• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope for 450 Bushmaster

LAcpa

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2020
Louisiana
I recently ordered a 20” 450 bushmaster barrel for a TC encore that I will use for deer hunting. I am now evaluating the optics market for an appropriate optic. Minimum magnification 2-3x and Max of 12-14x. $750 to $1500 price point. The higher top end magnification is needed where I hunt to evaluate bucks on the hoof to comply with deer management program. 450BM is capable of 250 yard shots. I am leaning to a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42 duplex. StrelokPro tells me I can zero at 170 yards and use the top of the bottom post of duplex for a 238 yard hold.

Another possibility is Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x50 G4i bdc reticle. That reticle provides some good holdover points for the 450BM.

This part of the optics world seems to be under served as there aren’t a lot of options with good glass and useful reticles. Are there other optics I have missed? I considered the Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x42, but their duplex is very wide (15.3 MOA) and useless for holdovers. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

I would go vx5 3-15
The duplex on that model is even wider (18 MOA) than the VX-6HD. Which means the top of the bottom post is 9MOA and isn’t usable as holdover point. I saw a Boone and Crockett reticle that appears useful on the VX-5 3-15. I will be looking at that one. Thanks!

You are right about this market being very light on options.
The VX6 2-12 would be a nice option if they offered a milling reticle, they used to offer the illuminated Impact45 but discontinued that.

The closest scope to what you want is the Athlon Helos 2-12, it has all the specs and features but being a $500 scope the glass let's it down.
Its a nice $500 scope but the VX6 is hands down better in the glass department.
The Trijicon 2-10 Credo could also be worth a look.

The Athlon Eres 3-18 could also be an option, the FOV on 3x is pretty good and the reticle is supposed to be .06mil thick which makes it pretty useful down to 3x.
The Vortex PST 3-15 is also a nice option, the reticle is a little thin compared to other scopes but is surprisingly usefup on 3x.
If you could find a version with the 2c or 2d reticle then that is thicker (.05mil) which is not all thicker at 3x.
The PST has a really wide FOV so the 3x is like some other scopes on 2.5x.

I run a Zeiss V4 3-12x44 w ZBR reticle for holdover on my 450 BM.

Last edited:
I chose the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42 Mildot reticle. Simple and reasonably priced. It has side focus, good glass, and simple illumination. Mildot reticle works well with a 150 yard zero for the 450’s ballistics. i also prefer side focus when over 8x.