• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope height question for 20 moa rail

Chasingpro

Captain
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2020
Texas
I recently bought a Uintah precision upper receiver for my ar10 and it has a 20 moa rail section. I am mounting my Vortex PST gen 2 5-25x50 scope on it. I need to know what my minimum scope height is for clearance from the handguard. I would like the slightest gap between the handguard and objective lense just for possible flex if posted. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Depends on the handguard. I run an AR-10 with a Razor HD in an ADM 20MOA mount and with the Troy handguard there's enough space to feel comfortable. I also have a PST G2 on an AR-15 in .224 Valkyrie and in the same model mount (albeit for a 30mm tube instead of a 35mm tube) there's even more - but that's because I have an Aero handguard that narrows after the barrel nut. But to answer your question more directly, if you're using the stock handguard, standard Vortex High rings (or any other ring that offers ~1.26" center scope height) will do. Why are you trying to get your scope so low?

IMG_20211230_205736504_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211230_205711971_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Do the math on your scope & various scope mounts.

And you can calculate the effect of the 20 MOA rail with the length of it being known.

MM

Depends on the handguard. I run an AR-10 with a Razor HD in an ADM 20MOA mount and with the Troy handguard there's enough space to feel comfortable. I also have a PST G2 on an AR-15 in .224 Valkyrie and in the same model mount (albeit for a 30mm tube instead of a 35mm tube) there's even more - but that's because I have an Aero handguard that narrows after the barrel nut. But to answer your question more directly, if you're using the stock handguard, standard Vortex High rings (or any other ring that offers ~1.26" center scope height) will do. Why are you trying to get your scope so low?

View attachment 7772953View attachment 7772954
Not necessarily looking for as low as possible. Just not wanting my scope to touch. Was looking for the least clearance I could get away with, essentially just to know a baseline for mount options.

View attachment 7772953View attachment 7772954
What height are your mounts?

Generally, you find you are best served with a 1.5" mount, which is somewhat standard for AR platforms. The 1.5" general rule of thumb is that it will clear a 56mm bell housing with 0 MOA cant. Since you are at 50mm, and have some modest cant at 20 MOA, you could get by with less than 1.5", but you will find a hugh selection at 1.5", 1.48", 1.44" etc, which will work fine.

Reactions: Steel head
Generally, you find you are best served with a 1.5" mount, which is somewhat standard for AR platforms. The 1.5" general rule of thumb is that it will clear a 56mm bell housing with 0 MOA cant. Since you are at 50mm, and have some modest cant at 20 MOA, you could get by with less than 1.5", but you will find a hugh selection at 1.5", 1.48", 1.44" etc, which will work fine.
👆
This
Standard AR rings/mounts vary from 1.3-1.5ish range depending on scope diameter and needs.
The common ADM mount heights work great for a variety of applications

Thanks man! I am looking at the adm mounts now. Maybe the ad-delta-c is what I’ll get.