• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for AR15 100-800 yards

wheelchairman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2008
Lebanon Mo
As title states, Use will be 100-800 steel/paper target shooting with an AR15 24" 1/8 twist Wilson Stainless Match. Currently, the scope is a 4-16x42 Nikon Monarch SF Mildot with MOA turrets. It's SFP. The current setup works good out to 400 but after that the scope is just really out of its element. Plus, I'm spoiled by using other shooters guns with NF, USO and S&B to name a few.

I'd like to keep the purchase under 1300 with rings. Mag range no more than 24 I'd be fine with a min of 6. I want a mil/mil and would prefer FFP but realize I can't get FFP and NF for this price range.

The PST I'm lookin at is the 6-24x50 FFP MRAD. Retail is 950. 900 Used. It's a 30mm tube.You know the scope.

The HDMR is 3.5-21x50 with 34mm tube. Used is roughly 1200.How is the glass on this? I like the beef the 34mm and elevation it offers.

The NF, I'm really needing a suggestion on the model. The 3.5-15 could be ok and used is roughly 1200 on the exchange here. What about the benchrest models? I realize these usually have a high mag of 32 or so.

Last is the Weaver tactical 4-20x50 FFP mil/mil. I really like the price on this but know little about it.

What do you think?

Re: Scope for AR15 100-800 yards

I've used a PST 6-24 on my AR15 and really liked it but it was a little too much glass for the rifle. I can/have shot consistently shot 800 with the AR so it's capable. I actually put a vortex viper HS 5-15 from midway and it fits the rifle very nicely and gets the job done. Nothing against the PST though, I just bought another one to put on a .308 bolt gun.

Swfa 5-20 should work for you. Check the classifieds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wheelchairman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As title states, Use will be 100-800 steel/paper target shooting with an AR15 24" 1/8 twist Wilson Stainless Match. Currently, the scope is a 4-16x42 Nikon Monarch SF Mildot with MOA turrets. It's SFP. The current setup works good out to 400 but after that the scope is just really out of its element. Plus, I'm spoiled by using other shooters guns with NF, USO and S&B to name a few.

I'd like to keep the purchase under 1300 with rings. Mag range no more than 24 I'd be fine with a min of 6. I want a mil/mil and would prefer FFP but realize I can't get FFP and NF for this price range.

Is this a 5.56? Sounds maybe more like a Grendal?

The PST I'm lookin at is the 6-24x50 FFP MRAD. Retail is 950. 900 Used. It's a 30mm tube.You know the scope.

The HDMR is 3.5-21x50 with 34mm tube. Used is roughly 1200.How is the glass on this? I like the beef the 34mm and elevation it offers.

The NF, I'm really needing a suggestion on the model. The 3.5-15 could be ok and used is roughly 1200 on the exchange here. What about the benchrest models? I realize these usually have a high mag of 32 or so.

Last is the Weaver tactical 4-20x50 FFP mil/mil. I really like the price on this but know little about it.

What do you think? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD2Colo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't count out Leupold's FFP mk 4s, not bad tor the $ imo </div></div>

The SWFA will have better HD glass however.

The HDMR or SWFA mentioned above would be your best bets. Will probably need 20-30 MOA canted base. 800 yds will be stretching it, but can be done with your barrel and right ammo. Good Luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huber Tuber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD2Colo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't count out Leupold's FFP mk 4s, not bad tor the $ imo </div></div>

The SWFA will have better HD glass however. </div></div>

The SWFA or PST will have better about everything. Leupold makes a good scope, but "not bad for the money" is no where near a accurate description. Leupold prices themselves as nightforce quality but are no where near that league

I have the monarch you mentioned and agree with its shortcomings. For my long range pdog gun I put on a hdmr with horus. $1200 used. The glass is as good as any ive looked through. Better than SS 5-20, leupy vxiii. Far better than nikon monarch.

I'm going to put this out there as another option...

Sightron SIII 6-24
Comes in either Mil/Mil ~$800 or Moa/Moa (Nicer) ~$850
I believe 100 MOA elevation travel on this model (100-800 yards your shooting)
30mm (more mounting options)
SFP
Solid, stable parallax adjustment

From other consensus, glass is better than the PST and Weaver, often compared with NF. The Sightron does not have illumination on this model.

The HDMR is a completely different animal. 34mm mounting will be more limited and expensive. I don't mean as a deterrent at all, only to consider the additional price for nice mounting within your budget. If your needs would be better served by FFP then the HDMR would be a great buy.

If you're shooting mostly paper/target and can go SFP, you can get a nicer mount/rings and still come within budget.

Just another idea to bring to the table,
Good luck with your search-

Yeah FFP isn't a need. Just if I'm gonna spend that much coin, I wanna be setup as good as possible. The gun isn't a Grendel. It's a 223 Wylde chamber. Barrel is a Wilson stainless match 1/8 that loves the 75/77 pills.

The sightron scope is interesting. Ill research it more. The last scope linked to is roughly 1k over budget before tax and rings. Think I will pass on it.

As far as 30 to 34 mm tubes, the ring price is a consideration to the budget but if its worth an extra 100, so be it.

This was easier when my budget was 350. Went the monarch route because it was the best in the price. Not much to decifer. Fast forward 2/3 years and lots of companies make good scopes under a grand.

I have an HDMR, but not on an AR. It's an outstanding optic. Do a search for reviews. The G2 is the reticle to go with. Watch the "For Sale" for good deals.

Curious - where does the "$100 more" come from for rings?

Kevin

Just a generalization of a prior poster saying 34mm being more expensive than 30mm rings. I haven't priced out many 34mm sets so just gave a broad number.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huber Tuber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MD2Colo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't count out Leupold's FFP mk 4s, not bad tor the $ imo </div></div>

The SWFA will have better HD glass however. </div></div>

The SWFA or PST will have better about everything. Leupold makes a good scope, but "not bad for the money" is no where near a accurate description. Leupold prices themselves as nightforce quality but are no where near that league </div></div>

I agree about the SWFA HD but not the PST. Leupld glass is better than PST glass hands down. PST glass is not that great compared to a MK4.

You can get a Bushnell 6-24x50 FFP scope and the best rings and still have cash left over.

I LOVE mine. I do wish it went lower than 6, but I love the power at the top end. And in its price range, it is unmatched, in my opinion.

Weaver tactical 4-20 won't get you to 800. The 3-15 will. The 3-15x50 can be had for about $800 and used for even less. I don't think that dollar for dollar you'll beat it. Weaver model number 800363 gets my vote.