• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

scope help

Lowholer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2017
I am in the process of putting together a long range bench rifle in 338 lapua mag.My local rifle range has steel silhouettes at 400 to 1000 yrds set out at 100yrd intervals' live in a high desert country were heat (Mirage) is really bad .I own a few 1200.00 dollar luepolds and when viewing anything at long distance if I go beyond 12to15 x mirage really shows up making your target hard to concentrate center mass .I would like to get a scope with the clearest glass as possible. I know that better glass is not going to remove the mirage but a cleaner view at longer range is possible. I am willing to spend up to 2000.00 for optic but if any of you have any suggestion's for cheaper price wise or something you have that works good for you I am all ears .Look forward to seeing what you all have in mind.
Low light gather ability is not a must have as I shoot in daylight hours .Thanks for any advice and if you should see something here at the hide that might work for me pm me a link to it and Ill have a look.
Rick

Athlon Cronus BTR Gen II
Vortex Razor Gen II
Burris XTRIII
Bushnell XRS II

Just a few that ring a bell

Search the forum. Lots of threads asking similar question

Reactions: Steel head
I’m in Florida and my Athlon Cronus is sweet. If you need more scope than the Cronus you’re gonna need something in the $3500-$4500 price range.

Razor Gen II is hard to beat, for the money you can buy them for now, its hard to beat and not made in China. If you care about that kind of thing.

Leupold Mk5 HD is a good option. Most folks on here aren’t fans but it has great glass, 35 mm tube, large eye box, and lifetime warranty and great service made in USA. Also it fits your price point. Nothing will get rid of mirage but variable power adjustment can back off to some better resolution. My experience.

I’d probably recommend a used K624i or a Mk5hd. No shooting experience with the others that have been mentioned though they are very popular choices.

Used Minox pop up close to that price range. That would get my vote purely for glass/mirage purposes. Downside putting it on a 338 if it caused any internal damage I believe it has to go over pond for repair.

I’m in the process of upgrading to S&B. I feel for the price, it’s a value that’s going to be really really hard to beat. Especially in the used market. the mentioned k624i would be a stellar choice too. Just my .02

Last edited: