• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope for my new pof 308

sgj2025

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2009
west,ky
my 308 is a flat top and looking for a scope that has adjustment out to 800m working off the flat platform without rings that look like the st.louis arch. Have considered premier and s&b, without this thread becoming a scope bashing contest, just looking for a scope that works well on a flat top rifle. Have looked at badger rings and noticed they have some for ar rifles at 1.440 inches was looking more toward a lower mount if I can get away with it. They have a usmc at 1.250 and another at 1 inch but that may be to low for the objective lens. Have looked at the 3x15 varieties but not ruled out the 5x25 s either. anybody out there have any constuctive advice.

Re: scope for my new pof 308

I not exactly sure what your goals are, but a flat topped 308 would need a scope with at least 80" of adjustment, to reach 800 meters. So that would be where I would start. As far as being stuck with lofty rings, keep your objective below 42MM. And even lower would be better.

If you can afford S&B and Premier, you should also consider; not in any particular order preference: USO and Nightforce, then IOR and Leupold. Between the 6 makers you should be able to find something that suits you, and your budget.

Not to slight your desires, but you need to consider which is more important to you, A) higher power scope, ie: greater than 12x or B) lower mounting. Generally you can find some damn fine scopes in the 9x to 10x range, than have objectives smaller than 42MM. A 9x or 10x scope can certainly allow you see and hit a target @ 800 meters. A higher power scope usually means a bigger objective, thus higher rings. No free lunches.....

Bob

Kinda partial to the 1.8 - 10X for a 308 gas gun but a 3.2 - 17X would fit nicely also.

DSC01086.jpg

Cheers,

Doc

If you looking for something along the lines of the S&B or Premier, it will only work with the Premier, on a flat rail the S&B will only reach about 700m, not much more.

The Premier will give you 100% of the travel you need to reach 800mn or even 1000m.

On mine I happen to use a single turn 55moa NF scopes, they have one with 1MOA adjustments that has 55 minutes in a single turn, although I am not sure if it is available to everyone, but that is what I use.

Of all the highest end optics the Premier is probably the best choice for an AR10. its what I have on my Iron Ridge Arms 308.

LaRue makes a mount for the M107 that has 30MOA built in.

It should work for what you describe with any scope.

The Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1 would work nicely on that rifle. Have one on my LR308. Comes with 1" height rings and with the LR308's higher receiver I don't need a riser but if you did, which I think you might, then get a 20 MOA riser. Might be cheaper than a whole set up seeing as the scope comes with rings but you can always sell the rings and get a unimount.
P6210589.jpg

thanks guys,will probably opt for a premier in the 3x15 model, now need to figure the ring height to keep optic as low on the rail as i can get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kinda partial to the 1.8 - 10X for a 308 gas gun but a 3.2 - 17X would fit nicely also.

DSC01086.jpg

Cheers,

Doc</div></div>

Im with DOC76251, I like the SN3 1.8x10 for gas guns.

16bx4qw.jpg

I like IORs but they dont really have a "bunch" of elevation adjustment, most around 75-90 MOA. You could open up your scope choices a bit by using a sloped one piece ringe set also...