• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope for a HK SL8-6 under 600$

Abelmartinez90

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2023
Fort Worth
Hello all, I knew one day I would get an HK SL8, but the other day I saw one for 999$ brand new and I had to get it :)

Now I have to get a scope for it. The scopes I had on my other guns are not really expensive but i think my budget for the SL8 scope would be 600$max. I do not mind to get used scopes if they work perfectly.

My purpose with that rifle is mainly target shooting as far as possible and as precise as possible given that rifle and my budget. I call your wisdom to throw some light and take a decission.

Thanks in advance.

The tactical nature of the rifle would lead me to a true tactical scope, but at the price point you mentioned, the only scope that I can recommmend for long distances is the Arken EP5 or the lighter weight EPL-4. These are scopes that compete with others that are 2x to 3x the price. Another to at least compare would be, in my opinion the Vortex Strike Eagle. It is very popular and similarly priced. I think it compares well in performance to the EPL-4, but the EP5 is clearly a better scope. There are some Burris scopes that do quite well, but we have found that our tactical customers prefer other brands.

I was reading this thread https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/sub-500-scope-recommendations.7192261/page-2

After going thru all the comments here and some research, I decided I need a FFP with at least 20x, so I think my options are:

Vortex:

Viper PST 6-24x50
Venom 5-25x56

Bushnell:

Match Pro 6-24x50
Nitro 6-24x50

Athlon

ARES BTR 4.5-27x 50

I went ahead and ordered the Athlon and the Match Pro, since I have free returns so I can take a closer look to them. Any thoughts or recommendations?

XTR II at eurooptic.com . Seemsnit would fit your budget, and survive being put on that heavy ass cumbersome rifle 🤷‍♂️.

No hate. Had a buddy who owned an SL8-1 in that gray color. Always liked its look, but much prefer my ar15 type rifles

Tangent but I'd be thrilled to find a cheap SL8, and then be saving my pennies to do at least some of this, make it a better G36 clone:

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Reactions: AMGtuned
Vortex strike Eagle 1-8. About 600.00 if you look around
Vortex 1-6 PST. About 600.00 as well

I personally like the 1-6 PST better but many want slightly more magnification

Both I have seen run and run in the range without issue. Plus no hassle lifetime warranty

I finally had an issue with a Vortex scope where it no longer would light reticle. Called them and return label for fast shipping was in my email ten minutes later. Mailed off and was fixed and no charge very fast.
Considering I have over ten Vortex scopes and use the poop out of them for last five years. Only one breakage is a miracle to me. Plus it still works perfectly. The reticle just quit lighting up. Consider I have broken many Aim Points and Eotech in the same amount of time. They were great customer service as well

Understand I beat the crap out of my teaching scopes and have broken every brand I have tried over last thirty years. This was best warranty experience ever

So yes get Vortex

XTR II at eurooptic.com . Seemsnit would fit your budget, and survive being put on that heavy ass cumbersome rifle 🤷‍♂️.

No hate. Had a buddy who owned an SL8-1 in that gray color. Always liked its look, but much prefer my ar15 type rifles
I got it new for 999$, I will give it a try. The rifle sells for 1600 brand new. If I don't like it I will sell it and put together something like an AR15 with varmint upper. I am a big fan of RA15 too. I got this one because of the price and I was told that they shoot really good. But maybe I prefer the ar15 ergonomics and probably triggers.

So, in the case of the Burris XTR II there are two version priced really similar, 3-15 x 50 and 5-25 x 50.

Would the first give me better quality than the other with more magnification?
For starters, what exactly is your goal for this rifle?
What targets are you wanting to shoot at 600 yards? 6x-8x is plenty for silhouette sized targets on a square range, targets much smaller than that may be a challenge with the SL8. Not knocking it, its a cool gun, but..
It's generally not considered a tac driving target rifle, and a ton of magnification will not make it so. You'll find a ton of people on this forum that regularly shoot past 1000 yards and never use more than 15x. There's a case to be made for +20x mag when trying to shoot tiny benchrest groups, but again, you kinda picked the wrong rifle for that and in a less than ideal chambering for doing it at long ranges.
An SL8 with a 27x scope is a bit of a square peg round hole situation, most people would probably suggest a nice LPVO or even dot+magnifier to suit the rifles general purpose design.

Reactions: AMGtuned
It's a semi-auto 5.56 rifle, I wouldn't expect true LR precision and performance out of it. This would be more than enough scope, and within your budget, and would fit easier on top of it... I have 2 of these, and for the money, they are solid.

Reactions: shoobe01
For starters, what exactly is your goal for this rifle?
What targets are you wanting to shoot at 600 yards? 6x-8x is plenty for silhouette sized targets on a square range, targets much smaller than that may be a challenge with the SL8. Not knocking it, its a cool gun, but..
It's generally not considered a tac driving target rifle, and a ton of magnification will not make it so. You'll find a ton of people on this forum that regularly shoot past 1000 yards and never use more than 15x. There's a case to be made for +20x mag when trying to shoot tiny benchrest groups, but again, you kinda picked the wrong rifle for that and in a less than ideal chambering for doing it at long ranges.
An SL8 with a 27x scope is a bit of a square peg round hole situation, most people would probably suggest a nice LPVO or even dot+magnifier to suit the rifles general purpose design.
Well, I reload, and I was told that those SL8 shoot really good. I just want to get the maximum of that rifle. I do not really want an LPVO, I have 2 primary arms 1-8x24 one in my Ar15 and the second in my cetme. When I go to the range and shoot the rifle target shown in the picture sometimes I do not really see the diamonds clearly. I imagine if the target were like 200 or 300 meters I am not going to see anything. That's why I thought... great!!! the more zoom the better I will see my targets. I have a savage BTVSS in 22 lr and I have a 4-12x scope on it so I can see better the target and aim properly on the center of it. Some people told me that 12x for a 22 lr is not a good idea, but I have no complains, I like it more than my 1-8x24, it allows me to shoot better. That is the reason I thought that If I can hit things with this rifle at 600 yards more magnification will allow me to see my target better.

As you can see, my longer range rifle is a 16 in ar15 and well, the cetme... so I am new in the medium-long range. Maybe a 5-15x 50 or a 4-16x50 would be better? Maybe for this kind of rifle a SFP would be good?

I just got a new rifle and I am trying to find out what optic I should buy to avoid making a mistake. I really appreciate people here helping me to make the right choice and if I am wrong I will take good advice from people with experience.

Attachments

• 100-yd-Rifle-Target-RED-1-762x1024.jpg
    100-yd-Rifle-Target-RED-1-762x1024.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 25
It's a semi-auto 5.56 rifle, I wouldn't expect true LR precision and performance out of it. This would be more than enough scope, and within your budget, and would fit easier on top of it... I have 2 of these, and for the money, they are solid.

I have the 1-8x24 ones in my Ar15 and Cetme. I like them, but i have the problem explained in the post just above this one. That's why I thought that the longer the distance, the better if I can see my targets bigger and with more detail.

I have the 1-8x24 ones in my Ar15 and Cetme. I like them, but i have the problem explained in the post just above this one. That's why I thought that the longer the distance, the better if I can see my targets bigger and with more detail.
If the gun and/or cartridge simply can't do it... More scope will not fix the problem. Just my opinion.

If the gun and/or cartridge simply can't do it... More scope will not fix the problem. Just my opinion.
I see. lets say then, I want to hit bigger targets, wont I be able to see them better with more magnification? If I just see a small object, sometimes is difficult to know if you are aiming to just the center of it or not. My logic was basic, the bigger I see the target the better I can punt my reticle on the middle of it and fire. As I said, my experience with long range rifles was only a Bergara experience Event (I had a blast) here in Fort Wort TX, and that's all. Probably my initial thoughts are wrong and I appreciate your help.

I see. lets say then, I want to hit bigger targets, wont I be able to see them better with more magnification? If I just see a small object, sometimes is difficult to know if you are aiming to just the center of it or not. My logic was basic, the bigger I see the target the better I can punt my reticle on the middle of it and fire. As I said, my experience with long range rifles was only a Bergara experience Event (I had a blast) here in Fort Wort TX, and that's all. Probably my initial thoughts are wrong and I appreciate your help.
A bigger target is even less of a reason for more magnification in most scenarios. If it was a high accuracy and precision rifle and you were trying to hit the smallest possible target it was capable of then yes more magnification would help.

If that was a 1 MOA rifle a 6" target is going to be a very small target for you at 600 yards. A 6-10 power scope is more than enough for a target that size at that distance. If it was a 1/4 MOA rifle then that is a different conversation.