• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Scope level?

Moof

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2009
Celestine Indiana
I know of a few different ways to level up a scope but what is the best way?

* Put a level on top of the turret and on the base.
* Put a feeler gauge between the bottom of the scope and the base.
* Once sited in run the elivation up and see if the group is in line.

Any other ways of doing it?

Re: Scope level?

Put the gun in a vise with the top of the base level, rifle aiming at a a known plumb or level object in the distance.
Mount the scope with the ring-tops loose.
twist the scope until the reticle lines up with the distant plumb or level surface.....tighten.

Do whatever releases warm and fuzzy feelings from your brain...

This way, when your head goes on the stock your mind isn't constantly seconding guessing your equipment.

I've done the feeler guages, it works good. Most of the time though, my OCD gets the best of me and I level the rifle on my kitchen table pointing out to the back yard, where I have a 36" level hanging on a fence with a 3" shoot-n-c stuck on it. I line up the vertical on my reticle with the edge of the level on the fence.
BTW, I level the rifle by putting a level on the base. The turrets are no good...

I use the shoot-n-c at the same time to roughly bore sight it...

I keep 2 small 6" levels in my range bag for leveling scopes (at Home Depot for $4 each). I'll sit one on top of the turret and one on the bottom of the rifle. Set the rifle on a bipod and heavy sandbag at the rear and level the rifle. Have your scope set up already (eye releif set, and ready to tighten the rings) and turn the scope slightly til the rifle and scope are level, then tighten the rings. Then, double check once screws are tight. If you can level the rifle off the top of the base, even better. This works for me, and gets you very close as long as the bottom mag well and tops of the turrets are level.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wheeler sells a set of levels made to go on the raceways of the action and one for the top of the scope. You will be happy you got them. </div></div>

I've seen those but the looked a lil to cheep though. I may get one if they are that good.?.
The fence method: I'm going to try that.

I'm going to start shootin some long range matches next year and KNOWING that my rig is correct will give me "warm and fuzzy" thoughts. Thanks for the intel guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do whatever releases warm and fuzzy feelings from your brain...

This way, when your head goes on the stock your mind isn't constantly seconding guessing your equipment. </div></div>
+1
When it comes down to it, that's what matters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Moof,

Just eyeball it..... (grin) </div></div>

What do you think I do? Wonder why I give "warning shots" first... NO MORE now sinse I started lookin throught the scope with both eyes! Better the odds????

what has worked for me:

1. eyeball it, switch shouldering the rifle so it looks level both ways

2. when satisfied, put a small level on the flat part of the receiver (if you can find a spot or rig a level to a flat piece of steel that you KNOW is actually flat) this will level the rifle, which is the foundation of this.

3. a little ways down range post a paper and make a large + (cross) on it using a level both horizontal and vertical.

4. center the cross hairs on the target (which is level) while making sure the rifle stays level, thus making the crosshairs level. go up and down, left and right the rifle while keeping it level to ensure the superimposing of the crosshairs with the + on the paper, or you can dow it with the elevation / windage
adjustments on the scope.

5. you can level the scope an give it a quick boresighting at the same time from the comfort of your back porch

i like to use the feeler gauge method also, but sometimes feel that if i don't get it right when i tighten down the optic, it may bow / bend the scope when it doesn't need that extra stress

putting a level on the turret works to some extent, but i know of many turrets that sat cocked or may not be perfectly aligned with the crosshairs inside (both cheap and expensive scopes)

remember you want to calibrate the scope to the rifle, not calibrate the "scope to the scope". when you put the level on the turret, your calibrating the levelness of the crosshairs to the levelness of the scope features, and isn't calibrating to the center on the bore and levelness of the rifle. putting a level on the turret also doesn't take into account the rings or bases, although rare, being a little off level.

I have found the Bushnell #74-3333 Bore Sighter set with collimating grid to be one of the most useful gun tools I have ever bought.

#1 Set contains 3 adjustable arbors/spuds that orient and align the collimator with your center bore-line.

#2 The collimator grid has 100 squares corresponding to 400 moa of area. Each square is 4moa by 4moa.

#3 Collimator aligns your crosshair both vertical and horizontal and shows any discrepancy immediately.

#4 Collimator can check your scope turret movements without using ammunition to run a box test.

#5 Collimator shows you how your scope cap screw torque sequence can shift your reticle alignment.

#6 Keep a logbook? Collimator will let you swap scopes or check your zero if you log where reticle lies on grid when rifle is sighted in.

#7 Collimator enables you to eliminate much guesswork about why rifle won't shoot and saves you mucho time by diagnosing many problems.

If you also use an adjustable inch pound torque wrench to set your fasteners and action screws, and log the values you use, you eliminate many problems that can degrade accuracy.

I level my action using a pocket string level.

Then I level my horizontal reticle wire parallel to the siding on the house across the road. I've installed enough siding to know the installer uses a big 6' level and works hard to get those laps truly level/horizontal.

If the elevation adjustment doesn't string 'em in a vertical row, I can't do anything about it without misaliging my reticles away from the horizontal/vertical, anyway.

Greg

The Bushnell Bore Sighter is great for bore sighting and for recording the settings as previously mentioned, however...

The collimator doesn't have a level on it therefore you "level" the collimator off the cross hair not vice versa. IOW the scope has to first be level which is what the thread is about.

Also be aware when boresighting with it, that the collimator may not be aligned with the center of the cross hair. I learned this quickly when trying to bore sight a Nikon scope on a .17HMR (Ruger 77/.22Mag with a GM .17HMR bull barrel.) The Ruger rings put the scope to high and the collimator wouldn't center in the scope, lacking a good .25" or more.

YMMV

I just use the level built inside my scope, after leveling the flat place behind and under the scope.

I've used every method that I know of over the past 20 years or so. I can tell you the Wheeler level set is a good idea but its crap. No plastic levels should be trusted and are never flat. One set is different than another set. Some are warped or bowed. The turret tops also are no good to use as a guide. I have a Nightforce and the turret looks like an end mill nearly came thru from the other side. It has a round raised spot in the center so obviously, its not flat. Others I've checked are better but some have a slightly convex top so its not good. May be close enough but like Lowlight said, it will cause you to think too much about how many things are working against you when you touch off that long shot. Feelers under the scope? Same thing. I didnt make the scope so how do I know that its flat? Maybe flat but how do I know its true with the cross hair? How do you know the cross hair isnt canted? Depends on what scope you have and how its made. Even if the turrets run true, if the cross hair is canted like so many Leupolds, it may or may not be good when you level it. Level inside the scope? Springfield scope? Are you kidding? Please, I've not seen one that would even track well enough to care if its level or not.

OK so IMHO whats the right way? Beats me. lol I use the plumb Bob hanging down range. Level the rifle and set the cross hair to the hanging line and carefully tighten the rings and keep checking and make sure the rifle stays level. Then you still have to check the tracking up and down to be sure unless you know your scope and trust it from past shooting.

I've set the barreled action up in a mill to swing the barrel and find dead center to check to see if its centered with the base because after all, thats what should really matter, right? Thats what all this is for. I've done this a few times and at least two times I wish I hadnt checked. I dont need to tell you customs fair better than factory actions. Most often I find the front of the base and the rear arent in line with each other. Not every one but if you're the lucky one to get one of the actions fit for a paper weight...and you want to be precise...No simply horizontally stripped sloppy loose plastic bubble leveling rubber band bullshit in the world is going to get the job done if you really want to know the truth. Happy shooting

I use a small 3-inch hexagonal aluminum level across the scope base to get the gun level, then line the reticle up with a hanging plumb line.

i realy dont think wheeler level level is acurate..anyway did anyone tried this? (bolt action)
put ring on the base torque it 15-20 now lay the scope put upper part of ring hand tight set your scope moving it forward bacward to your eye desire
put a tape on the scope rear and front part of the ring just to make sure scope stay at the same place..loosen both ring(base) put it on your favorite AR15 (wit rail)cause its realy hard to level bolt action trough rail base with the scope on it cant fit any leveler..mount scope to your AR tighten ring(base) 15-20 lbs now level your AR15 base to zero and the top of your scope tighten scope ring make sure ring wont move thats what the tape for so if you will put it back to your bol action ring still line up with the rail base...sorry guys english is my second laguange..i was thinking about doing this i wanna see if someone ever tried it..