• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope for my .44

mdslammer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
<span style="font-size: 8pt">(Apologies if this is the wrong section)</span>

Gotta Ruger Super Redhawk .44 magnum with a 7.5" barrel. It came with scope rings.
I was contemplating putting a scope on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Scope for my .44

I have a Leu 2X on my Freedom Arms 454 & a Leu 2.5-8 on my 375 JDJ hand cannon and have had no problems with them.
If it were mine , I'd put a Leu 2X on it

I have used a Aimpoint 9000 on a S&W 44 I shot a deer with this year. Worked pretty slick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WTW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used a Aimpoint 9000 on a S&W 44 I shot a deer with this year. Worked pretty slick. </div></div>

Very cool. I was checking into the Aimpoint 9000SC. It's offered in 2 MOA and 4 MOA. Which do you recommend?

Thanks.

The one I used I borrowed from a friend of mine. It was the 2 MOA version. I like the smaller dot because you can have a little more precise aiming point. The doe that I shot was 50 yards out and with a secure rest was able to make a well placed shot that brought her down where she was at.

I've got a 4x Leupold on my 454 SRHawk. Wish I had gone with 2x because while the 4x is nice for 100 yds, most deer I shoot with it are about 40-60 yds. FOV can be a PITA with the 4x pistol scope up close. It has been flawless through several hundred heavy loads.

I used a Leupold 2-8 on my 9.5" Super Redhawk and a Bushnell Elite Handgun 2-6x32 on my S&W 686-6. I liked both of these scopes a lot so those two have my vote.

My SRH has been wearing a Bushnell 2-6x since Day 1, which has been probably 20 years now.

20111128072854.jpg

If this is to be your hunting gun then I think a dot works best for most situations. I've had no problems out to 200 yards with mine on my Super Blackhawk. This dot has held up well for many years on full house loads and never fails to perform.

sskruger44ul0.jpg

My Freedom 44 has a 2.5 - 8 Leupold but it's setup for very long range testing but is very impractical on a revolver in most situations. This setup is strictly for bench work out to 500 yards.

freedommount2.jpg

This shows the two extremes you can go to for revolvers but a lot depends on what your intended use will be and that should be your criteria for what you buy.

A 2X such as the Leupold is a good compromise especially where some of your shots will be offhand. If you're thinking of a 4X or variable I'd try to find someone that has one so you can see how you like it in various positions before spending the money on one, I personally don't like a variable power scope on my hunting handguns since it is usually on the wrong power.

One thing nice about the dot for hunting is you don't have to hunt for the crosshairs in the woods or low light conditions. Very quick to bring on target and track on an animal.

Topstrap

I had a Super Redhawk in 44Mag with an Aimpoint 1.5MOA red dot, absolutely loved it.

Seen here next the the 9.5" 454 Casull with the 2.5-8 Leupold
Rugers004.jpg

Now I run a Super Blackhawk in 44Mag with a 4x Leupold. Its a bit much at times, I would rather have a 2x on it.
_PAS0088.jpg

Yes I know, nice french tip nails
smile.gif

My handguns are used for Hunting. Last year I had to quickly pull the 4x scope off the 44 and use the Iron sights to take a Russian Boar at 10 yards in old corn stock and brush. May not have had to with a 2x. A red dot would have been ideal in that situation.

I used my Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh with a 2.5-8 Leupold to take a Cow Elk at 40 yards, I think I was around 4x power. No real need to have more then 4x unless your shooting paper at more then 100 yards IMHO.

The I love the Leupold 2.5-8 for its great field of view and forgiving eyebox (many times better then the 4x). The only problem is, its huge, cumbersome, makes the gun a bit heavy, and finding a holster is a bitch (had custom rigs made).

You can see the my Freedom Arms with the 2.5-8 on the right. Even on my 45-70 Marlin I use a 1.5-4 and love it! Even at 100+ yards its all I need (target in background 50 yards 5 shots 45-70).
45-70_4.jpg

I would recommend you look at some of the red dot scopes or no more then 2x.