• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope for the New Ruger 17HMR

TRH1962

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Just purchased the Ruger American 17HMR and would like to know what scope to put on it. I'm planning to shoot targets out to 100 yards at least and some varmints. I'm 52 yrs old and finding it difficult to narrow one down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tony

I've been using a BSA 4-14x44mm which has been very nice, you can find it via midwayusa.com or there is a lot of talk about the vortex 6.5-20x44(I believe) being a very good choice for rimfires.

I'd recommend a higher magnification.
Those 17 caliber holes are awful tiny.
Just about invisible at 100 yards.
Look at a Mueller side focus/parallax 8-32x44.
Target reticle is ideal for range use as the 17 hmr
trajectory is just about flat from 50 to 100 yards.
Also works well as a field scope for small game.
Can be focused down to 10 yards.
Price is very good for the quality of the product.

the 8-32x on my 455 Lilja 17 hmr Varmint

455VL-LEFT.JPG

Last edited:
what kinda budget do u have for one?

i like my vortex crossfireII several to choose from and you can workup from there. as always you get what u pay for.

Another vote for Vortex. The Crossfire II is their bottom line, but I have 4 of them and think the eye relief if great! Add to that their great glass, and you have one heck of a scope for an awesome price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look for a scope with very thin cross hairs. Some of the cheap ones mentioned above have heavy tactical style reticles. Look at a Nikon Prostaff Target EFR (BRA401050). The center dot diameter is .75 on 9X at 100 yards. Fine line width is .25 at same. Priced under $200. GH

Definitely need a budget on this one. I'll put it this way, I'm debating between $700-$1000 scopes for my new 17HMR. We can go all over the place on this one.

I'm debating between $700-$1000 scopes for my new 17HMR

Which raises the question:

Should the cost of the scope, exceed the cost of the rifle?

For hunting small game, no. Not necessary.
I own an inexpensive CenterPoint 4-16x40 mil-dot ($70}
that has done everything that I've required of it.
Even use it on an RWS 54 "Scope-Eater" with no problems.
But for range use the heavy crosshairs don't allow for
precision shooting. Those same heavy crosshairs
are great in brush or low light as they show up, where
the target reticle gets lost. The crosshair illumination feature
allows the Centerpoint to be used as a red dot for early morning
short range squirrel hunting. My Mueller 8-32x44 ($260)
with target dot and fine crosshairs is ideal for 25 to 200 yard
range/paper punching and open field varmint control.
My Weaver T-24 ($400) is my 50 yard bench scope.
Crosshairs are so fine, as to be useless for hunting,
but make splitting the 0.10 inch center dot on a USBR target
a simple matter. Choose your scope to fit your budget
and usage, or get a couple of scopes and swap 'em as needed.

Works for me.
grinyes.gif

Last edited:
Greetings!

I would recommend the Leupold 3-9X EFR Compact RF scope. The objective focuses from infinity down to 10 yards, the objective bell is 33MM on a 1 inch tube with a smaller eyepiece bell diameter so you can mount it lower without bolt handle or barrel clearance issues, and you can get it with or without a BDC. It will cost more than the rifle, but it is worth every penney.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

Regards,
Jeff

I'd like to think price is a guarantee of quality...maybe I've just been lucky with less expensive stuff (I know we're not talking things like Nightforce here).
I put a $500 (with rings) Hawke 6.5-20x Sidewinder Tactical Hawke Optics | Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tactical SF 6.5-20x42 20X Mil Dot on my Savage .22WMR and I love it. Three years now of nearly weekly shooting and never a problem...the turret adjustments are positive and repeatable, the clarity is very good and the etched reticle is very good.
On the other hand for the last two years my sons have had these Leapers 4x16x ($140 w/rings) Leapers, Inc. - Hunting/Shooting, Sporting Goods and Security Gear on their Marlin XT-22's and in all honesty they have performed just as well as the Hawke.
The Hawke looks a little better finished...but they both work very well.

I tend to respond to these kinds of questions with Amazon.com: Tasco Target/Varmint 6-24x42mm Rifle Scope Mil Dot Reticle: Sports & Outdoors. This scope is affordable, and capable well beyond what its cost may suggest. In addition to my rimfires, I also have a few that have supported my 1000yd F Class .260, and have survived my Winchester M70 lightweight .30-'06.

I don't like to tie up a high dollar scope on a rifle that is totally dependent on the supply of ammunition which is currently commercially available only on a spotty basis. This this scope, I don't have to be concerned with that issue.

Greg

Last edited:
I would say Simmons with .17 turret. I can shoot from
50 out to 250 with ease!!
N pretty good glass for that price..