• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope LOS / bore separation geometry

Hopkins

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2011
My bolt gun's scope los is typically 1.5" above the bore while the scope's los on my FN-Fal is 2.75". The geometry for elevations is different for the two. Do any scope makers take this into consideration by offering scopes configured more appropriately for one or the other? I have tried to search here for threads covering this topic and if I have missed them I apologize.

Re: Scope LOS / bore separation geometry

Don't know how that could be done . . . ???

A scope is just a tube with lenses for magnification and cross hairs for sighting.

There's really nothing that can be done about how high it sits above the axis of the bore.

what I mean is a scope with a line of sight that is 1.5" above the bore axis requires more adjustment than one 2.75" above the bore axis. Each click or multiples of,on each will have a different result, won't they?

You are on to something, but it is out of the hands of the manufacturer.

What you are looking for is called mechanical offset, and, yes it does make a difference.

It is compensated with accurate DOPE.

On the same exact rifle with different scope heights, the amount of adjustment to get to a certain range will change. Not by much, unless you are dialing up for sub 100 yard shots. Then it makes a big difference.

My question came about by comparing ballistic charts where the only variable changed was the height of the scope. Trajectories and required adjustments are large between 1.5 and 3 inch sight height zeroed at 100yds and projected to 500yds and beyond.

Watching a program last night recreating a shooter engaging targets well past 1000m with a Barret 50bmg and started wondering if the military has a specific scope designed just for it.

Any scope used it just an off the shelf product, there is no specific scope other than to adjust the scopes internally to work with a greater degree of cant at the base. The military does not use a special scope, other than they get a scope with more adjustment out of the box.

You're over thinking it, the adjustments have nothing to do with it, the mechanical offset helps determine the trajectory. Whether you have a ring height or 1" or 10" the scope still moves the same. the dope is different because you changed the right angle.

If you have a scope with limited adjustment, you zero it out farther so you use less adjustment so you can dial out past it's limitation if it was zeroed at 100 yards. So a Barrett needing to go out farther can be zeroed at 600 yards instead of 100.