• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope guidance request

USMC#1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2013
Okay gents,

Take it easy on this one...

Just ordered a RPR in 6mm Creed..

I am thinking of getting a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 FFP MRAD 5x25x50. What else is out there that would be on par with this scope. If I fall for this shooting sport, my daughter can get this rifle and order myself a custom rig with German optics.

Reactions: Engineer260
I did not have a great experience with my Burris XTR II 4-20, ran it for just over a year but it consistently caused eye fatigue with its strange optical aberrations, sounds like the 3-15 and 5-25 do not suffer the same fate.

I purchased a PST II 5-25x50 for a review mostly to see if they "fixed" the issues from the original PST and was so pleased with it that it now sits on my 17 HMR training rifle. In my opinion, the PST II offers the best bang for the buck in this category, just make sure you purchase it from one of the great Hide dealers and ask for a Snipers Hide discount to boot.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I know Bill didn't have a good experience with his, but the XTRII is an extremely popular PRS scope. Always a strong contender at it's price point.

It's been on the market for 4 years now and I think the wrinkles and bugs are worked out. It has a solid reputation for bullet proof tracking and durability. It's very rare for an XTR II to go down.

Same warranty as Vortex.

And Burris has a $200 rebate running right now (till March 31st) that is taken right at the register at time of purchase. Pretty hard to beat that value..

I know Bill didn't have a good experience with his, but the XTRII is an extremely popular PRS scope. Always a strong contender at it's price point.

It's been on the market for 4 years now and I think the wrinkles and bugs are worked out. It has a solid reputation for bullet proof tracking and durability. It's very rare for an XTR II to go down.

Same warranty as Vortex.

And Burris has a $200 rebate running right now (till March 31st) that is taken right at the register at time of purchase. Pretty hard to beat that value..

You make me want to consider trying another 4-20 to see if there was an issue with early models that have now been resolved, I wasn't the only one to report on the strange optical aberration so assumed it was a manufacturing issue and not a QA issue. Outside of the optical issue, I loved the scope, built well, great turrets and great reticle (SCR), yes it suffered from a bit of CA but not out of the norm for its price range and better than the T5Xi in my experience.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Okay gents,

Take it easy on this one...

Just ordered a RPR in 6mm Creed..

I am thinking of getting a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 FFP MRAD 5x25x50. What else is out there that would be on par with this scope. If I fall for this shooting sport, my daughter can get this rifle and order myself a custom rig with German optics.

Bushnell LRTSi.

Reactions: Nathan11B
You make me want to consider trying another 4-20 to see if there was an issue with early models that have now been resolved, I wasn't the only one to report on the strange optical aberration so assumed it was a manufacturing issue and not a QA issue. Outside of the optical issue, I loved the scope, built well, great turrets and great reticle (SCR), yes it suffered from a bit of CA but not out of the norm for its price range and better than the T5Xi in my experience.

My 3-15 and 4-20 had it too. Both were very early models. 8 mil turrets even. I have been wanting to get my eyeballs on a new production model too.

My 3-15 and 4-20 had it too. Both were very early models. 8 mil turrets even. I have been wanting to get my eyeballs on a new production model too.
This is part of my frustration with some manufacturers who come out with a model, identify an issue (or have an issue identified for them) and then fix the issue without making any kind of model change. Going with completely different turrets (from 8 mil to 10 mil) should most definitely identify a Gen II, and then if they change glass that should be a Gen III and so forth, that way the consumer knows exactly what they are getting. Changing within the same model only serves to confuse and bring caution to interested parties.

This has definitely been the Achilles Heel of an otherwise solid optic. The first ones definitely saw more of these issues than later releases.

When Burris acquired Steiner and went to the 10 mil turrets and SCR reticle, there definitely was an improvement in the optical quality. I've never heard anyone say it, but it seems like there have been steady improvements over time. You rarely hear about any glass issues anymore like what used to crop up early in the line up. My three 4-20 H591's that I use on my competition rifles are all very clear and crisp optically (all less than a 2 years old). These are the three scopes that always get compared to other brands when I'm out at matches, and people are pretty impressed by them.

The glass in everything I have seen lately is good glass. It compares well to other brands in it's price point and is what you should expect in a quality sub $1500 optic.

This has definitely been the Achilles Heel of an otherwise solid optic. The first ones definitely saw more of these issues than later releases.

When Burris acquired Steiner and went to the 10 mil turrets and SCR reticle, there definitely was an improvement in the optical quality. I've never heard anyone say it, but it seems like there have been steady improvements over time. You rarely hear about any glass issues anymore like what used to crop up early in the line up. My three 4-20 H591's that I use on my competition rifles are all very clear and crisp optically (all less than a 2 years old). These are the three scopes that always get compared to other brands when I'm out at matches, and people are pretty impressed by them.

The glass in everything I have seen lately is good glass. It compares well to other brands in it's price point and is what you should expect in a quality sub $1500 optic.
Dang, you almost have me convinced :). Though my model was a 10 mil unit with SCR reticle but was older than two years

Dang, you almost have me convinced :). Though my model was a 10 mil unit with SCR reticle but was older than two years

Well I'm certainly not trying to spend your money Bill.

Sit tight a little longer and wait to see what we have up our sleeve. ;)

I have had very good luck with my Burris, 5x25x50. At 1,000 yards and out. Very good bang for the buck.