• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope issue

LongRange98

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2022
California
Good day all, I decided to upgrade my zeiss v4 with a new Steiner M7xi 4-28x56. As I open the box and pop open the flip caps to take a look at the glass I see what appears to be oil drops & a mist of some sort inside the lens.. The outside lens are clean this is internal. Very disappointed with the quality control of a 3k optic almost 4k. Has anyone had a similar issue with Steiner? I will be sending this back to them for repair..
IMG_2412.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2411.png
    IMG_2411.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2405.jpeg
    IMG_2405.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Could have happened during shipping. Happens to the best of em but what matters Is how the manufacturer handles it.

Reactions: GhostFace
Good day all, I decided to upgrade my zeiss v4 with a new Steiner M7xi 4-28x56. As I open the box and pop open the flip caps to take a look at the glass I see what appears to be oil drops & a mist of some sort inside the lens.. The outside lens are clean this is internal. Very disappointed with the quality control of a 3k optic almost 4k. Has anyone had a similar issue with Steiner? I will be sending this back to them for repair..View attachment 8175424
Who did you buy it from ? Rather than send it back to Steiner and YOU be the party that is inconvenienced, let the distributor deal with Steiner.

From the sounds of it, it's a brand new scope. Why should you bear the brunt of getting a brand new, out of the box, defective product repaired ?

Who did you buy it from ? Rather than send it back to Steiner and YOU be the party that is inconvenienced, let the distributor deal with Steiner.

From the sounds of it, it's a brand new scope. Why should you bear the brunt of getting a brand new, out of the box, defective product repaired ?
You are right, The scope was purchased from Eurooptic. I have no doubt they would make it right I just thought since it’s a warranty issue I would have to go through Steiner personally.

You are right, The scope was purchased from Eurooptic. I have no doubt they would make it right I just thought since it’s a warranty issue I would have to go through Steiner personally.
Yeah, call Europtic. I've never purchased from them, but they have a pretty damned good reputation. I'd be surprised if they don't take it back/exchange/issue credit/refund you.

Reactions: LongRange98
I had the same thing happen on a brand new Schmidt and Bender 5-25 PM II. Contacted S&B in Virginia, they sent me a shipping label and had it back in less than 3 weeks. Ended up being grease specks.

I have had a couple scopes come in like that. The last one was 3-12 LRTSi that I didn't want loose by sending it for warranty. I decided to deal with the specs. After sitting in the safe a while they fell back off the lens.

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
I had a whole rifle show up from GAP with the barrel not torqued on. They took care of it immediately. Shiz happens, even with the best.

Something tells me they'll take care of it for you.

Call EuroOptic first, years ago I had a NF arrive with an issue out of the box and they had one on the way to me the next day with a return label for the other one. No muss no fuss.
That’s reassuring, I’ve had great experiences with eurooptic I just figured this would become stieners issue. I had to mssg them since they are closed for the holidays, I will keep you posted when they get back to me.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
I had the same thing happen on a brand new Schmidt and Bender 5-25 PM II. Contacted S&B in Virginia, they sent me a shipping label and had it back in less than 3 weeks. Ended up being grease specks.
That could possibly be the same issue I’m dealing with, Glad S&B took care of you promptly.

I had a whole rifle show up from GAP with the barrel not torqued on. They took care of it immediately. Shiz happens, even with the best.

Something tells me they'll take care of it for you.
That’s unfortunate glad they took care of you though, I probably just got a bad one it appears this is not a common issue with them.

I have had a couple scopes come in like that. The last one was 3-12 LRTSi that I didn't want loose by sending it for warranty. I decided to deal with the specs. After sitting in the safe a while they fell back off the lens.
Honestly it’s tempting to just try that, however euro won’t accept returns for a mounted optic, If it does not go away I’d be stuck /:

Reactions: Threadcutter308
This can happen with any optic from any company. Happened with my PMII 6-36 as well. It sucks but it happens. Particles of that size are hard to avoid, especially when you magnify them with your optic.

Honestly it’s tempting to just try that, however euro won’t accept returns for a mounted optic, If it does not go away I’d be stuck /:
I did not mean for it to seam I suggesting to try it with a new scope. As someone else suggested, I think this happens during shipping sometimes. Maybe a combination of high temps and heavy impacts. I think It is likely a rough handling issue and not a QC issue.

I never in a million year expected the specs on the lens to go away on their own. Although I guess I should have. My old Steiner binoculars had a spec on the lens when I bought them used, that is no longer there.

From my experience it's rare to see an optic without any specks of dust inside the lenses. You just don't see them unless they are on the same plane as the reticle (which is probably your case).

Just like you don't see dust on your objective lens and your occular lens unless there's a shit ton of them.

From my experience it's rare to see an optic without any specks of dust inside the lenses. You just don't see them unless they are on the same plane as the reticle (which is probably your case).

Just like you don't see dust on your objective lens and your occular lens unless there's a shit ton of them.
Thing it’s not dust it’s like oil or water droplets inside big & fine alike.

This can happen with any optic from any company. Happened with my PMII 6-36 as well. It sucks but it happens. Particles of that size are hard to avoid, especially when you magnify them with your optic.
That’s surprising but at least I’m not alone & you were all taken care off so that gives me hope.

Not to be a dick, but I am confused. Your title of thread bashes a company or two, then in the same thread you say, said issue is seen during unboxing, but in another post you indicate the scope was mounted? Regardless, I am sure Europtic will help you and if not, Steiner will definitely help you. But how about give folks a chance before starting a thread on a public forum and titling it in this manner. Both these companies provide excellent customer service in my experience. I have sent two scopes to Greeley, CO with fast turn around and bought at least two scopes from Europtic without issue.

Attachments

• 110C6965-D4D2-4A16-A623-E911B4D416EF.png
    110C6965-D4D2-4A16-A623-E911B4D416EF.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • A772AD9F-6321-4F07-80F7-F82C85D5439E.png
    A772AD9F-6321-4F07-80F7-F82C85D5439E.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
FWIW, I had the same issue with the same model scope. The speck fell off the lens after the first bout of shooting and I haven't seen it since.

Reactions: LongRange98
This happened with S&B a while back. Turned out it was the type of grease they used, and during shipping the heat caused it to liquify and in some cases (when applied to liberally) drip onto the inner lens. They took care of every incident I ever heard of, and I am certain Steiner will do the same for yours. Is it annoying - yes, but sometimes things like that happens. My guess is Steiner will just replace yours with another (if they have them on-hand), to keep turn around time short.

In my experience most of the high end companies like S&B and Steiner are very good at taking care of these type of issues.

Not to be a dick, but I am confused. Your title of thread bashes a company or two, then in the same thread you say, said issue is seen during unboxing, but in another post you indicate the scope was mounted? Regardless, I am sure Europtic will help you and if not, Steiner will definitely help you. But how about give folks a chance before starting a thread on a public forum and titling it in this manner. Both these companies provide excellent customer service in my experience. I have sent two scopes to Greeley, CO with fast turn around and bought at least two scopes from Europtic without issue.
Well to clear things up, The scope was never mounted I simply looked through the scope after unboxing, 2nd never bashed eurooptic they’ve always been great as I said to others on replies, 3rd I was trying to find out if others who have purchased this scope have had similar issues ( upon reading some reviews from customers who have purchased this optic I’m not the only one) Hope that clears things up for you.

The warranty on Steiner can't be beat - particularly on the M7's, no other scope manufacturer in the industry offers the same type of full replacement warranty, not ZCO, Tangent, Schmidt, Nightforce or anyone that I am aware of offers a lifetime fully transferrable replacement warranty on their high end optics.

The warranty on Steiner can't be beat - particularly on the M7's, no other scope manufacturer in the industry offers the same type of full replacement warranty, not ZCO, Tangent, Schmidt, Nightforce or anyone that I am aware of offers a lifetime fully transferrable replacement warranty on their high end optics.
Absolutely, I’ll definitely be giving them another shot in the future thanks for all the info @Fred @ Bison Tactical

I had the same thing happen to my first m7xi 4-28, i was shooting my 338NM and noticed the oil splash after a range session.
Steiner/ Beretta replaced my scope and this one has been good for the last 2 years.
I'm very happy with mine