• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for Rock River 308

hdbob

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2010
Southern Arizona
Friend just got a RR 308, 20 inch barrel( I believe) What power scope do you think would work good for this rifle?? He is in love with leupold, but may go to others... He wants the target turrets.

thanks

Re: Scope for Rock River 308

What will he be using it for? LR target shooting, average range hunting, ??? For hunting whitetails in the Midwest, my brother has an Accupoint 1-4? that works well for those ranges (200 max maybe). I have a Nikon Monarch X 2.5-10 with 1/4 MOA turrets sitting in a Larue mount that's taking up space. This was on a M1A for a while and did great but I'm not well-versed in long-range engagements. For long-range stuff I usually default to the Mk19 on top of my truck:)

FYI, you should probably add something to your profile before you get piled on...

I have shot behind the Mark 4 some and it is a good scope. It should fit his needs with the target turrets. He should be able to get matching turrets and reticle also, which will be a big help with follow up shots and making corrections. The 4.5-14 would probably be ideal. Not too much magnification at the low end, but enough on the high end for longer shooting applications. If he is willing to look outside of Leupold, I would definitely consider some others brands to at least compare against the Leupold.

Hes considering the Zeiss Conquest 4.5 by 14 by 50 as well... Which would do better that or leupold??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot behind the Mark 4 some and it is a good scope. It should fit his needs with the target turrets. He should be able to get matching turrets and reticle also, which will be a big help with follow up shots and making corrections. The 4.5-14 would probably be ideal. Not too much magnification at the low end, but enough on the high end for longer shooting applications. If he is willing to look outside of Leupold, I would definitely consider some others brands to at least compare against the Leupold. </div></div>

If your looking to pay the price of a Leupold, that opens up a very large market of scopes.

I personally would encourage him to look at the Zeiss. THeir turrets are MOA however. I would also look at the new Vortex coming out in a few months. If your friend is like me he may not want to wait though.

THe Nikon Monarch X is also a nice scope in that range. Also visit Euro Optics website. They are selling NF NXS scopes for $12-1300.00, which would also be a better option than the Leupy, IMHO.