• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for 6.8 SPC AR

2brothers641

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 21, 2008
IA, USA
I am looking for a scope for a new AR. I need to find something with the top end power of 14-16x, illuminated reticle, 30mm tube, under 50mm bell, and be lightweight and compact. Does not have to be tactical, FFP, or mildot. I have researched but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options. Rifle will be used for hunting to a max of 300 yds. Thanks.

Re: Scope for 6.8 SPC AR

Dunno man, you just described one of the broadest range of scopes out there. Most makes will have at least one, if not 5 models that you described. Whats your price range?

You may need to sacrifice one of your needs. Illuminated and lightweight don't normally go together except in the accupoints. I have a 3-9 Accupoint on my 6.8. It's everything I wanted. Illuminated, lightweight(no batteries or battery compartment), not too expensive(got it fr $550 new), has great glass for the price, has a decent low end power and high enough to test my reloads with. It's obviously not the magnification you're looking for.

Budget is up to $1000. I am willing to sacrifice some weight to have the illumination. As far as being one of the broadest range of scopes, please direct me to companies that have them. I am not coming up with much of anything.

14-16 power for a 6.8?? I have a LWRC M6A2 6.8 and I am changing my optic from a Aimpoint M3 to a Vortex Razor 1-4. IMHO anything more is too much.

Why so much magnification for a max of 300yds? 1-4x or 1-6x would be my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why so much magnification for a max of 300yds? 1-4x or 1-6x would be my choice. </div></div>

The range within which most 6.8 bullets function is somewhere in the 350 yards range, but I shoot my 6.8's at ranges of 400 and 500 yards all the time, and I use a Zeiss 3-12 X 56 on the 20" barrel. Its a Mil-dot and I love that scope.

If you can spend $1000, then Trijicon, Zeiss or Swarovski come immediately to mind.

I have an 18" WOA barreled 6.8, I run a Leupold MkIV 4.5-14x50 illuminated.. It's my all purpose hunting rifle, and for me, the scope is a perfect magnification range for my hunting purposes.. They are commonly available on here for sub 1k

I concur with what has already been said.

I think the weaver 1-5 tactical FFP, the new sightron 1-7, the SFWA 1-4 or the PST 1-4 would fill your needs quite nicely.

Where you are going to run into problems is that you insist on high magnification and a medium sized objective lens.
When you are talking mid-priced scopes, something has to give and that is usually the quality of glass. This is a case of, you can't have your cake and eat it too. The exit pupil shrinks as the the magnification increases, to compensate, they increase the size of the objective lens. Unless you are willing to spend on top shelf glass, you will need to compromise.

One of teh scopes that meets ALL of your criteria, except price, is the new IOR 3-18x42 illuminated model. Bump your budget up another 700 or so and you can have one.

However, since you asked and damnitt, it's your rifle, the three that most folks are most familiar with here and come closet to your requirements are:

Weaver 3-15 FFP illuminated tactical scope (probably your best choice)
Bushnell 3-12 FFP illuminated tactical (a very, very good choice)
and, intentioanally last:
the viper pst 4-16 ffp tactical (I am not impressed with the glass on the ONE that I have seen)

Vortex also makes hunting specific scopes that fit the bill, as does weaver, burris, bushnell etc...

Thanks for the replies and input. I will research the suggestions listed. I currently have a couple of 1-4x scopes on ARs and like them a lot, but for this setup I want to do something with more power. This will more than likely be a truck gun and I don't anticipate any shots under 150 yds, so low end of 3-4 will be good. I understand a smaller bell will compromise some brightness but I am hoping good glass will help. If I have to go 50mm than so be it. 44 or 42 would be better though.

For $1000?

Check out Burris 2-12x40 Six X

That should fit your every stipulation, but come in just shy of your magnification desire.

Ty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why so much magnification for a max of 300yds? 1-4x or 1-6x would be my choice. </div></div>

My thoughts too.

My Hog Gun Optics
HogSwaro2.jpg

On my 6.8spc build.
HogSwaro1.jpg

Check out the Ziess Conquest 4x14, you can get it with a mil dot scope,SFP, but no illumination. Only a 1" tube, but it will have plently of elevation to get to 400-500.

I have 3 6.8 AR's..... none has more than 4x, and shoot them to 400 a lot. Hadn't thought of it before, but both are Trijicons, the light one is a 1x4 Accupoint, the other (20")usually has a 4x ACOG, with a horse shoe reticle, holdovers are right on out to 450-ish.

If you are planning for a truck gun, likely it will be a mover, and 14x is a little much for my tastes for that. My truck gun is either the light 6.8 or a Ruger Scout with the scope set on 6x, FWIW. Your preferences seem to run to more magnification, but to each his own.

Going to try a Leupold VX-R 4-12x40 BDC with Firedot. Ordered some mk 4 rings to mount it with. I will post an update when it arrives.

For a pig gun, I went with a 1.5-6x42 S&B Zenith Fashdot for my 6.8. For the 300yd range, it's perfect. Fast to sight and clear glass with illumination bright enough to see in the day. Maybe up your budget or try and pick up a used one.
IMG_1665.jpg

I'm currently running a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44. It's not overly heavy, illuminated, less than a 50mm objective, and the glass is unreal for the price. Does have a 30mm tube. IMO, it's hard to beat, and almost everything you're looking for, except its max is 10x. I think I saw one here for sale used for $575.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCharles15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm currently running a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44. It's not overly heavy, illuminated, less than a 50mm objective, and the glass is unreal for the price. Does have a 30mm tube. IMO, it's hard to beat, and almost everything you're looking for, except its max is 10x. I think I saw one here for sale used for $575. </div></div>

This was my second choice. I have the 4-16 pst and its great. If the Leupold doesn't work out, I'm going with another vortex.