• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Scope Input

TacticalRem

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2011
Dallas, TX
Please provide any personal input on a scope decision. I am building a 338 Lapua and I am looking at scopes for a long range rifle like this. I have used the Nightforce 5.5-22x50 but It's not as clear as I would like. I'm thinking of the SWFA 5-20x50 SSHD, a Leupole Mark 4 er/t, Vortex, US Optics, etc. Of course I would like to get the best buy for the buck but I also want a scope that is matched to the rifle. I value your input so thanks in advance.

Re: Scope Input

If I lived in Dallas, I would probably drive over to Red Oaks and check them all out at SWFA...

Of what you mentioned my preference is Vortex Razor HD. However I have been very happy with the Premier 5-25x56 Gen II XR that sits on my 338 and I would consider nothing else for an ELR rig.

I have a Horus Vision Falcon with the H-37 reticle on my .338 and I love it. I recently purchased a Premier with the XR reticle in it and I must say the glass is superb. I have never owned a Vortex but they are getting really good reviews.

I also suggest making sure the scope has enough elevation adjustment to shoot the distances you want to shoot. Most people have canted scope bases to help with this issue.

I have 338 Lapua that I use for 600yd shooting and had a
NF 5-22x56. It was not as clear to me as I would have liked but my problem was my eyes not the scope. What really helped me was a booster lens "BulzEyePro". It made a huge difference with seeing smaller targets.
Check to see if your reticle focus is set to your eye. If it is off being on the scope a long time will cause blurring.