• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Scope for Remington 700 5R .308 Win

tomt53

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2011
Central Florida
My wife gave me this gun for my birthday in July. I took the Leupold 4.5-14 x 50 scope off my 30-06 and mounted it on the gun because it was the best I had. Now I'm ready to buy a scope for the 5R. The wife has given the go ahead for a Nightforce 5.5-22 x 56 scope. As everybody knows this is alot of scope and alot of money. I don't mind the price as it will probaly be the last expensive scope I would ever buy.

Is this to much scope for this gun?

Re: Scope for Remington 700 5R .308 Win

You can never go wrong buying good glass. That 5R is one of the most accurate rifles you can buy (out of the box) and adding a Nightforce to it will make for a very nice setup.

Your making a good decision going with NF. It's one of the most rugged scopes you can buy and will last a lifetime, plus the quality is second to none. Personally I would recommend against your exact choice though and here's why.

First a 56MM objective will require you to use higher rings and will sacrifice your cheek weld so I would recommend staying with the 50MM. NF 5.5-22, 8-32, and 12-42's all range on 22X which is way too much for your normal shooting conditions, you will run into issues with mirage and field of view. I know people say "you can dial down to 11X and double your values" well that only works so well, I've seen plenty of people lose scoring points at matches because either it wasn't perfectly accurate when ranging a UKD target or compensating for a miss or they forgot to double their values in the heat of the moment.

Either way 22X is way more scope than you will ever need for a 308. The 15X would be a much better choice in a SFP scope. With 15X you would rarely run into issues with mirage or FOV and it's plenty of magnification for much farther range than the 308 round is even good for. Think of it this way, if it's enough magnification to see a 1/4 or 1/2MOA target at 100 yards its enough magnification to see that size target at any distance. So in other words its more than sufficient magnification for holding the accuracy any known rifle is good for.

Now if you were talking about a FFP scope that you could use the reticle on any magnification there would be no probably getting a -20X, -22X, -25X or whatever because you could always dial it back and depend on accurate holds but you simply can't rely on that with a SFP.

Mr T,
Like Redneck refered to a FFP(First Focal Plane) scope may be something to look into also. Night Force has a great one in the F1. I would suggest MLR2 with reticle and mil adjustments. They also come with rings and zero stop with high speed knobs and Illuminated reticle.
good luck
R

I agree with Redneck in that I wouldn't recommend the 56mm objective. A 50mm objective with a little less power will better suit your needs.

+1 on all of the above. I have that rifle and have gone from 3-15X50 to 5-20X50 and now back (although in a lighter version of the Premier). While 5-20/25 is not too much magnification for certain applications, I found that I really didn't need it for a rifle chambering that is best suited to ranges 1000 yards and under.

Even with the new Berger 175gr. OTM, which is - with the great .259 G7 BC and hybrid design to stabilize it - a bullet I can take out to 1200 yards @ my altitude, I just found it better to have a scope that was in the 3-15 range. I'm not saying that is the best for everybody, just to consider the purpose, strengths and limitations of your equipment. If I had only one rifle, I'd probably stick with the NF 2.5-10X32 I have on a 20" bbl LTR.

For that kind of money I would definitely want a FFP scope. Being as you are looking at a NF I would recommend considering the NF F1 MLR2 as suggested above.

The 5R is awesome. My first bolt gun. I set mine up with a Premier Heritage 3-15x. I would agree with others here though, and would recommend a FFP scope.