• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope levels

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
So I've been using the Vortex branded scope levels and they work fine.

should I be trying the Accuracy 1st? I read years ago that it sometimes "sticks" and the ball needs a light shake to work.

Does it make a difference whether it's:

aluminum or printed?

rail mounted vs ring on scope?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

(I am not interested in anything electronic)

Considering trying the MK polymer rail mounted to try

I struggle not for easy targets at distance, but if the target itself is crooked I struggle to NOT make my reticle line up perpendicular with the crooked target. Why I struggle to trust my brain because I feel my eyes play tricks on me sometimes. I think I'm straight... but then I realize I'm way off according to my bubble level and then realize the target is canted.

an older thread if anyone wants to do more reading:

Which Vortex level? The Lo Pro version or the chunkier one? IME, the LoPro version is much better/nicer than the regular one.

Chunky

The lo pro is indeed nicer, but I found using both on the same scope (diff guns)

I could reference the fatty quicker and easier

At the current placement I can "see" it floating with my left eye (both eyes open R eye dominant)

edit:
lo pro is directly into my field of vision. when placed behind the turret housing closer to the eye- even on non dominant eye side, seems to "push" into my scope view too much, but more easily accessible to see but it's literally in my scope when I shoot both eyes open

I run the chunky in front of the turret housing farther from the eye, too big to be up close- less distracting but still floating in the upper right as my non dominant has it in view

currently have one of each mounted on 2 guns, both 34mm. will play for a while and see

Last edited:
For me, the chunky one has bubble separation under recoil. That's a no-go for me.

For 34mm, I prefer Tubb's ELR, it's pretty sensitive. It's like an upgraded LoPro.

Long Range Arms Send it digital levels have worked well for us. Super easy to pick up in your periphery. Love that it can be mounted horizontally or vertically.
Send It Levels

I use the Accuracy 1st on several platforms. I prefer to highlight the level indices as they are not at all easy to read without enhancement.
As an aside, one can also use the horizontal reticle on target references to assist in whether or not the rifle is canted.

DSCN2892 copy.JPG
DSCN4631 copy 2.JPG
DSCN4632 copy 2.JPG
DSCN2736 copy 3.JPG

Last edited:
^^No. Just like painting sights. Use a white base coat, THEN apply the second coat of desired color. IF you try to paint a green / yellow / red etc on a black / FDE base it never appears bright, which is the point of painting it, usually.
I use this system of paints; one kit will last a decade unless you are doing friends and extended family. Lots of folks use Testors model paint and it apparently works for them. I build highly detailed car models but my models don't leave the house.

Gunsmith Sight Paint copy.JPG
IMG_8295 copy.JPG

CIMG0360 copy.JPG
IMG_6487 copy.JPG

Last edited:
^^No. Just like painting sights. Use a white base coat, THEN apply the second coat of desired color. IF you try to paint a green / yellow / red etc on a black / FDE base it never appears bright, which is the point of painting it, usually.
I use this system of paints; one kit will last a decade unless you are doing friends and extended family. Lots of folks use Testors model paint and it apparently works for them. I build highly detailed car models but my models don't leave the house.

View attachment 7857535View attachment 7857536
Well it seems incredibly obvious when you say it like that lol. Never even crossed my mind.

I've been using the same bright day glo orange nail polish bottle for years now for the tip of the AR sight. Wonder if it would be brighter (it's already pretty bright) if it had a base coat of white...

I can assure you my vials are as sensitive as the Accuracy 1st, don't stick out past turrets, and cost significantly less. There is no level that takes less space between scope and rail (just over 1/8") to install without having to remove your optic.

And I give 10% off to hide members. You could get levels for two guns and come out ahead ;)

I really prefer the Accuracy 1st levels to the other ones I have tried.

We also sell them...

I really like that the ceramic ball doesn't change over time in size, and that if CANT is required, you have some indication of what amount of CANT is being induced. MPA also includes a plastic inclinometer on their chassis. Which I think is really what is being used verses an actual level?

I however have switched personally to the LRA (now MDT) electronic levels since I am old and and can't see fine detail at those distances w/o reading glasses these days. The lights on the LRA are WAY easier to see quickly out of my peripheral version...

Reactions: pineoak