• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Math

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
If I go from a 20 moa mount to 0 moa mount on the same rifle, what adjustment to my elevation will be necessary to have the same POI assuming same distance (100y zero), ammo, conditions, etc? Scope is VXIII with target turrets .25 moa clicks iirc. For full credit please show your work.

Yeah all actual come ups from zero will be the same but I thought he just wanted to know what he would have to adjust to rezero at 100 from a 20 MOA base to a 0 MOA. Just dial up 20 MOA and you will be close at 100.

Reactions: stello1001
Yeah all actual come ups from zero will be the same but I thought he just wanted to know what he would have to adjust to rezero at 100 from a 20 MOA base to a 0 MOA. Just dial up 20 MOA and you will be close at 100.
This is what I am looking for. Just want to dial to rezero from a 20 base to a 0 base. From there dope is all the same.

This is what I am looking for. Just want to dial to rezero from a 20 base to a 0 base. From there dope is all the same.

I'd dial the correction but would still go and make sure it's on paper. That's just me personally though. Chances are, you're gonna be very very close but maybe still off just a tad bit.

Reactions: Vargmat and Rob01
Just added a 20 MOA to my rifle and had to dial it down 20 MOA to hit the same spot. There was some lateral change as expected in zeroing but now that it's zero'd it shoots just like my 0 MOA rail only 20 MOA higher. Going in reverse would be 20 MOA lower but once it's zero'd it's calibrated and all yer DOPE is the same.

VooDoo

What Vodoun said. Dial 20 MOA down. The point of a sloped base is to gain more up adjustment.

No it will be 20 moa of up when moving to a 0 moa base from a 20.

Reactions: Huskydriver
I can probably guess it won't be an exact 20 due to the tolorances and I also would bet you have a little windage shift too.

No it will be 20 moa of up when moving to a 0 moa base from a 20.

20 moa bases tilt the scope downward at the front. Rob01 is correct you will need to dial up 20ish moa

Just added a 20 MOA to my rifle and had to dial it down 20 MOA to hit the same spot. There was some lateral change as expected in zeroing but now that it's zero'd it shoots just like my 0 MOA rail only 20 MOA higher. Going in reverse would be 20 MOA lower but once it's zero'd it's calibrated and all yer DOPE is the same.

VooDoo

I am guessing you put your rail on backwards. Your scope should be sloped from high at your eye to low at the objective end which would require you dialing up. Grab your calipers and measure each end of your rail

The slope in the base points the scope towards the ground. Look through the scope now at the same target as with the flat base and the barrel will be pointing up in the air more. You will shoot over the target. Or maybe it's past my bedtime and I'm over thinking this. Rerun7 has the best answer.

You are overthinking. When you mount on a 20 moa base from flat you will have to dial down 20 moa as the 20 moa base redistributes the internal elevation to a majority of up. Barrel pointing up as scope points down. Go back to a 0 moa base and you have to dial back up to get back to where you were before the 20 moa base.

So dial up approximately 80 clicks. Thank you. From there obvious fine tuning as necessary.

So dial up approximately 80 clicks. Thank you. From there obvious fine tuning as necessary.

Try not to think in clicks. Will make life easier thinking in moa or mils. Use the numbers on the dial and don't count clicks.

Try not to think in clicks. Will make life easier thinking in moa or mils. Use the numbers on the dial and don't count clicks.
Understood. This rifle has my only MOA scope on it and I don’t really care for it or the target turrets but replacing it isn’t a priority at the moment. I scavenged the 20 moa mount it was in for a different rifle hence my question here. I’m throwing another parts bin mount under it just to be able to use it in case. Agree, Mils are much more intuitive and simpler.

Wasn't saying mils are better but counting and thinking in clicks make the shooters life harder as you are counting a lot when you could just be turning to the number. Example, you need to go 5 moa. You going to count 20 clicks or just dial to the 5 on the knob? Which is quicker and easier? That's all I was trying to say.

Also when talking to other shooters you say I moved 10 clicks. Well is that 1 mil with .1 mil scope, 2.5 moa with 1/4 moa scope, 1.25 moa with 1/8 moa scope or 5 moa with 1/2 moa scope? See where the confusion can come in? Speaking in either mils or moa will make it easier to communicate.

Reactions: Stropp
Wasn't saying mils are better but counting and thinking in clicks make the shooters life harder as you are counting a lot when you could just be turning to the number. Example, you need to go 5 moa. You going to count 20 clicks or just dial to the 5 on the knob? Which is quicker and easier? That's all I was trying to say.

Also when talking to other shooters you say I moved 10 clicks. Well is that 1 mil with .1 mil scope, 2.5 moa with 1/4 moa scope, 1.25 moa with 1/8 moa scope or 5 moa with 1/2 moa scope? See where the confusion can come in? Speaking in either mils or moa will make it easier to communicate.
Yes sir. Understood.

Reactions: Rob01
Why do you ask?
Because at a glance it appears you took to an internet forum to ask the difference between zero and twenty. But also, even if the simple math were too confusing, the procedure for zeroing a scope is the same no matter what. Bore sight your rifle (if you don't have a laser bore sighter you can look at through the bore), fire at close range, 25-50 yards, dial in to match point of impact/point of aim, fire at 100 yards and again match point of impact/point of aim.

Because at a glance it appears you took to an internet forum to ask the difference between zero and twenty. But also, even if the simple math were too confusing, the procedure for zeroing a scope is the same no matter what. Bore sight your rifle (if you don't have a laser bore sighter you can look at through the bore), fire at close range, 25-50 yards, dial in to match point of impact/point of aim, fire at 100 yards and again match point of impact/point of aim.
My intent wasnt a parody thread and fortunately the mods didnt take it as one. As you could see there was a little confusion about wether the correction was dial up or down. thankfully the contributing members here added their input and I got the info I was looking for and verified what I thought to be the solution. Since it cost nothing to post except my time and the time of those who chose to read and respond theres no harm. Maybe someone somewhere learned something or will in the future when they search and find this thread. Yup, youre correct I could have started from square one with boresighting and shots fired up close but since in this case it was same rifle, scope, ammo, conditions, etc. I knew I could get very close with a simple correction in the elevation turret. Next time I take this rifle to the range I will fire 1 round and dial to the impact.

Reactions: JaoeyP