• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for a 50 BMG

HMC499

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2009
Hello to all! First post but Ive been around for a while. I used the search and Ive been reading for hours but I wanted a clear cut question. I have a 50 BMG that needs a new scope. Ive decided on two scopes and I would like to know what everyone had to say about each. Scopes are the Burris 3-12x50 XTR mildot or the Sightron 6-25x50 S3 mildot. Mounitng I have now is a 20 minute base with Badger extra high Max 50 rings. Ive seen both and looked through them side by side here in town and I have pros and cons on both. Heres what I saw, let me know if its on target or not. The XTR is heavier and you can feel its got a thicker main tube and just feels beffy. Fit and finish on the XTR is very good and I like the machined finish, knobs/focus/power ring all felt good and tight. Glass seemed good not great but I would be happy with it. No color issues or edgeing issues That I could see. I really liked the thin reticle also. The S3 had awsome glass in every way but I felt it was lacking in the fit and finish aera. The gold paint was all over the place and the finish looked cheap as did the rubber eyepiece. The knobs felt good as did the focus and power ring. Ive heard that the S3 line has great tracking. I did not like the S3s reticle, I dont care for thick midots. Both have enough adjustment and both have knob covers, bothe seem to be great quality, both have plenty of power for long range, both have enough yey reliefe for the 50, both should hold up for a while and they are the same price (well the S3 is about $40.00 more). Rifle will be used for long range hunting/target shooting out to 1000 yards. I got an e-mail form Burris last week stating that the XTR line now uses "chinese" lenses but are still put together in the US. Any real world feedback on this? Thanks...

Re: Scope for a 50 BMG

SUPER SNIPER

10x 16x or 20x.......just do not shoot the 50BMG at 100 yards please......

For the money the Super Sniper can not be beat to handle heavy recoil....use this search for the Hide...

Hide Search

Seriously? For $3-$5 per round go ahead and just buy a good scope the first time. Proven glass on the .50 is scarce.

There is only one budget option - the Super Sniper mentioned above. 16x would be your best do-everything magnification.

The next pricing tier is a used Leupold FIXED power Mark 4.

After that comes a Nightforce NXS.

If you buy anything else, you will be back soon looking for "I told ya so's".

Thanks but no SS plaese, if I did it will be the 10X SF. If either one breaks Ill get it replaced and either see if it breaks again or sell the new replacement and try something else. This 50 doesnt really recoil that bad...

I have the Leupy MK IV 4.5-14x50 on mine. Works well so far. Still contemplating about the Nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously? For $3-$5 per round go ahead and just buy a good scope the first time. Proven glass on the .50 is scarce.

There is only one budget option - the Super Sniper mentioned above. 16x would be your best do-everything magnification.

</div></div>

Both Burris and Sightron have told me in e-mail replies that they are both rated for 50 BMG. I would like to see for myself. Ive been in the 50 game a while now and Ive seen a few SS scopes fail too. Also I dont cae for the Mark 4 scopes and the NXS is out of my price range right now. Ive got $750 to spend. If you like you can disregard the 50 BMG part and focus on the scope s alone...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HMC499</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously? For $3-$5 per round go ahead and just buy a good scope the first time. Proven glass on the .50 is scarce.

</div></div>

Both Burris and Sightron have told me in e-mail replies that they are both rated for 50 BMG. I would like to see for myself. Ive been in the 50 game a while now and Ive seen a few SS scopes fail too. Also I dont cae for the Mark 4 scopes and the NXS is out of my price range right now. Ive got $750 to spend... </div></div>

I think Bushnell Elite 10x is part of Barrett kit. So may be it is graded for 50 BMG

I have that scope on it now. It holds up just fine, good little scope but I want a bit more adjustment...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HMC499</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have that scope on it now. It holds up just fine, good little scope but I want a bit more adjustment... </div></div>

May I ask why you don't care for the MK IV? It has tons of elevations. You can find a decent used one for slightly more than you current budget. I know there was one on sale recently for about $925. I know that it will hold up to the abuse of the 50 BMG. Other 50 graded scopes with enough adjustment are going to cost more than your current budget unfortunately.

The Mark 4s are okay but Im wanting to know what other options 50 guys have. There are guys using other scopes on 50s other than Mark4s, NXS, SS or USO. They do hold up. Both the scopes Im asking about have over 75 minutes of elevation adjustment (75 XTR, 100 S3) and with my 20 minute base thats plenty. The mildot XTR scope is $700 and the mildot S3 scope is $740. Like I said if they fail Ill buy a NXS over a Mark 4 but Noone will ever know unless someone puts some rounds down range....

You have been aroung 50cal's for a while? Well what did you run before? Put one of those on it then......or just nut up and buy a fucking USO or Premier or IOR or NXS...spend the money or don't spend the money and but a SS......yeah it will kill the two scopes you are talking about buying......who has that picture of the retarded kid running in the olympics......somthing about arguing on the internet.....

I went from the 3200 10X to a 5.5-22x56 NXS on my Barrett M99. I have no experience with either of the scopes that you mentioned. Personally I would get one of the used Nightforces that are in the Optics For Sale section for ~$1300, before I would go spending $700-750 on a scope that may or may not last.

I bought a IOR 10 X 56.

I've put hunfreads of rounds through my Bluegrass Armory Viper-50 XL without any issues whatsoever.

The glass is well worth the expense.

Dude, you asked, and some of us have been shooting 50's for quite a while. You ask the typical question for a 50 newbie, we give you the typical answer, and you will get to find out the typical way. At least you will do your part for the economy.

SO how many rounds did you guys shoot before these two scopes failed?

Some of the scopes you are considering will last 1000 rounds, some will fail after 50 rounds. I have seen virtually every scope other than an NXS or USO fail. Even with the Mk4 I have seen reticles come loose. I also have 2 fixed 20X Ultra's that have thousands of rounds through them.

Remember the issue with the 50 BMG recoil is not how bad it kicks the shooter. It is the 20+ reversal in G force from the muzzle brake that shakes stuff loose. You would be better off with a scope designed for a piston air rifle if the came with enough magnification and elevation. They are designed for this specific issue, because when the piston ends it's travel, it slams the rifle (and scope FORWARD, not back).

Some of the mfg's like Burris have tried to improve their construction, but are not proven over time. If you don't mind the likelyhood of your scope coming loose at some point, then get what ever your heart desires.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrs50bmg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of the scopes you are considering will last 1000 rounds, some will fail after 50 rounds.</div></div>

So witch one will fail after 50 rounds? The Burris or the Sightron? How do you know? Have you used both or have a friend with a 50 that uses one or both of them? I didnt ask a noob question, I asked what scope is better, the Burris or Sightron. I never asked if they would hold up, theres only one way to find that out and that way uses my money so why care?

eight posts and i'm an internet hero..........wow....

sit down and shut the fuck up ....jackass

listen to lrs50bmg...these are sage'ed words......

you can't possibly...even remotely know what of you speak....

I have a Leup Mk4 Ultra 24x on my Robar RC-50. I've shot nearly 100 rounds through it using that scope, and I've had no issues with the scope if that's any indication of scope reliability. I don't have any experience with other scopes on the .50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Understatement for sure......

I had a Burris XTR 6-24 on my Barrett M99 for about 3-400 rounds. No problems, good glass, positive clicks. I had no issues with it at all. I also had a Burris 3-12 on a Win M70 Stealth that I have since sold. I was happy with both models... maybe I just got lucky, but my direct experience with them doesn't reflect the hate and discontent I've heard from some towards the XTR line. I still feel that the glass in each was better than the Leupold Mk4 I had, or at least as good (with better turrets to boot).

I now have a USO 5-25 Tpal on the Barrett. Of course the glass is great and it's a freaking tank of a scope. I can't comment much other than initial impressions on it. It's all mounted up but I haven't shot it with the USO on yet.

Bottom line, *I* have had good experiences with the XTR scopes. Before getting the 6-24 XTR for the M99 I tried a Super Sniper 16X. Horrible scope, but I think I just got a bad one. I've looked through 10X's that were pretty nice, but that 16X was horrendous (blurry, mushy clicks, etc). I promptly sent it back to SWFA and traded up to the XTR.

No experience with Sightron so I can't comment there. If you don't have the $$$ to jump to a Nightforce, then I would just go with a XTR if I were in your shoes...

Here is the chart for .50bmg recoil I have.
Rifle_Scopes_Nightmare.jpg
_Scopes_Nightmare.jpg

A friend of mine has a sighton III 8X32X50mm on has and I know it's held up to over 200 rounds that I know of seen fired personally. Not sure how many rounds that I havn't witnessed. The scope as of three weeks ago still tracks correctly as I rezeroed it for a fund raise we were having and set it up for a 206+_ yards target (old ford f250). Man that Barret m83a is fun to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">eight posts and i'm an internet hero..........wow....

you can't possibly...even remotely know what of you speak.... </div></div>

And theres fuckin asshole #2....

The ignorance is amazing with some. You call me an eternet hero yet you have nothing to say about anything I posted. Why do you guys feel the need to decide what I want and need? Why can you not accept the fact that there might be more than just 2 or 3 scopes that will take a 50 BMG? Like I said there is only one way to find out and so far all the "experts" have not used either scope I have asked about or have even givien ANY facts to back up their claims. Come on guys....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HMC499</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">eight posts and i'm an internet hero..........wow....

you can't possibly...even remotely know what of you speak.... </div></div>

And theres fuckin asshole #2.... </div></div>

Wait, my Popcorn is just about done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait, my Popcorn is just about done. </div></div>

I got popcorn and a 12 pack...

Here ye enters fuckin' asshole #3.

Someone should smack you upside the head with a clue-by-four but I'm worried they'll suffer hearing loss from the echo inside your obviously empty fucking skull.

Ask for an allowance raise or mow a few more lawns. Buy once, cry once.

Not one person has told me one of these scopes has broke on a 50 yet. Why is that? Not one has even said "my friend did break one", "I saw one break at a match" or "I did break one". You love to spit on me yet you guys have no personal use with either...................

OK, so this is somewhere I finally get to chime in. I own a model 99, have had it for 5 years. It came with the Burris Elite 10X, that lasted about 30 range trips and 500 or so rounds before it gave up the ghost. More than likely it was the way I handled the scope and rifle more than the round count. "Upgraded" to the XTR about 8 months or so ago, can't really remember now as the scope has since landed in the dumpster less than 250 rounds in. Sucked it up, sold some shit and bought a NXS 8-32x56, this scope has better than 600 rounds down range and i just did a box test on it at 500 over the weekend with no tracking loss. The opinions given over the last few posts were for your benefit, these guys have been there and done that. I'm no SS-but I can tell you save the money buy better glass and you will end up happier in the long run, BTW my model 99 has 20 MOA built in, it may just be the series or generation I got but if you have a 20 MOA rail on it you may actually have 40 MOA on yours. If you want more specifics just ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Burnt Spam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, so this is somewhere I finally get to chime in. I own a model 99, have had it for 5 years. It came with the Burris Elite 10X, that lasted about 30 range trips and 500 or so rounds before it gave up the ghost. More than likely it was the way I handled the scope and rifle more than the round count. "Upgraded" to the XTR about 8 months or so ago, can't really remember now as the scope has since landed in the dumpster less than 250 rounds in. Sucked it up, sold some shit and bought a NXS 8-32x56, this scope has better than 600 rounds down range and i just did a box test on it at 500 over the weekend with no tracking loss. The opinions given over the last few posts were for your benefit, these guys have been there and done that. I'm no SS-but I can tell you save the money buy better glass and you will end up happier in the long run, BTW my model 99 has 20 MOA built in, it may just be the series or generation I got but if you have a 20 MOA rail on it you may actually have 40 MOA on yours. If you want more specifics just ask. </div></div>

Thank you. You sir and your opinion, I respect. You are the first person I have talked to in the last 2 years that has had a XTR break. Also I never said I wasnt going to get a NXS, just not right now. If I want to spend $700 on a temp scope than thats my right....

FWIW, I know of 2 NXS scopes that have faild on a 50 too...
Not saying the ratio of other scopes to the NXS isnt good Im just saying they all can fail...

Glad to see you found the answer you were looking for.....do you want the 100 yard target for the 50 cal now?
shocked.gif

You said I was #1!!!!!!!!!!!!1
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have a 10x & need a temporary scope...Burris 3-12x50 XTR mildot is the same power as what ya got...
</div></div>

Having parallax adjustment and focus would be nice on this rifle for once.

I posted on the Sightron not the exact same model but it has held together so for. I would go with Sightron S3 stuff over the Burris, Cause I have seen more people running them than the burris at the matches intend.

I had the Higher power XTR on my State Arms .50 but I did not like the 1/2 moa clicks. I have since picked up a used Lupy Mark 4 8.5-25X50 TMR here on the Hide. So far it has been great, 0 problems with a couple hundred rounds down the tube. Good glass and very repeatable.