• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Scope has more elevation than it should?

mwiggi

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
South Georgia
I’ve got a CZ 457 with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 with Burris XTR signature rings and 25 MOA base.

I’ve got my scope nearly at the bottom of the elevation turret so I can shoot as far as possible. Supposedly my scope has 85 MOA total elevation. Checked everything today and somehow I have 92 MOA of dial able elevation with 2 MOA left to dial downwards.

Is this because the scope is cheap? Or what else is the reason why? I honestly believed the scope tracked properly but I’m starting to question that also. Makes me want to upgrade my scope even that much more.

Attachments

• C44E038A-A6ED-42CC-8821-1D5821ED579E.jpeg
    C44E038A-A6ED-42CC-8821-1D5821ED579E.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 56
I have had scopes that has more adjustment than advertised. If scope works for you and tracking well, I would not worry.

Reactions: Makinchips208
The only way to know exactly how much the reticle will move versus the dial is to check the movement while looking through the scope on a target. Do this. Set rifle on bench solid so it can't move. Place target 50 yds and line up reticle with aim point, have turret dial set for your 50 yd zero. Now with just your hand on the turret dial, turn dial up watching the reticle. When the reticle stops moving in relation to the dial, that is all the movement you will have. Some dials will continue to move, but the reticle doesn't. Check this a few times to be sure of the movement.

Elevation movement will/can vary due to the windage not being centered internally. The closer to centered the erector is internally, the more elevation you will have.

Hope this helps.

The only way to know exactly how much the reticle will move versus the dial is to check the movement while looking through the scope on a target. Do this. Set rifle on bench solid so it can't move. Place target 50 yds and line up reticle with aim point, have turret dial set for your 50 yd zero. Now with just your hand on the turret dial, turn dial up watching the reticle. When the reticle stops moving in relation to the dial, that is all the movement you will have. Some dials will continue to move, but the reticle doesn't. Check this a few times to be sure of the movement.

Elevation movement will/can vary due to the windage not being centered internally. The closer to centered the erector is internally, the more elevation you will have.

Hope this helps.
Definitely will do that this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion!

Did you try the test? What did you determine if you did?
Sorry for just getting back, my notifications must be turned off.

I did exactly what you said. The reticle stopped moving when I got to 83, which makes sense with the 2 MOA I had downwards.

Ended up swapping scopes to a gen 2 viper pst 5-25. Only had enough room to get 55 MOA of elevation. I will probably get another base so I can have more elevation.

Haven’t tried shooting the 22lr at 500 yards again, but I’m happy with the Viper, asides from not having it entirely zeroed. One click (.25 MOA) to the left or right is too much, by just a few mm. I see why people prefer MRAD scopes. If I can’t get it zeroed perfectly after changing bases, I’ll put the Diamondback back on it.

I’ve been shooting ARA unlimited and my scores dropped significantly after swapping scopes. Still came in second place though. The one guy who beat me borrowed my rifle and Tenex. So he was just having a better day. I felt more confident the last match, asides from the wind, so that could have been a little with the left to right issue. Or could be because I swapped from SK Rifle Match to Tenex, without practicing with that ammo.

"One click (.25 MOA) to the left or right is too much, by just a few mm."

That is what the offset function is for in your ballistic calculator. May as well take advantage of the position for spin drift.

"One click (.25 MOA) to the left or right is too much, by just a few mm."

That is what the offset function is for in your ballistic calculator. May as well take advantage of the position for spin drift.
That offset function is a godsend. I’ve used it with my 308 and will use it with the 22lr if need be. I’m not familiar with spin drift to be honest though. Maybe I am and just don’t realize it.

What I meant by the scope being a tiny bit off center is that at 50 yards I am having to aim a little to the left or right to account for the scope not being perfectly zeroed. The ARA unlimited target is the roughly the size of a quarter, with the bullseye being a few mm. The wind was constantly changing directions, so that may have played a tiny roll.

A shooting instructor also told me that I was jerking the trigger and not following through after the shot. Instead I was more focused on working the bolt quickly and going to the next target. It’s a Timney set under a pound, but I guess the jerking is a bad habit I’ve built from shooting centerfire improperly.

I’m sure the left to right issue is likely something I’m doing, especially since the other guy who borrowed my gear came in first.

I feel like my rifle is probably more set up for NRL 22 than any kind of bench shooting. I’ve never competed up until a couple of weeks ago and just was invited to try ARA. I definitely enjoy shooting at different distances a lot more.

Ah ARA is a different ballgame for sure, an 1/8th or 1/16th MOA scope or a model that allows detentless zeroing is what you need for that.

I just assumed you were doing NRL or PRS type shooting.

I feel like I’ll just practice more shooting those ARA style of targets and work on my trigger pull to see if I’m the reason the shots are a little bit off. Maybe I can aim a little to the right or left from the bullseye and get impacts where I want them. There’s a lot of the fundamentals that I feel like I need to work on and that was the main reason I got into rimfire.

Well thats better than having your Mils get lost in your Leupold.

How are they lost? They're still there, just limited by the turret design. Mine has 38, but I only have 28 after zeroing on a 20moa rail. So I lost 8 that I couldn't use in the turret design, but I still lost another 2 just because of where the zero ended up.

It's pretty common. The cheap vortex tactical has an artificial limit if you use the zero stop.