• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Scope lense caps - yes or no

5Baize

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2021
Fr-29S
Opinion about the use of flip up lense cover for PRS shooting?

Traditionally I've always set them up on my scopes in order to keep them in the best condition possible.

BUT shooting PRS:

They sometime are in the way on very tight opening
I have to confess that once in a while I'll start a stage with them down
Etc...

My knew ZCO came bare and I'm wondering if it is worth buying a set of cap.

I can only speak for myself and my personal preferences......on my ZCO's I mostly leave them on, they are set so they aren't in the way of the bolt throw, or anything. I have removed them in certain matches, but I prefer to keep my lenses free of dust, etc...as much as possible. They are on and left on over 90% of the time, and I close them after every stage.

For PRS I take them off. Best case scenario, they get broken on a prop, worst case you start with them closed. In the rain, they caused more problems than they solved for me (lens would fog up).

I carry a full cover that I put on the rifle and scope if conditions dictate it (rain, wind/dust/Oklahoma...). I also carry a Giottos air blaster to blow the lenses free of precipitation or dirt should it be needed during a match. This combination has worked much better for me that the lens caps.

Reactions: Lightning8
I've been using mine since I started competing PRS last summer. I want to keep the dust off the lenses as much as possible. They haven't been an issue on props and checking that they are open is part of my pre-stage ritual.

Reactions: Craig Brown
I use a bikini cover and take it off at the beginning of the match and put it on at the end. Can't tell you how many times I've seen guys waste 5 seconds with their lens caps.

I don’t run scope covers. Prob for the same reasons above. Plus I broke one on a barricade once. I run a sun shade to protect the objective lens and have a cordura dust cover that goes over my scope and action when I’m not shooting.

I have always run scope caps on my scopes for 20 years of shooting matches. I want my glass protected. Same reason I always run a sunshade. Haven’t broken a cap since I stopped using the old Butler Creek style years ago. I guess I have gotten in the habit of popping them up when getting ready for a stage. Also with caps that lay flat there isn’t an issue sticking them through props.

Reactions: camocorvette
I am using the Zeiss caps on my Zeiss scopes but using the new Butler Creek Element scope caps on my other scopes and they are much better than the old BC caps. Have also use the vortex Defender caps and they worked well also.

I've got the vortex defender caps. They've worked good enough and if they ever get damaged, they aren't too expensive to replace.

I like having them. Especially out here in the windy dusty west. I use the vortex defender held
On with electrical tape. I can take them off easily if the need ever arises. Just develop a good prestige routine and they shouldn’t be an issue

I run the Vortex covers and like them. They are easy on and off. I have pulled them off on a barricade here and there, but never felt like I lost points due to them. Have I left them closed on a stage, yes, but then I have forgot to predial, reload mags and other things that I try to have a routine for prestaging. I like the protection they offer.

I use a Wiebad rifle caddie. Keeps my lenses/scope/action safe, allows good circulation to prevent fogging and I don't have to worry about forgetting to flip lense covers up or the covers getting in the way.