• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for a classic hunting rifle

CaptNemo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2009
    Southern Alabama
    I just picked up a 1922 /1923 vintage Savage 99 Takedown chambered in .300 Savage that's in pretty good condition.
    It came out of southwest PA, and the bluing on the receiver and case coloring on the lever are mostly gone while the barrel bluing is probably about 95%.
    I'm guessing it came out of an estate and along the way it was a favorite deer rifle for a WW1 Veteran in Filson Wool hunting clothes and was shot very little and cared for when it got back to the camp house before being handed down a couple of times.
    It has been drilled and tapped for both a tang peep sight ( Crude Plug Screws are in the tang ) and poorly done scope mount screws are in the front receiver ring. These screw holes are far enough off location that the new mount screws can be done without interference.

I bought it as a "Shooter" and want to get the rifle back out in the deer woods where it belongs doing what it was intended to do.
    Now I'm looking for a scope to put on a one piece Leupold Mount with Leupold twist-in Standard rings to keep it looking classic.
    The longest shot I'd anticipate for this rifle on my hunting lease is 300 yards if the gun is accurate enough at that distance.
    I'd like to find a 2-8, 3-9, 3-12, 4-16 power magnification with an Illuminated Reticle in either a 30mm or 1" tube with an objective bell less than 50mm to keep it from looking like a PRS gun ( I have other rifles with Big Glass that are fit for purpose ). Budget is less than about $ 600.00.

I weighed the rifle this morning, and it tipped the scale at 7 lbs 14 oz. with no ammo, no sling or additional sights.

Photos because, well photos...
    IMG_9498.jpg

IMG_9499.jpg

Ideally, I’d be looking for a Leupold VariX II (NOT VX) or Redfield 2-8 or 3-9, but your illumination requirement might be a problem. I’m personally torn about older glass/illumination since the newer is so much better, but doesn’t have the classic look/feel. The Leupold VX3 HD 2.-10 would be my go to then, but might not be in your price range.

I personally love the Savage 99. You found a good one in great shape!

Last edited:
    That looks like one heck of a space telescope.

Which is what it will look like on top of that 99. :D

( it will have the classic, way too big, way too high, Euro look. Maybe a ring mount? lol)

There is a hole in the market for this kind of thing, unfortunately not a lucrative enough one it seems. Even when you dismiss the "tactical" craze amongst scope manufacturers, even the standard hunting scopes are all squared off, blocky, gaudy, ugly looking things. They're just okay on plastic stocked melonite'd modern rifle, but look bad on classic wood and blued.

There other option is shop for used vintage scopes, but it can be pretty discouraging. I recently bought an early 70's Sako with a period correct Redfield on it. It looked great, glass was was plenty sharp, but it had darkened so much that unless you were using it mid day, it was like shooting with sunglasses on.

Reactions: Modoc
    Edit.
    This place has refurbished old blued scopes.
    Mostly old Weavers. Some re-glassed, other fully refurbished.

Heres another vintage scope place. Lyman, Hensolt, Khales etc....

The Illumination is gonna be an issue.

Either you get a new matte scope with illum. Or an old traditional scope that looks better on the rifle

Last edited:

( it will have the classic, way too big, way too high, Euro look. Maybe a ring mount? lol)

There is a hole in the market for this kind of thing, unfortunately not a lucrative enough one it seems. Even when you dismiss the "tactical" craze amongst scope manufacturers, even the standard hunting scopes are all squared off, blocky, gaudy, ugly looking things. They're just okay on plastic stocked melonite'd modern rifle, but look bad on classic wood and blued.

There other option is shop for used vintage scopes, but it can be pretty discouraging. I recently bought an early 70's Sako with a period correct Redfield on it. It looked great, glass was was plenty sharp, but it had darkened so much that unless you were using it mid day, it was like shooting with sunglasses on.
    Thru a little looking around, I found the Sig SOW44002 at about $ 320.00 @NYCameraland

and the Leupold # 180668 at $ 699.00 everywhere. I can't seem to find a discount anywhere.

Any opinions ?

That Mark 3HD should do all you need except it is mat. That Whiskey will look like a abusive dildo sitting on that nice 99.

JFR

Reactions: CaptNemo and Modoc
    Thru a little looking around, I found the Sig SOW44002 at about $ 320.00 @NYCameraland

and the Leupold # 180668 at $ 699.00 everywhere. I can't seem to find a discount anywhere.

Any opinions ?
    As much as I don't like Leupold, that MK3HD or one of their gloss finish VX models would probably be your best best for looking more "classic/vintage". Their VX series hasn't changed much in 40 years.

Personally, I think one of the S&B Klassik scopes would be your most authentic looking, as they have a glossier finish, and the turrets look very old school European hunting style. Or, if you can find an old Kahles or Hensoldt or and old Carl Zeiss, on eBay or something, that might be your best bet.

Well... OK. More Egg Nog!

JFR

For Classic look and simplicity, a Gloss Weaver K-4 Duplex would look sharp on that Savage.

Whatever I would do is keep the objective diameter at 44 mm of less, I find the 50 mm objectives on classic guns to ruin the classis appeal. I love high end optics and enjoy the dim-light utility of 50 mm objective with quality glass but have smaller objectives on my classic guns. If you want performance the S&B is a great option, but in my opinion looks a little wonky.

I was trying to find an analogy saying that a 50 mm objective on a 99 is like putting a blank on a '65 Chevelle SS. I just could not come up with the blank so help me come up with something appropriate.

Just my two cents,
    wade

Whatever I would do is keep the objective diameter at 44 mm of less, I find the 50 mm objectives on classic guns to ruin the classis appeal. I love high end optics and enjoy the dim-light utility of 50 mm objective with quality glass but have smaller objectives on my classic guns. If you want performance the S&B is a great option, but in my opinion looks a little wonky.

I was trying to find an analogy saying that a 50 mm objective on a 99 is like putting a blank on a '65 Chevelle SS. I just could not come up with the blank so help me come up with something appropriate.

Just my two cents,
    wade
    24” wheels and super low profile tires is the visual you’re looking for.

Just my two cents,
    wade
    They make a lot more models of the Klassik, not just the one I linked you to. They have some with smaller objectives.

Like this 3-12x42mm version...

The only reason I keep mentioning it, is I don't know anything that would beat it in glass quality, but still look relatively vintage...Maybe hit up eBay for an old vintage Hensoldt, Karl Zeiss, or Kahles... 🤷🏼

Reactions: Charmingmander
    I'd put a 4x with a flat top tapered post reticle on it and go kill stuff. Maybe a steel tubed Kahles (or even a Pecar if you can find a good one ). A 3 x weaver would look the part too, but zee Germans would have better glass for a similar vintage.

Awesome rifle - I've been looking for one as a rainy day bush rifle, but I'll be putting a red dot on mine.

I might also think about putting a old Weaver V9 W 3-9 on it. I know no illumination but sure would look nice.

Reactions: Modoc
    One of the Klassik S&B scope would work well, but you are not likely to find one within the $600 budget. If it were me, I would give up on illumination and put Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36 scope on it. I am not convinced they still make it, but it is the perfect size for the 99.
    Barring that I would put Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 on it. It is light, durable, has illuminated reticle and sits right at $600.

ILya

Reactions: fanninland
    I rooted thru my "Box-O-Scopes" and found these two:

IMG_9526.jpg

The Leupy is a 3.5-10 Vari-X3 that was on my Rem 78 Sportsman in .30/06 back in the early 90's. That scope has several deer, coyote and armadillos to it's credit.

The Burris is a 3-9 Fullfield that was on the Browning A-Bolt Hunter .308 rifle I gave my dad in 1993 for his birthday.
    This scope was on the rifle when he gave it to me before he passed away.
    Neither one has illumination, but they both have history.

Congrats - beautiful rifle which IMO begs for a compact gloss scope. I’d also waive the illumination requirement and find a Leupold 2.5x8. My f-i-l gave my grandson his dad’s M700 .243 with that same scope on it and it’s the most classic looking setup in the safe. We were recently looking at some bucks that came out at around 220 yds about 15 min before end of legal shooting light and even though they weren’t the one he was after, he said he could have taken a clean shot. Or even an Leupold M8 6x. They come up for sale often on fudd sites like Rimfire Central.

If better glass is needed then yeah the S&B Klassic or maybe Swaro Z3 but don’t know if that exists in gloss.

That rifle needs a classic gold ring leupold or euro scope such as S&B or kahles.
    My choice would be a 2.5-8 leupold

100% agree.
    The problem is the only scopes that look proper classy are Leupolds with the gold ring.

I can't imagine anyone could release a nice looking scope with the gold ring and Leupold not having something to say about it.

They make a lot more models of the Klassik, not just the one I linked you to. They have some with smaller objectives.

Like this 3-12x42mm version...

The only reason I keep mentioning it, is I don't know anything that would beat it in glass quality, but still look relatively vintage...Maybe hit up eBay for an old vintage Hensoldt, Karl Zeiss, or Kahles... 🤷🏼
    I dont like the look of those turrets, they just look weird. Definitely not a classic look (even if they are an older design).

The only exposed turrets that look any good are the VX5/6. If the scope wasn't such a matt finish and they did half decent reticles if be hard to look past a VX5HD for any/every rifle that aesthetics are a consideration.

Gloss Loopy fixed 4x or 6x off eBay.

That was my plan for the Sako, but time was short and I wasn't having much luck. So instead I grabbed a Leupold, the one koshkin mentioned above. At that point I wasn't as concerned about the "look", but about the size. I wanted a mid size, shorter, 32-36mm, something I could use the old rings with. Nothing I had kicking around the house worked.

IMG_7726.jpg

Functionally it's okay, optically more than good enough for its intended use. Visually the chunky-ness, blocky-ness of the ring (with cattail removed) bugs me, the squared off lines of everything and the matte finish. As does of course the locking exposed turret. I think the turret is a nice idea and would be great on a scope that wasn't a modern Leupold. :D When I went to sight it in, the windage adjustments is so bad (crunchy) that I legitimately thought it was broken. I have a cheap-o entry level crossbow, came with one of those throw it in free, made of Chinese soda bottle scopes on it, probably cost about $7 to make. The adjustments on that children's toy put this Leupold to shame. :(

The Burris is a 3-9 Fullfield........

I think the Burris certainly looks the part and would be a better match on the Savage.

Last edited:
    Reactions: CaptNemo
    What are the thoughts on a NF SHV ?

It's a little more $ than what I budgeted, but there ain't an ATM Machine in the Afterlife...

And I found a deal on one of these:

Reactions: roostercogburn98

It's a little more $ than what I budgeted, but there ain't an ATM Machine in the Afterlife...

Been looking at these for an 18 inch 7-08 currently under construction. The 3-10 seems appealing due to length and weight. The only thing that is a complete turnoff is the fixed parallax. I can deal with moa for adjustments.

I have the SHV and I find it lacking at low light/dusk. It’s on a daytime pig popper and I am ok with that….but not what I’d reach for first headed to a deer stand. Also have the VX-6HD. Which is similar to the VX-5. It is a good scope that carries me through legal hunting light. But my goto is a S&B. I second the Klassik mentioned above.

Reactions: roostercogburn98