• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for new rifle

Armed Citizen

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2011
Michigan
Just picked up a Rem. 700P in .300WM. Looking to use a a game reaper 30mm medium 20MOA mount. Have had luck with them on my hunting rifles, pretty sturdy set up.

Looking to spend $1000 or less. So far the best option for the price point has been a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T M1 4.5-14x50mm through Cal's sporting goods.

What else may I be overlooking at this point in my price range?

Re: Scope for new rifle

You're going to get a zillion responses, some of which will probably be "use the search engine"...

1) Why a 20MOA mount on a 300 win? I only needed ~8 mils for 1k yards with my 26" 300win and it wasn't loaded super hot...

2) Sub 1k I would get a 6-24 FFP PST. Too many good reviews out there to pass it up.

FWIW when I had roughly 1k to spend for a scope for my 308 I ended up with a used 3-18 IOR and it's been great but then I think I'm in the minority here when it comes to IOR...

+1 on the 6-24x Vortex PST.

I'd also recommend the new Sightron 6-24x50m with 1/10 mil knobs, or the 6-24x50mm Bushnell Elite Tactical.

Where in Michigan are you located? I have a Sightron and a few others you're welcome to look through.

Look at the PST line. Either the 4-16 or 6-24 will suit the purpose well.

Thanks for the feedback, I will forget the 20moa mount and get their tactical version instead.

What's the benefit to 40mm vs. 50mm objective other than price?
Most of my hunting scopes are 40mm or less.

You may regret not going with the 20 minute base. There's really no reason not to. If you ever get farther South say to Thunder Valley you'll wish you had that extra 20 minutes of travel when everyone is taking shots at the mile target.

In addition to the above, the Zeiss Conquest, depending on your intended use.

Get a WOTAC 4x14x50 for $325.00 get a 20 MOA weaver base for $40.00 bucks and send me the difference so I can load up some more 300 gr Win Mag loads. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rezmedic54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a WOTAC 4x14x50 for $325.00 get a 20 MOA weaver base for $40.00 bucks and send me the difference so I can load up some more 300 gr Win Mag loads. LOL </div></div>

NO DON'T DO IT. I went through 6 of them on two different rifles, some wouldn't focus (2 weren't too bad, but still sucked) and 3 ended up with canted reticles within 40 rounds out of a 308, 1 on the wife's Mini SASS you would have to refocus after every or every other round.

Save your $