• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope for nrl22/prs22

Golfnut721

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2019
Bloomington Indiana
So I’m torn. Please help advise.

Putting a new scope on the b14r. Getting rid of my US optics TS25 and going with something new.

Option 1. Arken ep5 lots of ammo and maybe a new barrel.

Option 2 Athlon Ares some ammo

Option 3 Athlon Cronus no ammo

Wanting to get a scope that I can run for the next couple years and not sure what route to go.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I’ve got a Athlon Ares gen2 on a RimX, it’s solid but I have an issue with the eye box at high magnification. Now I don’t know if it’s because it’s on a 30MOA rail or what but very twitchy above like 17X but your mileage may vary.

It’s replacement will most likely be the EP5 since it’s a good price and it seems the eyebox is more forgiving from what I can tell.

Reactions: Golfnut721
I owned an Ares ETR and had to sell it due to how finiky the eyebox was at 30x. You might want to check out the Burris XTR3, the eyebox and FOV was nicer than the Ares. My guess is that Liberty Optics might be able to get you a pretty good price on the Burris.

Reactions: King_beardsly
I owned an Ares ETR and had to sell it due to how finiky the eyebox was at 30x. You might want to check out the Burris XTR3, the eyebox and FOV was nicer than the Ares. My guess is that Liberty Optics might be able to get you a pretty good price on the Burris.
They do have a pretty good deal currently going for both

I used to run an Athlon Cronus on my NRL22 rifle before selling it to a member here. I really liked that scope and used it for a season. The only reason why I sold it is because I fell in love with the Nightforce's Mil-XT reticle. Otherwise, I'd probably still be using it.

The XTR3 is a killer scope, especially if you can get a deal on the non illuminated version to save some money.

I'd get the Ares, the only time the eyebox is tight is at max power, and I'm seldom using that unless I'm shooting paper so no rush. For matches I'm usually in the 18-20 magnification range, sometimes 10x if targets are close or there's several to find during a stage. I use a Cronus and I just picked up a Burris 3-18, it will go on a hunting rifle. I like it but I like having more power when shooting paper. It's fun to watch the bullet hitting the target. :)