• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope for nrl22

RandomWAguy

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2012
PNW
Been shooting my Kidd with midas tac on it and its been a great rifle but I really miss having a bolt action too. Decided to pick up a cz 457 to fix up for nrl soon but cant decide on glass for it.

Ive narrowed it down two
Athlon ares etr 4.5-30
Vortex razor 3-18

Price difference is only $250 right now for me.

I have been able to look through the razor but not the etr. I am slightly leaning towards the etr for the magnification on paper and it also has more travel.

Is the razor worth the extra cash?

If the razor is within your price range, wouldn’t the Cronus fall within that range as well?

The Cronus is noticeably better than the ares.

What about the PST gen2. Is that not an option or is it not in the same realm? I was kinda thinking of putting this on the CZ 457 AT-One.

The PST2 is a great scope for the money and will absolutely do the job, but it’s not in the same class as the Razor.

The PST2 is a great scope for the money and will absolutely do the job, but it’s not in the same class as the Razor.

You’re right it’s definitely no razor. I was just thinking vs the athlon and for a 22lr it should be plenty.

If the razor is within your price range, wouldn’t the Cronus fall within that range as well?
This. You can pick up a used Cronus BTR for close to the cost of a new Ares ETR.

It is actually $400 more than what I can get the razor for, $1800 is what I can find new for the Cronus.

It may be true that I can get a used Cronus for less than a new etr but I hate waiting and trying to find a used one, could be weeks or longer with my luck.

As far as the pst gen2, friend has one and wasnt impressed for the money, Id get another midas tac over a pst gen2 all day.

If I had over 2g for a scope I would be all over that. If you can find me a better price like the $1500 range let me know!

It is actually $400 more than what I can get the razor for, $1800 is what I can find new for the Cronus.

It may be true that I can get a used Cronus for less than a new etr but I hate waiting and trying to find a used one, could be weeks or longer with my luck.

As far as the pst gen2, friend has one and wasnt impressed for the money, Id get another midas tac over a pst gen2 all day.

If I had over 2g for a scope I would be all over that. If you can find me a better price like the $1500 range let me know!

Have you considered a Tract Toric 30mm? That is what my son and I have on both our NRL rifles. It gives up a little travel to the Razor but that’s about it. I have enough elevation on mine to get me to about 350 yards. Anything beyond that I just use the reticle. It’s also about a pound lighter than the Razor which will make a big difference shooting offhand. It also sounds like you might be military or first responder so be sure to ask them about that. The took really good care of me.

I know this is thread revival but the used Razor 4.5-27 gen 2s are going in that range in the PX. Or a gen 1 5-20 for -$1000.