• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope for DD5 18” 6.5

Bailey22

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2019
I’m looking to change scopes on my DD5. I currently have a vortex viper pst 3-15 but am wanting to cut some weight by going to a little bit light scope. A buddy recommended a 1-6 pst for it. I have never used lvpo scopes and was curious if that would be a good setup for it. I primarily hunt deer from a blind with it out to about 400 max most shots are 200 and in. I like this rifle for blind and stand hunting due to how compact it is. My current scope is 28 oz so kind of heavy for this platform I feel and the 1-6 is 22 oz. Do you guys think the weight trade off is worth the loss of magnification?

For what you want to do with the rifle a 1-6 could certainly get it done but if it was me I'd look at options in the 2-10X space. The NF 2.5-10X42 wouldn't be a bad choice, it's about 21 oz, compact, has parallax adjustment, and a zero stop. The Trijicon Credo 2-10X36 is also an option coming in at 23 oz. You don't lose much magnification and fits well with what you want to do.

Keep what you have and throw on a 45 degree offset mount for a micro redot. Or just a 45 degree offset iron site set. Back to work deer slayer.

I have a Burris RT-6 on my 22" WC 6.5C. It is light (17.4 oz) and works well. I hunted with it this year and with that scope I could take any shot out to 400 yards easily.

The weight trade-off is absolutely worth the loss of magnification.

Last edited:
For what you want to do with the rifle a 1-6 could certainly get it done but if it was me I'd look at options in the 2-10X space. The NF 2.5-10X42 wouldn't be a bad choice, it's about 21 oz, compact, has parallax adjustment, and a zero stop. The Trijicon Credo 2-10X36 is also an option coming in at 23 oz. You don't lose much magnification and fits well with what you want to do.
There is also the Tenmile 3-18x44 at 24 oz.

I wonder how noticeable the difference would be...

OP, have you considered something like a 3-9 or 3-12? Those can be had pretty well under 20oz (I think Trijicon makes one as light as 13oz without illumination or 17oz with).

There is also the Tenmile 3-18x44 at 24 oz.

I wonder how noticeable the difference would be...

OP, have you considered something like a 3-9 or 3-12? Those can be had pretty well under 20oz (I think Trijicon makes one as light as 13oz without illumination or 17oz with).
The Accupoint 3-9 is 13 ounces *and* is illuminated.

Reactions: Naaman