• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope For a Hunting Application

nick338

Commander- of what I have no idea
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
Need some opinions on a scope for a 300 WSM hunting rifle. Looking for something compact but not necessarily an ultra-short design and likely in the 3-18 range or something in between and a 50mm objective. What is important is this order is brightness, clarity, field of view and eye box. Would also like to keep weight around 30 ounces give or take a few so anything close to 40 ounces does not apply. Price range is somewhere in between $2-3k but not restricted to that, however I have no desire to spend much north of $3k on a scope for hunting.

Own or have owned ZCO, NF, Kahles, and S&B 5-25 range of scopes and definitely not looking for that class of size and power range as this will probably be limited to 500-600 yards.

Give the Meopta line a look, all of my hunting guns have Meoptas on top, great optics that really shines in the last and first 30 minutes of the legal hunting hours.

Reactions: nick338
D942A04F-3815-4A27-8C3A-87429B278E9B.png
EE512ADB-2EB2-4CA4-B368-0DF481832982.png

or
Minox 3-15
K318i
ATACR 4-16x42

Need some opinions on a scope for a 300 WSM hunting rifle. Looking for something compact but not necessarily an ultra-short design and likely in the 3-18 range or something in between and a 50mm objective. What is important is this order is brightness, clarity, field of view and eye box. Would also like to keep weight around 30 ounces give or take a few so anything close to 40 ounces does not apply. Price range is somewhere in between $2-3k but not restricted to that, however I have no desire to spend much north of $3k on a scope for hunting.

Own or have owned ZCO, NF, Kahles, and S&B 5-25 range of scopes and definitely not looking for that class of size and power range as this will probably be limited to 500-600 yards.
Regularly check DVOR, they have had the Tangent Theta 3-15s (P, M, and H) on sale for barely over $3,000.

I own the ATACR 4-16-42 and love that scope for the rifles I use it on but I think I can do better in terms of field of view and brightness, especially shooting during low light situations.

Definitely have my eye on the Kahles as it fits the bill for power range and size but never being behind one it makes me nervous as I've heard the field of view is not as good as some people had hoped it would be.

ZCO-what can I say. The 5-25 is my favorite scope I've owned yet but the 4-20 may be a bit overkill on this rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
If great reticles aren't important to you, which is often the case for hunting, it is hard to beat the Swaro 6 series. With a custom turret, it becomes a really capable hunting scope, even if it isn't what you would brag about on the Hide. Glass is superb.

If great reticles aren't important to you, which is often the case for hunting, it is hard to beat the Swaro 6 series. With a custom turret, it becomes a really capable hunting scope, even if it isn't what you would brag about on the Hide. Glass is superb.

Having only owned scopes with tactical style reticles, looking through a scope with a plain old duplex reticle may cause me to lose sleep at night tricking my mind into thinking I made the wrong decision but I'm sure it's nothing more than an adjustment period, and actually having a slightly thicker reticle in this situation may be a good thing.

Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 looks interesting. Any users out there?

Reactions: lou400a
Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 looks interesting. Any users out there?
It's really a pretty darn good scope. Nice and short, good glass. Mine has the older reticle, but the new one seems much better. I use it on my gopher gun, so I don't exactly take it out a long ways.

Having only owned scopes with tactical style reticles, looking through a scope with a plain old duplex reticle may cause me to lose sleep at night tricking my mind into thinking I made the wrong decision but I'm sure it's nothing more than an adjustment period, and actually having a slightly thicker reticle in this situation may be a good thing.
I hear you, and am generally the same way. The Swaros are really well thought out for hunting, though. Super bright, the dot illuminates as you shoulder it. I don't care for it without the custom turret, but with you have a very fast system inside 700 or so meters. I know a lot of people think they are always hunting outside of that, and some do, but if you are, you definitely want more of a tactical type reticle IMO, because you are still dealing with timing issues any time you are shooting animals.

LHT 4.5-22 is lightweight and short , LRHS2 4.5-18 if you don’t need illumination