• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Scope for rimfire

vaughngoalie35

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
I am planing on getting a scope for a bolt .22lr soon. I will be shooting about 30 to 100 yards. I am looking at a 200 dollar price range.
The two I've really been looking at are:

Redfield 3-9x40 non accurange
http://swfa.com/Redfield-3-9x40-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44468.aspx

Nikon Prostaff EFR rimfire 3-9x40
http://swfa.com/Nikon-3-9x40-ProStaff-Target-EFR-Rimfire-Scope-P51957.aspx

The Redfield has a 100 yard set parallax, and the Nikon has an AO.

I feel both will be good choices, but the main question is about parallax adjustment. If I am shooting mostly at 50-70ish yards, how will a 100 yard parallax free scope do?

I would rather get the Redfield if the parallax was VERY small. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
ATP

Re: Scope for rimfire

I have AO or side focus on all my scopes. I think you would especially want to have it on a rimfire. I'm not familiar with the two scopes above. But I am very fond of Leupold's 4-12x40mm AO VX-II

I'm using the Nikon Prostaff EFR for a Ruger 10/22 and I would recommend it. I haven't looked through the Redfield but the fact that it doesn't have an adjustable objective or parallax control I'd go with the Nikon. For the price the scope is actually pretty decent, but the reticle is just a plain crosshair without any mil dots or hash marks so holdovers are a little tough.

You are going to get many recommendations, and here's another: Mueller APV.
It is adjustable for parallax and the glass is very clear for the price. It's a tough one to beat for $130. You can check out many great reviews over on Rimfircentral if you don't believe me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are going to get many recommendations, and here's another: Mueller APV.
It is adjustable for parallax and the glass is very clear for the price. It's a tough one to beat for $130. You can check out many great reviews over on Rimfircentral if you don't believe me. </div></div>

+1 for the mueller. I've got their 8-32x44 on a rimfire rifle, it's very clear. (and the 32 power sure helps to see those small holes). Only issue I have is the eye relief is not forgiving

I have thought about the mueller, but I would get the apt (more tactical and mildot). The apt has a 30mm, and the apv had 1".... Will that make a huge impact? How is the warranty service for mueller? I just felt I could get more scope by moving up to the 200 price range, not sure though.

Jaydoski, doesn't the efr have the niko plex with the dot in the middle? I feel that would be a pretty nice feature...

Thanks for the input everyone, you all know way more than me haha

there are so many scopes available in that price range that will serve a rimfire well, many of which are repeatable and have various "options" and reticles.

i'd give some thought to the centerpoint 4-16 for a low 70.00 at walmart. has turrets, AO, mildots, adjustable ocular focus and other features. plus it's very clear edge to edge even on 16X and the adjustments are repeatable.

Thoughts on picking a scope for a rimfire.

once you see that today's rimfires and ammo can achieve some impressive results you may want to tyr reaching out further, looking into MOA sloped bases or rings / inserts

REASONS FOR USING A 1 PIECE BASE ON A RIMFIRE
1 & 2 piece, 0 and + MOA rimfire scope bases, etc.

There's a bunch of rimfire scope stuff here: 22 scope+ mounts+rings threads

but of the two you mentioned, i'm liking the Nikon's reticle and AO over the redfield. the redfield would be less $ with the rebate, but doesn't have the AO, which could mess up not only your focus but will also mess up your POA / POI going from say 30 to 100 yards due to the parallax. plus everything will look "funky" without that AO.

the nikon seems to have more user friendly turrets that the graduations can be seen easier from the shooting position
and looks to be of a higher profile. it may also be worth your while to see if the nikon buckmaster target turrets can be installed, and it also looks as if a sunshade can be added.

nikon http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/prostaff/Target_EFR_3-9x40_Precision_Reticle/6734

redfield http://redfield.com/riflescopes/

The APT wasn't available when I purchased my APV. But the APT is what I'd get if I did it again. As for the warrenty, I've heard nothing but good things. These scopes have been compared to ones at 2x the price.

Thanks everyone for the links! I will go with a AO now, and it is really between the apt and the Nikon prostaff efr. The main difference is the reticle, which is no problem, I like both. Which would you guys choose? I have hear great things about both, but can't decide which one is better.

No my EFR does not have any dots. It's just a basic crosshair no markings or hashmarks.

I've had both the APT and the APV and like them both. I don't usually dial dope for rimfires so external turrets on the APT weren't used much for me.

Hmm thats interesting jaydoski, maybe theyre the new ones only... Does yours have target turrets? Carlson, Does having the bigger tube help on the APT instead of the 1" on the APV?

I use a leupold vx III 6.5-20x50 EFR with target turrets, target dot reticle and 30 mm tube on my .22 lr and I really like it,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMT38S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a leupold vx III 6.5-20x50 EFR with target turrets, target dot reticle and 30 mm tube on my .22 lr and I really like it, </div></div>

This EFR sounds like the way to go. I'm in the same boat and I'm very interested in the 50 ft focus.