• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope: Hunting 200 Yards and in.

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Decided not to carry the behmoth into the woods as
(1) Its kinda woody in there so I won't be taking long shots
(2) its phat

Pulling out an old Marlin 30-30. Hunting in Thick Woodlands with some open area but mostly, DENSE AF woods. So 50-100 yards shots (along a creek), maybe 200. Visibility is usually 50 yards or less.

Open sights are cool: when you are young: I'm not. Looking for a good scope under $1k doesn't have to be a 1-X but maybe like a 3-8 or similar. Maybe 2-8 or 2-10. I really have no clue in this range as I'm used to Long Distance optics.

Maybe a used leupold from the classifieds, they made a nice 2x10, trijicon might be in the same price range too

Decided not to carry the behmoth into the woods as
(1) Its kinda woody in there so I won't be taking long shots
(2) its phat

Pulling out an old Marlin 30-30. Hunting in Thick Woodlands with some open area but mostly, DENSE AF woods. So 50-100 yards shots (along a creek), maybe 200. Visibility is usually 50 yards or less.

Open sights are cool: when you are young: I'm not. Looking for a good scope under $1k doesn't have to be a 1-X but maybe like a 3-8 or similar. Maybe 2-8 or 2-10. I really have no clue in this range as I'm used to Long Distance optics.
Got you covered... I was so impressed with the one I bought, I bought a 2nd one... Plus, right now they're running a 12% off site-wide sale using the code: SAVE12

One thing I really like about this one, is the reticle is a true MIL reticle that use MIL marks, and not a BDC that is limited by a specific caliber and bullet. That way you can use this on whatever rifle you want.

I run one on my Ruger American Ranch 16" .300 BLK...

IMG_6587.jpeg

And, for a while I was using it on my 16" MPR .308 Win until my new Kahles K624i came in. It was really cool on that rifle, and would have been a really awesome hunting rig.

IMG_7085.jpeg

Reactions: Ronws
I used a 2-7X for many years, and sometimes a 3- 9X. Heavy duplex to help with quick acquisition of target in the brush, with fine crosshairs in the center. Always set on the lowest power, as you can always turn up the power on the long shots, or checking out antlers. A battery lighted dot in the center may be helpful in dark brushy forest, on winter days, I never liked 1X, I had a Leupold 1-4X it wasn't as good as 2-7X for hunting... IMO.

Reactions: doubloon and Modoc
I have a Leupold 2-7x33 on my Henry 45-70. It's decent, but I had a hard time seeing brow tines on a deer at 80 yards. Was almost as if the ocular was not focused for my eyes. Maybe it was the light, and back terrain, but not very happy with it. looking for something with a top end of 12 or 15 now. Or maybe I'll just get some binos for my bag. Because the 2-7x33 looks good on it. Not sure I would want a larger objective scope. Maybe a 40 would still be okay, but the 33 is about as wide as the rifle it self.

I think 40mm and large objectives look funny on lever guns. IMO
33ish being the largest to looks good.
I would recommend a Leupold FX2. 2.5x20
No turrets or power selection. Just a 6.5oz nice hunting scope.

I have a Leupold 2-7x33 on my Henry 45-70. It's decent, but I had a hard time seeing brow tines on a deer at 80 yards. Was almost as if the ocular was not focused for my eyes. Maybe it was the light, and back terrain, but not very happy with it. looking for something with a top end of 12 or 15 now. Or maybe I'll just get some binos for my bag. Because the 2-7x33 looks good on it. Not sure I would want a larger objective scope. Maybe a 40 would still be okay, but the 33 is about as wide as the rifle it self.
Yes to see if its a legal buck when checking tines, a pair of binoculars would be best.
I used a 338 Win mag 250 gr to 275 gr bullets and 2-7 X Leupold in the brush for elk and deer...but still able to shoot the heads off grouse in my younger years, it was grouse gun too back in the day, got alot more with that rifle than a shotgun...as eyesight gets worse more light is beneficial, and most glass is made in China...same exact scope is of varying glass quality, more expensive ones should be clearer but not needed, you're shooting a basketball sized target at 35 to 70 yds.

A lever gun is a light and trim rifle. It really needs a light and compact scope to complement it.

My 30-30 has a Redfield (Leupold) 2-7 on it. It's a good match for the rifle size and capabilities.

If I were buying today I'd look at the Burris 2-7 or if spending more maybe a 3-9 AccuPoint or Leupold Firedot.

I just picked up a Leupy 2-10 vx5 with the firedot for a BLK bolt gun. It replaced a Zeiss Conquest 1-4. For a point and shoot woods scope it’s pretty solid. Nice image, easy eye box, lightweight, yada yada. Can also dial for subs but I haven’t verified the repeatability yet. Just wish they would have offered it in mils instead of MOA.

I started using a Henry X-Model 30-30 a few years ago with a Leica Amplus 6 3-18 on it. My woods are pretty thick and it gets dark early so low light performance is my main concern. I swapped the Leica for a Swaro Z6 2.5-15x56. The deer don't care what it looks like, and neither do I.

Last edited:
Reactions: notacos4u
I started using a Henry X-Model 30-30 a few years ago with a Leica Amplus 6 3-18 on it. My woods are pretty thick and it gets dark early so low light performance is my main concern. I swapped the Leica for a Swaro Z6 2.5-15x56. The deer don't care what it looks like, and neither do I.
Mind posting a pic of the rifle?

These people are smoking craxk
For a 3030 with 200 yard expected shots
Get a 1-4 or 1-6 or 1-8

Used nightforces Trijicons are around for less than $1000

Leupold
Is an option. I’d avoid
Absolutely this.

One of the Meoptas or a Trijicon Accupoint should be in your range….and I recommend a 40-44mm objective…..to allow for more light transmission. Up until a few years ago I ran a 2-7x33 and found it wanting at legal first light and last light in the woods. Definitely something on the low end base mag wise though….2xish for the close up shots.

I've also enjoyed red dots on lever guns. A small MRDS adds no weight is is much easier to use than irons in all conditions.

Magnification is still nice in thick woods though. There are those "thread the needle" shots at <100 yards where it's helpful to see in detail which part of the deer is visible through that small opening in the brush.

I think there is a reason why 3-9 became the default option. It generally provides enough FOV on the low end and more than enough mag on the high end for most common hunting situations.

Last edited:
My friend has a Marlin lever in 35 rem. Put a leupold vx- freedom 1.5-4x on it. Decent glass, heavy reticle, easy to see. Glass is good enough for hunting. Lightweight. Has killed a ton of deer with it . $275

If you need better Swarovski z3 3-9.
Swaro z3 was going to be my recommendation as well, you don’t need illumination because it’s that good in low light to me.
Classes up any little old rifle and it’s a little big form factor compared to the red dots of 1-4s, yeah, but it’s also pretty dang light for its size and I bet it’s the best glass of any other option for the price those z3s are selling at now.

Reactions: Millron
When my dad passed last year, I inherited his gun collection... He was a Marlin lever guy, and he had a brand new (unfired) late-90's model 1894SS 20" .44 Mag. It still had the plug screws in the top, and had never had an optic installed, and he never shot that rifle once. I cleaned the whole thing up (it was dusty from years of sitting behind a closet door untouched), bought an EGW pic rail for the top so I can use good rings, and put my old Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 SFP LPVO on there, and it's absolutely perfect for a woods gun. With factory Hornady LeverEvolution 225gr. ammo it printed a 3-shot group at 3/4 MOA @ 100 yards. I was in shock. The LeverEvolution ammo made his old Marlin 336 .30-30 shoot around 1-1.5 MOA (IIRC), and with the added velocity, it turned it into a potential 300yd deer rifle.

Here's a few pics of the 1894SS with the Strike Eagle on it.

tempImage63HNqq.pngtempImagepJq3bA.pngtempImageKkPy1I.pngXBAO8115.jpeg

Lever actions beg for glossy scopes. Besides Leupold, Leica and S&B made some sweet gloss scopes.

Here is a nice looking S&B. Not sure if it’s any good. 1.5-6x??

AA5BC41C-2A27-40F8-AB36-2099857A5797.jpeg
39C1E833-169F-4598-B480-F5470B27A906.jpeg

link

Reactions: moosemeat
I've also enjoyed red dots on lever guns. A small MRDS adds no weight is is much easier to use than irons in all conditions.

Magnification is still nice in thick woods though. There are those "thread the needle" shots at <100 yards where it's helpful to see in detail which part of the deer is visible through that small opening in the brush.

I think there is a reason why 3-9 became the default option. It generally provides enough FOV on the low end and more than enough mag on the high end for most common hunting situations.
This is true, and is the reason I swapped from a red dot sight to a magnified optic on my go-to deer and pig rifle. Lots of shots are through small clearings in the trees, and a non-magnified red dot makes these shots much riskier.

My hunting rifles all wear 3-9X40's and my Benchrest rifles all wear Weaver 36X's..

JMHO

• Haha
Reactions: Jeff Gahler
I have an older one of these, it is a dandy scope and the reticle works very well.

so you're telling my i would have killed my black bear more deader more quicker if i wasn't using a razor gen 3 at like 10x at 65y?

Are these your rings?

View attachment 8195480

Woof!
Are you talking height or quality.
Cause they’re Nightforce and there’s none better

And
Some light reading for you

so you're telling my i would have killed my black bear more deader more quicker if i wasn't using a razor gen 3 at like 10x at 65y?
I’ve had things happen like a fawn jumping up at 5-10 yards with cover close by.

Never would have got it with high power

Did anyone suggest a leeoooopold vx-2 yet? Na, ok good. Hard to argue against something 2-10 3-9 3-12 3-15 for a good general purpose scope. The Trijicon accupoint 3-9 light small and can be had with a mildot. Which is a reticle that makes a general purpose scope a better general purpose scope IMO.

Did anyone suggest a leeoooopold vx-2 yet? Na, ok good. Hard to argue against something 2-10 3-9 3-12 3-15 for a good general purpose scope. The Trijicon accupoint 3-9 light small and can be had with a mildot. Which is a reticle that makes a general purpose scope a better general purpose scope IMO.
Deer have figured out how to evade being seen through a 3-9. That’s why we don’t recommend that. 😀

I've got a couple of 1.5X6X42 scopes that I think are the best for hunting in the woods/brush, my shots are seldom over 60 yrds, I also run Aimpoints on a couple of my hunting rifles.

Reactions: JBoomhauer
Another vote here for a RDS - simple, fast and great for dynamic shooting and rapid target acquisition. They are also as small and light as you want them to be. I've used an LPVO as well... almost entirely on 1x.