• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope is moving

tanda10506

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Phelan, CA
I shot about 100 rounds through my .308 SPS-V which has a Millet LRS on it. It wasn't the first time shooting it but it was the first time that I shot that many rounds. I noticed after about 40 shots that my scope was sliding forward in the rings. The rings on it are made by Millet and came with the scope. They are the "tactical" looking type with 6 screws on top. I checked the screws on both rings and all 6 on each were tight. I do use caution not to over tighten them, but they were pretty snug none the less. It's not sliding on the base or anything and it's not sliding back like I would expect, it's just sliding forward after shooting. Is it the rings? Because I don't think I should tighten them any more then they are. Thanks

Re: Scope is moving

Disassemble the rings and scope and make sure all contact surfaces are clean and oil free.

I had the same setup for several years and the scope never moved. The scope's reticle started moving but that's another story

Clean rings and scope and reassemble, torqueing the screws to specs, (about 16 to 18 in/lbs). One mans snug is anothers loose. with the torque meter you will be sure.

Lapping the rings might help. Honestly though you might want to upgrade to something like the TPS rings.

I had that problem with my 45/70 damaged 1 scope when the tube had very deep gouges in it caused by it sliding through the rings. what i did that stoped this was to put some insulation tape (only 1 piece) onto the top and bottom of the rings then reassembled, scope never moved through the rings after that.

I might try that grevo.. I have a SuperRedhawk in .480 that is making the scope slide in the rings.. I think it's gouged enough of the scope now to stay put, but we shall see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRS_Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might try that grevo.. I have a SuperRedhawk in .480 that is making the scope slide in the rings.. I think it's gouged enough of the scope now to stay put, but we shall see. </div></div>

Disassemble and torque according to manufacture's specs. If you over tighten rings you could bind the internals of your scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grevo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> what i did that stoped this was to put some insulation tape (only 1 piece) onto the top and bottom of the rings then reassembled, scope never moved through the rings after that.</div></div>

that has worked so well for me on sliders that i do it on all my scopes now. i figure why wait for it to slip, do it up front.

a fraction of a cent of electrical tape usually saves an expensive optic from that butt ugly mark or even worse dents and gouges.