• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope for precision ar15

toxic

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2014
Mansfield, OH
so i am currently looking for a scope for my latest ar15 build, 18" noveske spr 1:7. ive got an ad-recon 30mm 20 moa mount on its way, as i was originally wanting the swfa 3-15x42, but after reading some more about it, im not sure, one thing i dont like about it is the fast focus eyepiece. and the giant turrets. i love my 5-20x50. i was also looking at the swfa 1-6 but im not sure if the 6x is enough magnification. this rifle will primarily be used for groundhogs inside about 400yds. i would like something relatively small and short with good magnification range, a low end magnification is very important. i want a mil based reticle, and mil turrets, 30mm tube as i have the mount already on its way. and would have to be under $1k.

NF 2.5-10x24. Favorite optic I have. You might be able to get one for 1K-1.2K depending on model.
thats a bit out of my price range, i would like to keep it under 800. that pst is really looking good, i only wish it had a locking eyepiece.

I put a Burris 4.5-14 on my precision AR15 and it has been working nicely. The only thing I don't like about it is the turret clicks are kinda mushy. But they seem repeatable and accurate.

Attachments

• 223_RMA_Varmint_Target.jpg
    223_RMA_Varmint_Target.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
thats a bit out of my price range, i would like to keep it under 800. that pst is really looking good, i only wish it had a locking eyepiece.

Black electrical tape will hold it in place and a scope cap will cover it so you won't see it. Boom.

Black electrical tape will hold it in place and a scope cap will cover it so you won't see it. Boom.

yep never thought of that, on my old viper hs i needed electrical tape for the cap to fit tighter, but never thought to use it to also hold the eyepiece in place.

Nightforce. Just buy a nice one and you can use it for all your rifles now. It would be a tad heavy for a hunting rig. By hunting rig I mean hiking around for an Elk or Sheep... had to say that before I get jumped on by everyone

Try one of the new Burris XTR II scopes.. They look pretty nice and I've read some good reviews on here.. Should be able to snag a 3.5-15x50 in your price range..

Try one of the new Burris XTR II scopes.. They look pretty nice and I've read some good reviews on here.. Should be able to snag a 3.5-15x50 in your price range..

the 3-15x50 does look very nice, but i already have a 30mm mount and those are a 34mm tube.

Toxic you are right, bad observation on my part..

if i hadnt already bought the mount i would really consider it. i think my front runner right now is the 2.5-10 viper pst, just wondering if the ffp is worth it in a lower mag optic like that.

I had that same thought. I also wondered about side focus on a low powered scope. The pst 2.5-10x44 may be another good option. It is sfp and is not side focus.

I have a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 headed my way, should be here next Thursday for my 18" Seekins build.. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks to Mike at CS Tactical, great guys to work with.. I am looking for a mount now. Does anyone know if an AD Recon 34mm will work for mounting a Burris XTR II 50mm on an AR flat top?

Not trying to hijack toxic... The PST line seems to be what your looking for toxic, I have a 1-4 on another AR of mine and really like it..

Not trying to hijack toxic... The PST line seems to be what your looking for toxic, I have a 1-4 on another AR of mine and really like it..
just ordered a pst 2.5-10x32 mrad scope, will have it tomorrow or friday with my prime membership.

I have a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 headed my way, should be here next Thursday for my 18" Seekins build.. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks to Mike at CS Tactical, great guys to work with.. I am looking for a mount now. Does anyone know if an AD Recon 34mm will work for mounting a Burris XTR II 50mm on an AR flat top?

I have a 34mm Bushnell Elite FFP G2DMR 3.5-21X50 on a AD Recon 34mm mount on my 308 flat top AR. Should work for the 34mm Burris.

here i what i went with. the 2.5-10x32 pst in mrads. so far i love it, imo compared to my swfa 5-20,the pst has brighter colors
.14965481859_ff4e247b30_k.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is pertinent to my interests...I have been spying a few options for an 18" JP-15. I would like to get my hands on one of the XTR II's to see if I would like it. I like the 2-10 mag range. The Bushnell 1-8.5's look awesome too, but holy shit are they expensive! Strongly considering a Bushnell 3-12 with the G2DMR reticle. Last one is the 3-9 SSHD. Decisions, decisions...

You can get a Leupold VXR Patrol for around 600.00 bucks in 3-9 with Illuminated Fire Dot as I have 1 on my LMT and it's not bad for the price! Knobs took a little time to figure out but it's a 30 MM tube and not a boat anchor! I think you could get out past 400 yds no problem and not brake the bank !

You can get a Leupold VXR Patrol for around 600.00 bucks in 3-9 with Illuminated Fire Dot as I have 1 on my LMT and it's not bad for the price! Knobs took a little time to figure out but it's a 30 MM tube and not a boat anchor! I think you could get out past 400 yds no problem and not brake the bank !

+1 on that. I forgot to mention that a friend has let me borrow his 1.25-4 VX-R and it is a nice scope. The fire dot is crisp, no bleeding along the side. I would also consider that 3-9, though I believe I like SWFA's mil quad reticle moreso.

Picking your scope based upon the size of the mount you already purchased??? Wow...

Picking your scope based upon the size of the mount you already purchased??? Wow...
originally i was dead set on the swfa 3-15x42, and so thats why i had the mount already, i then decided against it, and i didnt really want to sell the mount or return it, so i needed other choices for a 30mm scope.

Run a few of these thru that 1-7 twist and that oxymoron comment will not apply!

My LMT with a sweet Timney skeleton in it and it will put a smile on your face!