X. I turn it DOWN, and usually find about 16x, maybe 18x will do to "steady" the target in this situation.

Also, one of the most, if not THE, first thing to consider is whether the scope turrents return to original rifle zero when your up & down on the knobs all day long.

DJD

Just to add to what DJD said, and he is dead nuts right. In every situation where i've shot 1500+, i've turned the power DOWN vs. UP. Aim small, shoot small. Mirage will make a 20" 1000 bull into a wobbly blob at 22X at 2000 yards, but turn that power down to 5.5 - 7 on a NightForce (the best optic in my opinion for the money for this work), you get a very small, definable spot to quarter with your reticle. All you have to have is something to "quarter". You iron sight competition shooters know that you don't have to see the target perfectly to put it on top of the front sight for a "6 o'clock" hold or a line of while hold. Also, one MOA of elevation. I've surveyed about 1000 different projectiles. All but a very very few, will never have more than 80 MOA on the gun (from a parallel bore zero or a 100 yd. zero -4 - 6 MOA). Here are some examples of different projectiles elevation requirements at standard air conditions from a parallel bore zero with their supersonic ranges and elevation needs posted.

Mk211-MOD-0 / 69.0 MOA @ 1500 yards
M8 API / 69.25 MOA @ 1525 yards
338 Lapua / 300 gr. SMK / 73.5 MOA / 18000 yards
300 Win Mag / 190 gr. SMK / 55.5 MOA / 1400 yards
408 CheyTac / 419 gr. / 83.5 MOA / 2200 yards
The round with the greatest supersonic range also has the highest MOA requirement to shoot at that range...
375 CheyTac / 350 gr. J40 Cheytac bullet / 2800 yards needs 104.25 MOA.

The point is that any cartridge rarely needs more than 100 MOA to go supersonic max range. The real key is using a base that has HALF the total elevation capability of the scope. The 20 MOA base angle was an arbitrary angle that adds little to the range of the sight. The 40 MOA base set up a 5.5 - 22 NF scope so that with a 100 yard zero on the gun, you have about -6 MOA DOWN you can go on the scope. This gives you virtually ALL of the scopes elevation travel to use.

There is one more very important factor...

When you start at the bottom of the elevation travel and are shooting to 75% of the supersonic range of any cartridge, you are little more than halfway up the elevation travel of the scope.

What this really means is that the erector cell that is the small scope INSIDE the big scope body... That erector cell is pointing through the clean centers of the lenses in the scope body. The closer you get to the edges of a scopes lense, the more distortion you are going to encounter. You may not even see the distortion. Take A Leupold Mark IV M-1 scope with 150 MOA capability and turn it all the way UP or all the way DOWN and you'll get a "cat eye" effect, hence distortion. This means grouping and position of the shot errors.

Lots to consider, but i'd suggest that the angle of the base is as critical as the selection of the scope itself.

My humble thoughts... save the money on the S&B and anything that costs more than a Nightforce, or maybe a US Optics scope and put it into a better bipod setup. Most of those suck in the ELR game.

Later dudes,
Trigger