• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for AR10 (308)

Mwalex

Private
Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2011
    All,

I built an AR10 last year and now need to buy a scope. I would like to jump up in scope quality going forward and I am not worried about the weight or length of the scope. Based on reviews and reading I am leaning toward the Minox ZP5 3.5-15 for this rifle. For the people with experience with that scope on a gas gun what are your thoughts and, in hind sight, would you go a different route?

Thanks in advance for comments and input.

Ive run a lot of optics on ARs and bolts. Don’t see a difference. Get a good mount, place correctly for eye relief, and they work. The biggest difference is the mount IMO. I would use rings on an AR platform.

Ive run a lot of optics on ARs and bolts. Don’t see a difference. Get a good mount, place correctly for eye relief, and they work. The biggest difference is the mount IMO. I would use rings on an AR platform.

Thanks for the input. I am taking time to look into mounts, of course there are many to look through.

I think the S&B 5-20 Ultra Short and the NF 2.5-10x42 are great large frame AR options. I've had both and still have a NF on my 308 gasser. I regret getting rid of my 5-20.

I think the S&B 5-20 Ultra Short and the NF 2.5-10x42 are great large frame AR options. I've had both and still have a NF on my 308 gasser. I regret getting rid of my 5-20.

I have looked at a few of the “short” scopes and really like some of them. I decided that weight is not a concern for the rifle so I am going back to the longer options.

Had an SHV F1 on the 308 and an AMG on the GAP10 260. When I sold the GAP10, the AMG went on the 308 and I sold the SHV, only because it was redundant. It is quite an excellent scope for the money.

seen this old thread and thought id bring it back up. I myself am looking into a great setup for my for my sass. I'm leaning towards either a vortex pst or a Leopold[ not sure which model yet] budget isnt much of a concern but like to keep around a grand for the scope. anythoughts?

I had a Gen 1 2.5-10x32 pst on one of mine years ago and it worked well, I shot it out to 1k several times. If budget isn’t a problem I would go with something bette. I ended up with a Gen 2 Razor…

i have a gen II razor 1-6 on a bcm recce build i did . its an awesome scope. but the higher magnification scope is to heavy . weight is my only concern . Id rather go with something under 2 lbs. my rifle already weighs in at almost 12 lbs

I would highly recommend looking at the Arken Optics Gen2 series of scopes. Awesome scopes, superb glass, and great people to work with. Their 4-16 version is $399, and their 6-24 version is $449. Lifetime warranty, illuminated reticle, FFP, and zero stop!! Awesome!!

DK

Attachments

• 74859B44-9955-464A-A52E-FD9A0B3C1ACC.jpeg
      74859B44-9955-464A-A52E-FD9A0B3C1ACC.jpeg
      493.7 KB · Views: 72
    Hello,

I have been trying to find a mount for an old scope I have, 30mm body Tasco Custom Shop 8-40x56 Target
    I want to mount it on my 308 Seekins SP10.
    I need some type of really high mount for the 56mm OB bell, it also has some kind of flip up cap.
    Total diameter with filp up cap = 75mm

Am I asking too much?

Just trying to get by while researching a real option for the SP10.

Last edited:
    Hello,

I have been trying to find a mount for an old scope I have, 30mm body Tasco Custom Shop 8-40x56 Target
    I want to mount it on my 308 Seekins SP10.
    I need some type of really high mount for the 56mm OB bell, it also has some kind of flip up cap.
    Total diameter with filp up cap = 75mm

Am I asking too much?

Just trying to get by while researching a real option for the SP10.

AR/MSR mounts should be 1.5" from the rail to the scope's centerline. Those should work, but check dimensions as Warne seems to have different heights for their "MSR Ideal Height" offerings and at least one Burris is 1.3". Also, avoiding a canted mount can buy some room out front.

If you need even more room, Warne and a few others offer 1.9" high mounts.

Reactions: buggz
    AR/MSR mounts should be 1.5" from the rail to the scope's centerline. Those should work, but check dimensions as Warne seems to have different heights for their "MSR Ideal Height" offerings and at least one Burris is 1.3". Also, avoiding a canted mount can buy some room out front.

Thanks!

75 Millimeters = 2.9527559 Inches
    2.9527559 / 2 = 1.47637795 scope clearance

or, to bottom of scope body:
    30mm/2= 15 mm = 0.591 inches
    0.591/2 = 0.2955
    1.47637795 - 0.2955 = 1.18087795

Last edited:
    75 Millimeters = 2.9527559 Inches
    2.9527559 / 2 = 1.47637795 scope clearance

or, to bottom of scope body:
    30mm/2= 15 mm = 0.591 inches
    0.591/2 = 0.2955
    1.47637795 - 0.2955 = 1.18087795
    I don't think those maths add up, also the dimensions listed were to the scope centerline...

So, 1.5 - 1.48 = 0.02" clearance...

Some AR mounts are 1.53", so 0.050" clearance.

I don't think those maths add up, also the dimensions listed were to the scope centerline...

So, 1.5 - 1.48 = 0.02" clearance...

Some AR mounts are 1.53", so 0.050" clearance.
    Bummer, that would be way too tight.
    Hmm...

i like a heads up, eyes open setup. you do you.

Im running a NF NXS F1 3.5-15x50 H58 on my 20” 7.62 LMT.

May swap It out with a 4-15 ATACR, but I am a Khales fan so wouldn’t mind a 5-25 SKMR3 either

Bummer, that would be way too tight.
    Hmm...

It's probably enough clearance... That's the clearance to the handguard rail. So as long as the rail flexes less than that, you should be fine. I don't think any of my AR handguards flex that much.