• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope issue, or me issue?

Dlewis89

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2020
fort drum, NY
Now before I start this, it's likely a me issue.. As this happens with high and low dollar scopes. I've tested this on an Athlon, nightforce, vortex, all the way to monstrum, Nikko stirling and simmons hunting scopes.

The issue, isn't blurry x hair. Everytime I Google I get tips on how I can fix the x hair, that's seemingly fine. The issue is almost.. Ghosting or double vision of the target. Like out of focus, only when met with the x hair. If I shift the image to a corner of the scope view.... Crystal clear. As soon as it's met with the x hair, my eye goes haywire!

If it was just one scope, yeah I'd live with tossing it up to "eh, it's cheap" or "well even good companies make mistakes" but really, all my scopes do this.

I will say, if wearing my glasses (I have an astigmatism) it's much less present but still there. And it goes in and out, so it will be clear for a second, then not for a second. Like my eyes are trying to focus too hard. One eye open, or both eyes changes nothing.

I'm almost wondering if this is a training issue. If maybe I have to train my eyes to focus on only the target? I believe my eyes are probably bouncing between the target and the x hair for focus. Only way I can explain a crystal clear image otherwise.

Any helpful tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Well, I can tell you one thing, gettn old eyes sucks. A cryn shame I coodnt hav had some of the stuff when I was younger that I have now. Wearing glasses shooting sucks. Especially shooting pistols

Reactions: Dlewis89
Are you adjusting the diopter properly or just running the scope or someone elses out of the box?

The shifting sharpness/blurryness almost tells me that your eyes are working to keep focus on the reticle

Have you properly focused your scopes.... NOT parallax.

Get your eyes checked also.
My eyes have been checked numerous times, it's an astigmatism and I do wear glasses. I've adjusted the diopter I think correctly. As in, full power, infinite parallax, look at a white background and focus the thing. That's how the manuals said to do it maybe I'm just not getting the trick or something?

Are you adjusting the diopter properly or just running the scope or someone elses out of the box?

The shifting sharpness/blurryness almost tells me that your eyes are working to keep focus on the reticle

It's adjusted I BELIEVE correctly. I may have to sit down with someone and have them help me, I did it to what I've been told by the papers that came with one of my scopes on adjusting it. It seemed fine, I've tried adjusting with and without glasses. Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly

I first had a ghosting problem in my early 40's. First noticed the double front site when I was pistol shooting with iron sites. That's when I was first diagnosed with a an astigmatism problem. As I got older the problem worsened
Now I have a similar problem like you have .My shooting glasses are corrected for my astigmatism but when you tilt my head I'm not looking thru the part of my scope that has the optimum astigmatism adjustment. I went round and round much like you did. My Optometrist explained what was happening to me. The only thing that helped me was to stay away from scope fine scope reticules. Don't know if this helps but I thought I'd let you know what I was told.

I first had a ghosting problem in my early 40's. First noticed the double front site when I was pistol shooting with iron sites. That's when I was first diagnosed with a an astigmatism problem. As I got older the problem worsened
Now I have a similar problem like you have .My shooting glasses are corrected for my astigmatism but when you tilt my head I'm not looking thru the part of my scope that has the optimum astigmatism adjustment. I went round and round much like you did. My Optometrist explained what was happening to me. The only thing that helped me was to stay away from scope fine scope reticules. Don't know if this helps but I thought I'd let you know what I was told.

That's what I was kinda afraid of hearing. An astigmatism isn't the normal "eye" issues with just blurring. I'm still troubleshooting to find what helps.. But I feel like I'm wasting money buying high dollar optics I can not use to their potential lol

That's what I was kinda afraid of hearing. An astigmatism isn't the normal "eye" issues with just blurring. I'm still troubleshooting to find what helps.. But I feel like I'm wasting money buying high dollar optics I can not use to their potential lol
Do you wear corrective lenses? I have an astigmatism, I’m 44 and don’t seem to have the same issues. I sometimes wear glasses or contacts and sometimes I don’t. But I can sure tell the difference when I do.

Do you wear corrective lenses? I have an astigmatism, I’m 44 and don’t seem to have the same issues. I sometimes wear glasses or contacts and sometimes I don’t. But I can sure tell the difference when I do.
I do, whether I wear them or not it's still an issue, but much more so without them. That's what lead me to believe it's probably me. I'm only 32 but I guess this is aging.

*update*

It appears I've been doing the adjustment all wrong. I didn't know I was supposed to wait and take my eye off the scope when making adjustment. I've been turning it until it seemed right with my eye always looking through it... That's something I missed when reading the booklet though that wasn't in the booklet.

I did come out with a drastically different adjustment when doing this. However I did do it with my glasses on, as that's the only way to fix my astigmatism. I'll probably see if I can't get actual larger shooting glasses.

Goes to show it may help to have a guiding hand even if you think you know what you're doing.. I guess my eye was adjusting as I adjusted it, giving a "false" adjustment. Doh..

Thanks all for the replies, it made me go back and double check some things where my understanding was lacking.

Reactions: gconnoyer