• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for Bergara B-14 HMR

Rathmatik

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2020
KCMO
Howdy all,

I'm planning to get a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor soon, and have been trying to decide on what scope to get and how much to spend. The purpose of this rifle will be for hunting as well as target shooting. I only have access to 100yd ranges right now, but would love to shoot at longer distances in the future.

I'm curious what the typical suggestion is for cost of scope vs. cost of rifle. So, these are the current options I'm looking at:
  • Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP
  • Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 SFP
  • Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44 SFP
  • Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP
I know that with FFP, the reticle zooms with the magnification, so also wonder how the DBK Tactical works in low light without an illuminated reticle. It seems like the HST is the best middle option, and the PST is best of all options (being FFP and illuminated). I'm just not sure if I should jump to that price point.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I'm currently in a similar boat as you looking for a scope for my 308 HMR. I have decided on the Leupold vx3i LRP 6.5x20-50 line after considering Vortex scopes. I'm stuck between the decision of second or first focal plane and two different reticles using either plane. Im wondering at what magnification will I be able to see and actually use the reticle since its grows and shrinks and if it will even be very visible on mixed terrain backgrounds. Most my shooting I know the ranges of targets already but it would be nice to accurately range if I had to at any power for hunting, which I don't really do. Second focal I know will be visible at any power but only usable at its highest magnification which is probably where I would be most of the time regardless of first focal plane or second.

The Diamondback Tactical does not perform very adequately in low light, the reticle will get lost in the background against trees and brush. It's an entry level precision rifle optic that tracks well and has decent image quality in daylight conditions but the reticle is too thin for low light. FFP has many advantages over SFP but if you plan to use this optic for hunting also, it will be beneficial to get one with illumination.

Reactions: Firegrunt03
I believe you'll be disappointed in the diamondback for low light situations, I know I am, granted I'm using a slightly different variant of the bdk, the 3-12x42 hp.

It sounds like you like vortex lines pretty well, and that's fine, but there are several good options out there:
meopta optika 6 3-18. FFP and capped windage
bushnell lrhsi 4.5-18. FFP and capped windage
sorry- i'm spacing out on other scopes that meet my need of FFP and capped windage... I know there are more.

Thanks for the feedback, yeah I'm really leaning towards the PST Gen II. I like the fact that the EBR-2C reticle works with ranging at all magnification levels due to it being FFP. With SFP the ranging would only work at max if I understand correctly. The illumination seems to make up for the small reticle size at low magnification, plus it would be great with any lighting condition.

Guess I'll have to bite the bullet, as it were.

The PST Gen2 is vastly superior to the HST, it's not even close in performance.

If you can afford it go that route.

• Love
Follow up question: Would a Seekins 0 MOA scope base and Vortex Pro Series 30mm rings work well with this setup?

I would get the 20 MOA base just for peace of mind to make sure I had enough elevation adjustment and the Pro Series rings are good to go.

Ah okay, gotcha. I imagine it would be more useful at rather long distances, but I guess why not if they are only $4 more on Amazon. Thanks!

Definitely get the 20 moa base so you’re covered there. And get the gen II if you can. Better features + better glass = happier you. I always used to try and skimp out of cost and think I could make it work...and my wife scolded me for always spending more money in the end when I wasn’t satisfied.

Reactions: Rathmatik
An early heads up for the members here. We will be announcing a "While Doug is at SHOT Show" sale on the Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 3-12x44 Flat Dark Earth - G3 for only $599.99
Right now you can call in, 516-217-1000, and mention this forum and we will honor the price as we have not officially announced this yet. This sale will run through Sunday 1/26 or until we are sold out

Definitely get the 20 moa base so you’re covered there. And get the gen II if you can. Better features + better glass = happier you. I always used to try and skimp out of cost and think I could make it work...and my wife scolded me for always spending more money in the end when I wasn’t satisfied.
My wife must be related to your wife🤣