• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Scope for elk rifle

ThrottleJ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2008
SW Oregon
So I have been using a 300 mag browning bar for elk since last season. It currently has a trijicon 2.5-10x56 accupoint on it. I just fell into a swarovski z3 4-12x50 and I am thinking about switching to it. I have been debating with myself about it and cannot come to a definite best solution The swarovski is less bulky and is probably a better quality scope. One advantage of the accupoint is that it's already on the rifle and it did work fine to kill a bull last year. Should I switch to the z3 or if it ain't broke don't fix it? What do you think?

Re: Scope for elk rifle

I would have to say that you should weigh the options and use what suits you. The swaro is a bit of a better scope but as you stated, the trijicon is already there and successful. I am switching my elk scopes up this year ONLY because I am putting the current scope on one of his rifles as I have a spare sightron laying in the safe and we are trying to save as much money for the hunt as possbile. hth

Easy answer, buy another rifle to put under the Swaro.
Your welcome
grin.gif

How often can you draw a Tioga 1st Season tag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstryder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have to say that you should weigh the options and use what suits you. The swaro is a bit of a better scope but as you stated, the trijicon is already there and successful. I am switching my elk scopes up this year ONLY because I am putting the current scope on one of his rifles as I have a spare sightron laying in the safe and we are trying to save as much money for the hunt as possbile. hth</div></div>
It's like picking ice cream. Neither choice is bad but one might be better. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy answer, buy another rifle to put under the Swaro.
Your welcome
grin.gif
</div></div>
Why didn't I think of that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voracious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How often can you draw a Tioga 1st Season tag?</div></div>
Don't know. I've never done that hunt.

Best hunt in the State with a rifle. Odd that it is a rock toss away and yet unknown.

Best tag in the state and you want your hand held? Tioga is flush with public lands,get off your cunt and hunt.

I was not impressed at all with the optics in the Z3, as they washed out under higher magnification. In my eyes the trijicon had more clearity with the scope turned up. Not sure how they stack up against each other in the low light though.

Not to compare apples to oranges, but... I have a Nightforce 2.5-10 and find that hunting around in the thick stuff on 2.5 power is quite handy. i find that 10x is sufficient for longer shots on elk sized game... my 2..

I would say stick with the 2.5 - 10. Its a big animal and if you are far enough away you can dial up the magnification for a long shot. If you think of it when you go from spotting with binos or the naked eye then move to the scope it can take some time to find the target, exspecially if you are excited.

Buy a new rifle for the new scope .338 ultra mag or .300 Weatherby the balistics (bullet drop) kick the shit out of the 300 wm. Especially going from a 180gr to a 200gr in weatherby or 220gr 338 ultra. That swarovski z3 4-12x50 would kick ass with those calibers.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I will stick with the accupoint on this rifle. I am probably going to be listing the Swarovski in the for sale section this weekend. If anyone would be interested in it feel free to shoot me a PM.