• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope for my boy

still_N_29palms

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Somerville, Alabama
OK, first I know this is reduntant, SECOND, I am getting my 12yr old son a Larue .308Predator with surefire muzzel break for christmass this year. This will be his first HP rifle from me( actually I am trying to talk the wife in letting me get 2 of them hehehehe). I plan to teach him the joys and ALL the in and outs of shooting scoped rifles from 100-800yrds+ and it will also be his primary hunting rifle. My price range is no more than $600 before tax for a FFP Mil type scope.

I have just bout decided on SWFA SS 3-9X42 tactical, read a decent writeup by Lowlight on it. should be enough to suit him as a first scope I think. But the are other choices out there and I realy tend to stick to vortex for myself cause I have never had a problem with my other 3. I have 3 scops in mind but I would like imput for you experts with RL experiances with scopes. I am especially interested in durability. yes I know get what you pay for.......

I have found....
Millett 6-25X56 LRS-1 ( know nothing obout it)

SWFA SS 3-9X42 ( lowlight had a good write up on it)

falcon Menace 5.5-25 X56 tactical (seems like mixed reviews on it, kinda like a 50/50 crap shoot)

any others I should look at please let me know

Re: scope for my boy

ok After a hour of using the search engine here I found millet scope reviews, millet is out of question. I dont know much bout the starwars scope( falcon menance) but after everything I read SWFA SS is the best scope for the coin. I would buy beter for my son just afraid he wont take good care of it yet. Still need input from yall bout this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you adopt me? </div></div>

Me too. All I ever got was a youth 870 shotty.

I would get a swfa 10x fixed or save just a bit and get a vortex pst 4-16.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you adopt me? </div></div>

sorry only room for two kids here, Me and my boy.

I did not come to the Larue lightly. He asked me for a .270 like my weatherby. I and i almost got it for him. However he is still small in stature even for a 12yr old. Larue is just as accurate if not more. Collapsible stock and the .308 is more than enough caliber to kill anything in the U.S. Rounds are cheap to buy and reload. Remmington has a "AR" style for 1400 dollars but the lifetime guarentee extreamly tight QC and tollarances sold me. I got the pleasure to tour the facility 3 months ago in Austin. I just stopped ( while passing through) in and talked a bit and asked for a tour. They were happy to and friendly. I got offered a deal to get the 16" OBR and the 16" predator both with the magpull stock and surefire muzzel break for $5400. but I cannot convince the wife to let me get both. I think I will anyways.

the fixed seems like a very reasonable idea I learned on on a 4 power and 10 power fixed. He has a ruger 10/22 with a fixed 4x and is darn good with it, but I realy want to teach him right by using the scope as a ranging tool and not use a range finder. A varriable scope is much easier to do that with accuracy. Fixed powers have a error with me, especially at getting out there past 700 yrds. 10x in my opinion is to high for closer targets (30-60yrds)in woods. In essence I am asking alot. a good all round scope for all shooting aspects. But if I believe what I read SWFA( tasco) has it nailed. but not sold on it yet.

Hey Dad aka e-6,

At least you got him a 308 he can use it for deer hunting! I'm not sure how this will hold up to a pounding a 308 will give but I have heard everything good about this scope..

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 Riflescopes $699

You might be able to find it on sale. I would have said either the Leupold AR series or the Nikon M223 series for the BDC reticle for a beginner. I really like the M223 and I think you can get it calibrated for 308 but not 100% sure. You did not say anything about illumination! You like Vortex and this one is illuminated... I'd by this if i was not having to send it to the war zone so my son is getting a bit more of a high end scope for his next tour..

Ty shooter,
I have giving the vortex some serious thought. I have the one mentioned on another stick and thought about giving it to my son. I think it best he saves up on his own. till then I want to give him a good scope not too expensive. Am seriously looking at that scope as a option now. thank you.

I pray your son stays safe across the big pond. Been there a couple of times myself.

Sgt,

Thanks for the kind words for my son. Hopefully the next time i'm on here he will be in transit...

I would really look at the Leupold AR series or the Nikon M223 series. I think the Leupold AR is very similar to the M223 and the great thing about the M223 is with one turn from a knob your son will be able to go from 100 yrds to 200 then two 400 or same thing but with the BDC reticle. The BDC reticle looks to be very user friendly and I think the newer scopes in the future will be more high tech.

Since you have this scope you know...
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2814585&gonew=1#UNREAD

Good luck!

Another good option would be the Bushnell 3-12 FFP. I have seen them sell for under 600 used here, I think there is one for sale in the classifieds right now actually.

I wouldn't get the nikon m223 millet falcon etc. Super Sniper 10X, Weaver Grand Slam 3-10X, those are good 300 buck options. Super Sniper 3-9 FFP is a very solid scope and I think there is still a group buy going for it + a mount for 600$.

You could also build your own rifle father son project etc. Food for thought.

I had the weaver tactical 3-10, it was ok but not impressive. I now have the falcon menace 5.5-25x50. Its a great scope, but big, and heavy for a hunting rig. For $600 id go with the SS 3-9. Its light, ftp, has great glass, and excellent resale for when he upgrades later.

I got my daughter a USO ST-10, it's simple and easy to have her start milling targets. You don't have to mess with power or anything.

Just want to say ty to all responds, I did look at and review all scopes mentioned. Wife cleared me hot for getting 2 rifles so I will go with one each Vortex and SS and I will do a side by side comparison on each.

Once again Thank you for your help.

Look at Weavers FFP 3-15x. The 3-15 is a big heavy optic, so while good for bench/prone shooting.. it may be heavy for hunting. The SS offerings are very nice as well.

Edit: I had mentioned the 3-10x Weaver but thought it was FFP, but it's SFP. That being said Lowlight gave it a good review if you decide not to go FFP. I'd rather have a good SFP over a crap FFP... more so, I'f rather have a good FFP than a good SFP.

Lowlight's review:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1993821#Post1993821