• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2019
Hey Folks,

Wanted to see if there were any suggestions on an upgraded scope for Mammoth. I'm currently running a Viper PST Gen 2 EBR-2C but didn't like that the windage turret tends to get knocked out of true, its clicks are pretty mushy, and the reticle only has 0.5 mil subtensions. I came into a new Vortex Razor Gen 2 on the cheap, but at 48 oz, it's pretty chunky for a field match, so I might end up selling it on the Hide to purchase a lighter alternative.
  • What is the platform for the scope? Bolt action
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 6.5 CM/.308
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Field matches, would like to flex to PRS and hunting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight, maybe dusk for hunting
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 600-1000 yards
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, 34mm tube, mil, weight ~32 oz, locking turrets or at least capped windage. Prefer a christmas tree reticle.
  • What is the price range you can afford? $800-$1400, happy to buy used
I've been looking at:
Burris XTR III (optional capped windage) 5.5-30x SCR 2, 32 oz, $1300ish
Tract Toric 4.5-30x56, 40 oz
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25, 30 oz, would have to buy used at $2k msrp
Or just keeping the Razor and getting stronger haha

Appreciate the advice!

Leupold MK 5HD has been pretty good in a field match role for me. Is not illuminated in the PR-2 reticle and they charge a lot extra for the illumination in other reticles. It does have capped windage which is good in a field gun as you seem to be aware.

Don’t have much experience with the Burris XTR III but @D_TROS seems to do “ok” with them in field matches. 😉

Bushnell XRS3 6-36
Athlon Cronus 4.5-29
Leupold MK5 5-25 PR-2

No experience with the XTR3 but I really really liked the XTR Pro I tried but that might be over your budget.

I'd stick with the Razor. I do like my XTRIII but if you're going to be shooting in dark areas in dim light illumination would be helpful. I have a few of the Athlon Cronus and a couple Ares, they track well, glass is pretty good and I haven't broken one yet, they also have illumination.

Keep Razor or XTR3.
if you are used to (and like) the wide FOV of the PST then the Mark 5 and Tract will both seem very narrow.

I went from a PST to a Delta Stryker (basically same as the Tract) and find myself increasingly annoyed at the narrow FOV. Now the Illuminated XTR3s are out I'll be upgrading my remaining PSTs to XTR3s and selling my Stryker for a XTR3 or XTR Pro.

Some people don't feel as strongly about FOV as I do but it's hard to "unlearn" once you are used to it.

Ended up putting a deposit on a XTRIII from CameraLand. Look out for a new Razor Gen II showing up on the hide PX for sale soon hah. Thanks y'all!