• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for a Springfield M1A Scout

tag_heuer

Lead Farmer and Garbage Collector
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2013
NOR CAL
I need a recommendation for a scope for an M1A I just picked up. I'm not sure if I want to mount it over the action for along forend. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends on what you want to use it for. I have a Burris 2.75x Scout on the forward mount of my M1A. You could also do a 2-7x

If you decide to use a scope mount on the receiver, Bassett Machine, Sadlak, and ARMS make good mounts.

Depends on what you want to use it for. I have a Burris 2.75x Scout on the forward mount of my M1A. You could also do a 2-7x

If you decide to use a scope mount on the receiver, Bassett Machine, Sadlak, and ARMS make good mounts.

Honestly I don't know what it's for. I just bought the rifle cause I really like. I have a lot of gun, but wanted to add this my collection. Now I gotta figure out what to use it for. Mostly likely just target shooting out to 600 yards

Are you looking for precision accuracy, or just a fun gun? The M1A is a great rifle, and also a solid 1.5 to 2 moa shooter. I chose the Burris Scout scope for it's light weight, and compactness. As well as the ruggedness of a fixed power optic.

Are you looking for precision accuracy, or just a fun gun? The M1A is a great rifle, and also a solid 1.5 to 2 moa shooter. I chose the Burris Scout scope for it's light weight, and compactness. As well as the ruggedness of a fixed power optic.

Of course I want some precsion, but I'll leave that to my bolt guns. I think it's more of a fun gun. Something to bring out to show off. I'll check out the Burris for sure.

JMGlasgow has it right on the receiver mounts.

I enjoy fhe 2.5-10 power ranges on the rifle. NF or Vortex.

3-9x40 is what I have on mine, using a Bassett Mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course I want some precsion, but I'll leave that to my bolt guns. I think it's more of a fun gun. Something to bring out to show off. I'll check out the Burris for sure.

Yap... isn't a gun designed with great precision in mind. For me it's more of a fun gun, truck gun.

If used as intended, as a scout rifle, Leupold scout scope works great, as does the Burris version mounted at the forward rail.

Red dot can be fun too.

Found this while searching for mount recommendations. Know it’s old post, but maybe someone will chime in.

Thinking QD unimount for Leupold LER scope. What height is appropriate to clear the action? I’m guessing cheek weld will be an issue, but can solve it with a cover of some sort on the stock to increase comb height.

Suggestions?

I have a leatherwood 2x7 scout on mine with a ballistic reticle, not much money and surprising glass. It's nice to have 7x for longer ranges and shooting groups

With a D/M, I don't see a need for an LER (Long Eye Relief) scope; IMHO they are best when mounted in applications where stripper clip feeding is going to be the norm.

Mounts are critical on the M-14/M1a, research them carefully, the primary headache is about the mounts loosening up, and reducing scope mass is a key improvement.

You can test out the 2.5-10 magnification range cheaply with the Tasco Varmint/Target 2.5-10x42M. You just may like it enough to keep it mounted, as I did with mine.

Greg

Low magnification or better yet a red dot/acog type optic
Scouts are really fun with both eyes open blasting away
Shooting 600 with a scout is open newspaper accuracy

Thanks for the replies. Have had a vx2 1.5-4x28 scout sitting in the safe for awhile, but the mount still proves illusive for the forward pic rail. I do fine with the iron sights, but figure as long as I’ve already got the glass, might as well use it. Maybe I’m just trying to solve a problem that doesn’t really exist!!!!

I got my forward mount on M14forum used. I put out a want ad. It's an SAI mount, got it cheap with matching handguard.

Honestly I don't know what it's for. I just bought the rifle cause I really like. I have a lot of gun, but wanted to add this my collection. Now I gotta figure out what to use it for. Mostly likely just target shooting out to 600 yards
If you need a scope those are some good options. Mine has the national match iron sights, with a national match air gauged barrel. If I posted up some of the better ten round troops I've gotten with it, most here would be sure I was full of crap, cause battle rifles with irons don't do that. If it is ready to shoot, shoot it. That will make it easier to see where you want to go.

I got my forward mount on M14forum used. I put out a want ad. It's an SAI mount, got it cheap with matching handguard.

Maybe I’m using wrong terminology...have pic rail installed in the hand guard already. It’s qd rings or unimount that I’m looking for to fit the scope to the rifle. Someone suggested a scout mount for m4, but it’s too tall.

As I said, I’m probably creating a problem that doesn’t exist. Thought there might be a quick standard to go with. I’ll dig through my parts box