• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Scope for Colt 6920- Help

jammerone

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2011
United States
Hey all,

New to this, will not be shooting long range, bought new 6920 and looking to scope it. I have hunting rifels with Leupold, and Zeiss scope, want to use this rifle for coyote hunting, plus over 55 eyes are not as great as they were. Looking at a HARM scope from Leupold. Any suggestions? Like to target shoot to 200 yards as well.
Any opinions are appreciated.
Thanks
Bill in Memphis

Re: Scope for Colt 6920- Help

Go big T!

For the coyotes, in that price range, check this out:
opplanet-eotech-mpo-ii-hws-magnifier.png

Note the two dots - the center dot is good at 50 and 200 yards, the bottom dot at 500 yards. If needed, the bottom of the 65 moa circle is 7 yards.

I like how fast the reticle is in use. the 1 moa dot will subtend (obscure) 2" at 200 yards, so it may not be the best choice for target work.

The 3X magnifier is on a spring-loaded hinge, so you can switch back and forth quickly.

Mark H.

You may want to look at a low variable power scope. The Mark 4 MR/T 2.5-8 would be ideal for shots from 20 yards out to over 400 yards if you ever need it. Anything in the 2-8 magnification range is ideal for both hunting and target shooting, and the extra magnification is there when you need it. We have a few of each flavor (reticle and turret) in stock. Give me a call if you'd like too.

Trevor B

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: william ryan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, what model is that reddot??? </div></div>

It looks like it's this guy: EOTech XPS2-0 Non-Night Vision 65MOA Ring and 1 MOA Dot. The magnifier is a "flippable" 3x which mounts to the rear of the Eotech.

Personally, I'd avoid a setup like this. It's pretty complicated and requires you to buy two pieces of gear that are about $400+ each. If you're shooting dusk/dawn you might want to get an illuminated scope like the Millet DMS (it's a 1x-4x), which is around $220, or a Nikon Tactical .223 in 1x-4x. They're around $320. You can find nice low-mag scopes for a budget of $200 to $1200; it all depends upon how much abuse you intend put the rig to. An extraordinary value is the SuperSniper 1-4x scope; it's pricier at around $700 but it's competitive with scopes 2x the price.

Good luck.

Some excellent advice above, small variable possibly with illuminated reticle would be a nice setup

If your carbine will also be used for defensive purposes, then you might wish to consider a variable-power scope with as close to 1x on the low end and a daylight-visible illuminated reticle. Alternatively, a viable red-dot sight (Aimpoint) in a good quick-detach mount (LaRue) that can be swapped for a higher-magnification scope in a similar mount could provide dual capability.

I threw a Millett DMS-1 on an RRA carbine just to test it; the original plan was for an Aimpoint. The DMS-1 has been on there for 3 years now...

I would consider a NightForce 2.510X32 NXS with reticle of your choice. If 4X is wnough magnification then the NF 1-4X24 NXS. Iuse the 1-4X on my LMT out to 200 yards.

I'm not goint to tell you I shoot like this all the time but these groups were shot with a Colt 6920 using handloads and a SWFA SS 1-4X24 at 500 yards. I have taken several Prairie Dogs with it past 300 yards. My eyes are a little older than yours.

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

[img

Same rig and ammo at 600 yards
[img

Same at 700 yards
[img

SWFA SS1-4X24, LMT MWS with M118LR ammo at 700 yards
[img

Second group on above target with same rig and ammo
[img

The glass in this scope is excellent as are the adjustments. I have killed thousands of Prairie Dogs in the last 40 years and the Colt has replaced a nice CZ527 as my walk around gun. It is within your budget and may still have a group buy going. Good luck.

Prarie Dog Dundee,
What bullets are you using? That's very impressive shooting with a carbine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Prarie Dog Dundee,
What bullets are you using? That's very impressive shooting with a carbine. </div></div>

Thanks. Ammo is a handload; 24.1 grains of RL15 under a Hornady 75 grain HPBT, in LC brass and a Remington 7 1/2 primer. Brass is once fired, trimed, uniformed flash hole and sorthed by weight.

My RRA 24" Varminter likes this load. 700 yards with SS 1-4
[img

My Colt A4, (Colt lower with Colt M16A4 upper) is just OK with the load. 600 yards.
[img

Same excellent scope used during scope testing. The load is not as hot as MK262 but has been more accurate.

I second the low power variable optic. All the reviews of the SWFA SS HD 1-4x24 have been fantastic. I just ordered one for my AR-10. It should be good for what you describe. SWFA is having a group buy on them right now. If you go to the group buy section and click on the SWFA group buy you will see the various kits. I purchased Kit 3 which has the scope, AR mount, lens caps, and a quick focus adjuster all for the price of the scope. I would check it out!