• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope mount for early Remington 700

mjh30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2008
Edmonds Washington
Early Remington 700's, prior to 1974, have a different rear (lower)bridge height that the newer rifles(B-prefix). I emailed badger Ordinance and they replied that they did not make a mount that would fit my rifle, I was pretty sure of that already, considering they stated that their replica M40 redfield style base and rings would not fit A-prefix rifles and older. So what are folks using on their older rifles, does the newer (badger, Seekings, Nightforce, etc, etc) bases still fit anyways, is the difference minimal.
Thanks

Re: Scope mount for early Remington 700

Most will suggest a shim and bedding job with the new base to solve the issue. This is the easiest way to get a new base to fit the early receiver, and if done properly will not be noticeable unless you are really looking closely.

The older bases are still pretty plentiful online. You can pick up a 2nd gen style Redfield jr. with the rounded corners for about $30.00. They look like the one below.

pix133227015.jpg

pix133226937.jpg

Fortunately I have several of the older bases fot the rifle, and currently its set up as a M40. Bt I would like to put a picatinny rail on it, and mount an IOR that I got.