• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope height above bore?

tomcat68

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
Paris, TN
How critical is the scope height above the bore? I have always heard the closer the better. Let's hear some opinions or theories. Thanks for any replies.

Re: Scope height above bore?

It really depends on the rifle / Setup. For the most part it is not a big deal, but you're best off getting the scope as low as possible and still being comfortable for you.

Mike @ CST

You want the scope to line up with your eye when you have a good cheek weld on the rifle.

Run it on a ballistic calculator and see. Not much difference between say 1.8" and 3" scope heights as far as elevation being dialed from a zero using the correct scope height in the program. 175 SMK at 2600fps with 1.8" from 100 yard zero is 11.4 mils or 39 MOA. Same set up with a 3" scope height is 11.1 mils or 38 MOA.

But if you are running the program to get data and are measuring the scope height I would want it to be very close to actual height. Especially if you are shooting inside 100 yards where it becomes more critical.

A couple pics I put up every time this comes up showing how to measure scope height above bore easily.
P6120518.jpg

P6120517.jpg