• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Scope for light weight rifle Swaro Z5 or????

R H Clark

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2017
I'm scoping a new to me Forbes 24B in 270. My intention is to set this up as a 400-500 yard gun which would be long range hunting for me. When I purchased this rifle I bought a SWFA 3-9 MQ for it but quickly learned that scope wouldn't allow ejection with the windage turret due to a high ejection angle. I stole the scope off my rimfire,a VX2 4-12 AO just to test accuracy. It shoots very well with 1/2 to 3/4 MOA being very repeatable, and ejects perfectly with the low profile windage cap of the VX2 4-12.

My requirements for a scope are light weight, with a small windage adjustment cap or dial,and I seem to need a bit more than 3.5 inches of eye relief or at least a longer tube than a couple of 3.5" eye relief scopes I tried. A couple of Kahles I had on hand with 3.5 ER didn't work well for eye relief in Talley Lightweights. I have a rail for it but would rather not add the weight of rail and rings. Budget is $2000 but hopefully less.

Right now the Swaro Z5 3.5-18X44 with 4w reticle and turret is my top pick. I am however intrigued by the new VX6 HD 2-12X42 listed at 16.8 ounces. I wish it has a SF and the size of the windage turret concerns me.

Basically I was wanting input on opinions between these two scopes and making sure I hadn't overlooked anything else that might better fit my requirements. Any idea on the dependability and repeatability of the tracking between the Leupold and Swaro?

I have a Z5 in 3.5-18x44 and like the scope in general but I am having trouble with the eyebox on it. It is really picky about head position. I'm having a bit of trouble with my eyes at the moment so I'm off for a visit with an ophthalmologist to find out what is up. When I bought the scope a couple of years ago there were no issues so it may, indeed be me.

I have a Z5 in 3.5-18x44 and like the scope in general but I am having trouble with the eyebox on it. It is really picky about head position. I'm having a bit of trouble with my eyes at the moment so I'm off for a visit with an ophthalmologist to find out what is up. When I bought the scope a couple of years ago there were no issues so it may, indeed be me.

I understand the eye box being small at 18X but my experience is that's the case with any scope I've used. I compared the Z5 in the store to some others and at 3.5X-12X I didn't notice the eye box being worse than my current scopes of similar power of 3-10 and 4-12. The VX6 is known for a good eye box so the Z5 may not be quite that good but I didn't notice it as being particularly bad.

I am a Leupold fan and recently picked up a vx6 3-18 (CDS, zero lock with the windplex reticle). It may be a little much for a forbes though. at 19oz. The glass is plenty good enough for a hunting rifle. I haven't had a chance to test the tracking yet, so that is still in the back of my mind, but its sitting on a 7lb rifle and fits perfect, imo.