• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Help

smokey24_24

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2020
As the title says, I am looking for recommendations and reviews of a few scopes for a Bergara Ridge 300 PRC for a strictly hunting (Elk, Moose).

• What is the platform for the scope? Bolt action Bergara Ridge
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 300 PRC
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Backcountry Hunting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Lowlight, Daylight
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? Up to 500-600 yards MAX, might occasionally use for long range target
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Glass clarity/quality is number 1...eyes aren't great.
  • What is the price range you can afford? Preferably around 1k but can go up to around $1500

I'm trying to get a good comparison between the following scopes. Hoping to get opinions of those that have used them to get as much info in order to make the best decision for me. Optics always become information overload for me...just so many options to choose from.

NightForce SHV 5-20x56mm​

Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 HSR-5i MOA​

Vortex Optics Razor HD Gen II 3-18x50​

Burris 3.3-18x50mm xtr3​

Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 4.5-18x44mm​

These 5 vary a little bit in price range, I'm ok going up to the higher end of this range IF it's that much better clarity/quality of glass. Thanks ahead of time for any and all help.

As the title says, I am looking for recommendations and reviews of a few scopes for a Bergara Ridge 300 PRC for a strictly hunting (Elk, Moose).

• What is the platform for the scope? Bolt action Bergara Ridge
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 300 PRC
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Backcountry Hunting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Lowlight, Daylight
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? Up to 500-600 yards MAX, might occasionally use for long range target
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Glass clarity/quality is number 1...eyes aren't great.
  • What is the price range you can afford? Preferably around 1k but can go up to around $1500

I'm trying to get a good comparison between the following scopes. Hoping to get opinions of those that have used them to get as much info in order to make the best decision for me. Optics always become information overload for me...just so many options to choose from.

NightForce SHV 5-20x56mm​

Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 HSR-5i MOA​

Vortex Optics Razor HD Gen II 3-18x50​

Burris 3.3-18x50mm xtr3​

Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 4.5-18x44mm​

These 5 vary a little bit in price range, I'm ok going up to the higher end of this range IF it's that much better clarity/quality of glass. Thanks ahead of time for any and all help.

Are you looking for FFP or SFP? IF SFP, Razor HD-LHT is probably the best you are going to get for the money.
If FFP, Doug's deal on an LRTS is hard to beat.

ILya

Reactions: 260284
I just received a Bushnell DMR 2 and really like the G3 reticle with my 6.5 Creedmoor. The LRTS with the same reticle should suit your 300 PRC quite well.

Lots of people overlook the quality of the XTR3 in these comparisons. Except the people who own one. Anyone paying attention to the feedback on the Burris will see that people are really liking the scope. Eyebox and FOV are amazing in this optic. The glass quality is as good as anything on your list in its price point. If you're going to bump up to $1500 that optic will treat you great.

If you decide to save a few shekels, the deal on the Bushy from Doug makes that a no brainer.

Reactions: drewthebrave
Lots of people overlook the quality of the XTR3 in these comparisons. Except the people who own one. Anyone paying attention to the feedback on the Burris will see that people are really liking the scope. Eyebox and FOV are amazing in this optic. The glass quality is as good as anything on your list in its price point. If you're going to bump up to $1500 that optic will treat you great.

If you decide to save a few shekels, the deal on the Bushy from Doug makes that a no brainer.

He plans to use it for hunting and until XTR3 comes out with an illuminated reticle, it is not optimal for that. Excellent scope otherwise.

ILya

My top two choices would be LRHS/LRTS and Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50 with SCR

Burris XTR III is going to have slightly better glass vs. LRHS/LRTS scopes and have considerably better FOV; however, if illumination is a requirement for you (OP) then that cuts out the Burris as it is only available non-illuminated at this time. While I like the concept of the SCR2 reticle and have that in my 5.5-30 XTR III scope, the SCR2 reticle in the 3.3-18 is too fine for a crossover scope so would opt for the slightly thicker SCR reticle which is a nice design.

The Vortex Razor Gen II 3-18 is a great scope by all accounts except for the fact it is a 3 pound cinder block and not a scope I'd recommend for backcountry excursions.

The Vortex LHT is a force to be reckoned with if you don't mind SFP, I am not an SFP fan for hunting so it's hard to recommend this scope.

Since you list glass clarity as your #1 I'd put the SHV off the table, the ATACR series is where you need to be with NF for glass clarity.

These are my opinions of course and take them with a grain of salt (or a grain of powder ;))

Just now getting time to get back on and check these messages. It sounds like the Bushnell is the best bang for the buck relative to all the prices. I appreciate all the feedback.

Just now getting time to get back on and check these messages. It sounds like the Bushnell is the best bang for the buck relative to all the prices. I appreciate all the feedback.
For the CameraLandny special they can't be beat; however, that is not illuminated. GAP is soon going to have the LRHS2 which is going to get Bushnell's "Prime ED" glass treatment, but this too is not-illuminated. Just something to keep in mind.

Given the price range and the use case calling for an illuminated reticle, I am surprised that Ilya didn't recommend the $1500 Element Nexus. Same weight as the non-illuminated Bushnell at 28 oz. and from Ilyas reviews, best in class combination of glass quality, reticle design, and turret quality. At the $1000 mark and weighing in at 30.5 oz. (from the spec sheet, although the web page says 33 oz.) Ilya usually recommends the Brownell's MPO 3-18x50, but if you don't care about a tree reticle and not quite as good turrets, the sister design discontinued Crimson Trace 5 series 3-18x50 is on clearance at Midway for $700 (both scopes made by JOL I believe). One downside to the Crimson Trace is that it doesn't look like they have anything comparable in their new line up, so warranty replacement might be an issue. @koshkin please correct me if I am wrong on any of the above since this is information I got from you.

Given the price range and the use case calling for an illuminated reticle, I am surprised that Ilya didn't recommend the $1500 Element Nexus. Same weight as the non-illuminated Bushnell at 28 oz. and from Ilyas reviews, best in class combination of glass quality, reticle design, and turret quality. At the $1000 mark and weighing in at 30.5 oz. (from the spec sheet, although the web page says 33 oz.) Ilya usually recommends the Brownell's MPO 3-18x50, but if you don't care about a tree reticle and not quite as good turrets, the sister design discontinued Crimson Trace 5 series 3-18x50 is on clearance at Midway for $700 (both scopes made by JOL I believe). One downside to the Crimson Trace is that it doesn't look like they have anything comparable in their new line up, so warranty replacement might be an issue. @koshkin please correct me if I am wrong on any of the above since this is information I got from you.

You are pretty much correct. I was simply trying to figure out whether he wants FFP or SFP and picking from the options he listed.

ILya

I have been hunting with FFP scopes for years and have never touched, worried about, or needed illumination.

Reactions: Secant
My recommendation is something light, rugged, SFP and lower magnification. A 1-4 power would be plenty for shooting a moose sized target at 600. I wouldn't want my lower power range to be above 3x. IF you really feel the need to have more magnification, a 3-15 or 3-18 would work great. More animals have been missed because the rifle had too much glass than not enough. I have no data to bear this out. But have hunted big game enough to believe it's true. I also think glass clarity is extremely over rated, assuming you buy any decent quality of scope at all. If you miss a moose during legal shooting hours, it's probably not the glass clarity that is at fault. It's hard to find a quality scope (even a mid-level and most lower level) where the glass clarity is poor enough to make a miss, unless you're shooting black golf balls in the shadows at last light (JMHO). Good luck.

Last edited:
5-600yds max for a hunting rifle which could potentially be humped into the back country and around the mountains? Leupold VX5HD and don’t look back. My 3 have all been fantastic on my lightweight WSM builds.

991C016D-A17B-401B-98A0-9C469DE77625.jpeg

Reactions: smokey24_24
Thanks for all the replies and help, truly appreciated. I ordered the Bushnell Elite yesterday. Doug's deal was just too good to pass up. Now to find a set of scope rings that'll work with 300 PRC.

I have been hunting with FFP scopes for years and have never touched, worried about, or needed illumination.

^^ This...

Thanks for all the replies and help, truly appreciated. I ordered the Bushnell Elite yesterday. Doug's deal was just too good to pass up. Now to find a set of scope rings that'll work with 300 PRC.

Thats a very good buy on that optic. Should treat you well.

Reactions: smokey24_24