• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope magnification for 800 yards or so.

thefiremeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Nevada
I'm currently shooting a 308 bolt gun and 223ar. I'd like to shoot those out to about 800 yards or so. I'm also looking at doing a tikka build to shoot out to 1000 at some point. Haven't decided on a caliber yet. Maybe a 22 creedmore.

Question is, do you need more than a 4-20x50 to shoot that far? I was looking a picking up a Night force ATACR 4-20x50.

I'm sure a 5-25 x56 ATACR would be better for that range but is the size and weight really necessary to reach out that far?

I don't see myself shooting at 800 to 1000 all the time so I don't want to over scope my gun but I don't want to go under either.

Anyone using a 4-20x50 to shoot at 800 to a 1000?

I never really use above 15-20x for anything other than trying to shoot tiny groups at 100 yards. I had a 7-35x atacr and loved it (sold for financial problems) but for matches never used over maybe 15-18x. Mirage made the higher end kind of useless at distance. There's always the "better to have it and not need it " school of thought. Depending on your uses..recreational shooting, competition, hunting..and your budget, reticle and feature preference, you will probably find what you want just shopping that way

I was a click or two high.
6.5 Manbun at a mile on a 36x36" steel.
I usually shoot at the IPSC instead.

IMG_0214.jpg

A 4" plate is easy enough at 800 with the scope on 16x.

4-20 is a good spot to be, my opinion. 15x is plenty to bang steel to that distance. A little more will make it easier to see splash and impact marks on plate the further you go. But mirage can have you dialed back around 8 also so there’s that.
Sounds like you have a sound plan, just run with it.

8x to 12x will work great at that range. I use a 4-20 at 800+ yards pretty regularly. I’m rarely over 12x at 1,000 yards. A 4-20x is a great do-everything mag range in my opinion.

8x to 12x will work great at that range...I’m rarely over 12x at 1,000 yards...4-20x is a great do-everything mag range in my opinion.
While every shooter is different in his preferred magnification range, I agree with "Secant" and that the 4-20 is a good power band for most shooters. Let me add though that it also depends on your eyes and the line weight and reticle style. For instance, I've been happy with the Vortex Razor 2C reticle at 12-15 power out to 3250 yards. When I got behind a Vortex 7C reticle, I found that because it has more subtension graduations, it requires me to increase the magnification to 15-18 power for the same distances, anything less and all MY eyes see is clutter. YMMV

10x worked for many years all the way to 1k. Just depends on what you want really. I’ve become spoiled to higher magnification lately, but had 10x scopes on a 308 that saw 1k frequently, and a fixed 10 on my Barrett 99