• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope mount for semi-precision AR10

curetsky

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2020
I'm currently building an AR10 that I plan to use for longer-range shooting (maybe out to about 1000yds - though I'd also like to be able to potentially transition to CQB if necessary). For a little detail, I'm using an Aero Precision M5 upper with a Wilson Combat match super sniper-profile 18" barrel. Most of the components are on the lighter side (SLR ION ultralight handguard), so I'm trying not to weigh the rifle down too much. That said, I'm putting a Steiner T5Xi 5-25x56mm scope on it.

I've looked at several cantilever mounts as well as rings. Among the options have been Steiner (mount and rings), Geissele, Warne (XSKEL), American Defense, Seekins, Vortex, and even Burris (for the picatinny on top of the scope mount - considering a small red dot for the CQB transition). I also looked at the Aero Precision ultralight SPR (read some opinions about it in a thread here - mostly very positive, but also concerns about rigidity/durability, some have had them break, and also concerns about vertical split rings for a precision rifle). I don't want to cheap out, especially with such an expensive optic, but I also don't want to break the bank (or my back with a lot of extra weight). The optic will be dedicated to this rifle, so no need for QD.

Any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated. This is my first foray into the longer range arena.

PS - Recommendations on a decent (not too heavy) bipod would be helpful as well.

Thank you!

-Chad

Last edited:
I have a 34mm Badger 20MOA cant unimount that I also ordered the 30mm ring inserts for. I picked up through GAP almost 10years ago and it has been rock solid and bomb proof.

If you want to do a RDS off the scope look at their Condition One accessory ring:

Reactions: curetsky
Badger Ordnance unimount is very solid, i had that on my Gap10 also.

american rifle company scope mount is very solid also and leveling the scope extremely easy.

What do you all think of the Scalareorks LEAP? Was recommended by a couple of people. Don't think I need the 20moa cant.

Also, any advice on a bipod that would be sturdy but not too heavy?

Thanks!

Last edited:
some had issue, some don't. Are they good mount? yea.. i think so but i won't use it again.

That's exceedingly interesting. I'd like to see slow mo of how the rings flex under recoil. I wanted something with QD otherwise I would have probably just ended up with a Nikon mount. Then again, I'm not exactly to the point you guys are either and have a few iterations to go.

I have larue mounts on a few gas guns and haven’t had any issues yet. Of course ymmv, last one I bought was a lt745 which has 20moa incline built in.

My go to bipod is the Atlas for medium-long range. Built rock solid, tons of accessories for them, may not be the lightest but you won't have to worry about breaking it either. They typically sell quickly on here in the for sale section and they hold their value well over time. I have 2, one is a QD the other has screws that mount it to a rail. Love them both.

I have a Vortex/American defense QD mount and it has housed many different scopes on many different rifles. Has never malfunction and holds a quality zero from removal to reinstalling it on the same rifle and when you go to a different rifle its usually not a huge difference in the POI rifle to rifle and easy to get a new zero. Has held 3 different Votex PSTs and now I upgraded it to a Vortex AMG. One of my favorite mounts and have owned it for 8+ years or so.

I recently picked up a Warne QD mount in 56mm for a G2 Razor and I really like it too. Was reasonably priced at $190 and they even have color options for it. I went with FDE for the mount and it looks good on a Bronze rifle with the G2 Razor. I really like that they moved the bulky side of the QD to the ejection port side with the Warne mount. They are on sale optics planet right now. $125-175

My go to bipod is the Atlas for medium-long range. Built rock solid, tons of accessories for them, may not be the lightest but you won't have to worry about breaking it either. They typically sell quickly on here in the for sale section and they hold their value well over time. I have 2, one is a QD the other has screws that mount it to a rail. Love them both.

I have a Vortex/American defense QD mount and it has housed many different scopes on many different rifles. Has never malfunction and holds a quality zero from removal to reinstalling it on the same rifle and when you go to a different rifle its usually not a huge difference in the POI rifle to rifle and easy to get a new zero. Has held 3 different Votex PSTs and now I upgraded it to a Vortex AMG. One of my favorite mounts and have owned it for 8+ years or so.

I recently picked up a Warne QD mount in 56mm for a G2 Razor and I really like it too. Was reasonably priced at $190 and they even have color options for it. I went with FDE for the mount and it looks good on a Bronze rifle with the G2 Razor. I really like that they moved the bulky side of the QD to the ejection port side with the Warne mount. They are on sale optics planet right now. $125-175

I saw that on Optics Planet. Was checking out the Warne XSKEL, though someone here thought with the money I put into the glass, I should buy the best mount I could afford (not an exact quote, but close enough). The only other scope I've had is a Vortex Strike Eagle with a Vortex cantilever mount. The Warne looked nice, but I hadn't spoken with anyone (other than the aforementioned commenter) who had experience with them - only hearsay. I appreciate that input. Any thoughts on the Scalarworks LEAP?

Thank you also for the bipod information. I was looking at Atlas but haven't made any decisions yet. Looking at the BT46-LW17 PSR. Do you have any particular model recommendations?

Thank you!

ERA-TAC. Can always buy a non-QD mount plus a QD conversion kit. I think they’re a little less popular of a choice but a top tier mount. Many pictures of S&Bs in their mounts all over the webs. When it comes to the ability to attach accessories, Spuhr is at the top of the game based on availability. Rome and Audere are other options followed by the Badger COMM lineup.

I saw that on Optics Planet. Was checking out the Warne XSKEL, though someone here thought with the money I put into the glass, I should buy the best mount I could afford (not an exact quote, but close enough). The only other scope I've had is a Vortex Strike Eagle with a Vortex cantilever mount. The Warne looked nice, but I hadn't spoken with anyone (other than the aforementioned commenter) who had experience with them - only hearsay. I appreciate that input. Any thoughts on the Scalarworks LEAP?

Thank you also for the bipod information. I was looking at Atlas but haven't made any decisions yet. Looking at the BT46-LW17 PSR. Do you have any particular model recommendations?

Thank you!
The Atlas your looking at is the same one I have. Great choice IMO. Especially if you want to be able to remove it quickly for whatever reason or use it on a different rifle.

The LEAP looks cool for sure. Buy once cry once I suppose :). I sold 6 Vortex Viper PSTs to be able to afford my 2 Vortex Razors. Being able to easily swap them from rifle to rifle is a big priority for me. The medium priced mounts I have been using produce excellent results for me and my rifles. They havent given me a reason to go higher end like spuhr or the leap. But the LEAP looks like a more innovative design than what spuhr has out there as of now IMO.

I buck the trend towards one piece mounts on my precision AR's , especially if the scope is a heavy one.

I use the EGW Extendariser ( 20MOA ) and conventional scope rings of your choice.
I want to support the larger scopes as much as possible. JMHO, but it sure seems to work.
https://www.egwguns.com/ar-rifle-parts/ar-picatinny-mounts/

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...jpg
This photo shows a similar extended rail ( no longer made )
IMG_1052-360688.jpg

On a 18" 308....
IMG_2708-360585.jpg

Last edited:
I think the TBAC bipod could also be a good choice. I have one on my AX and wouldn’t hesitate to put it on an AR.

Midwest Industries recently entered the QD optics market. I've tried a couple different models of theirs, I now prefer them over ADM. I like their QD mechanism better.

OP - Striking on target with an AR10 @ 1K yards employing a brand name QD mount (read get-off-your-wallet and buy a a respected mount as a few boxes of ammo will exceed cost of said mount) will be the least of your concerns as the bullet will most likely be transonic velocity at that range. I have 20+ LaRue mounts and a lot of DGI mounts holding mostly S&B up-to-date scopes with 24-56 mm objectives, separated in price by ~ $500; properly zeroed with good DOPE, the mount itself still the smallest variable in making my POI at that range with 16" 7.62's. The GDI's have nice accommodations for red dot optics. First round 800 - 900 M targets w/ 16" LaRue, reproducible velocity ammo and adequate scope. It has been my observation on forum posts is that the biggest bitch about LaRue's is "gouging" the picatinny rails with use, not return-to-zero issues; I haven't seen any evidence of it occurring in my use. The targets show results with Black Hills Match ammo, however Applied Ballistics 7.62 has demonstrated single digit muzzle velocity shot-to-shot variations ( using latest MagnetoSpeed chronometer data ) in this 7.62 platform.
DSCN0938a copy.jpg
DSCN2209 copy.JPG
DSCN2740 copy.JPG
DSCN2793a copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Docsherm
I have a Seekins 3G2 in 223 Wylde and I wanted to stretch it to 1000yds. I have their 6.5 SP10 too. I want them to be the same. I want high power scope and red dot capable at a 45deg offset. I also want 20 MOA cant and a scope mount. I looked at a lot of scope mounts. I ordered the ADM mounts. One took up too much rail (but it was a solid mount) and the Recon blocked my turrets. I ended up going with the nightforce unimount. I wanted QD. It in the end, I wanted it all and more rail for 45deg red dot.

Thank you all for your input. I ended up with the Scalarworks LEAP standard height scope mount and an Atlas BT46-LW17 PSR bipod. I have yet to buy a 45 degree picatinny side mount and decide on a red dot, but I'll probably post pics of my completed build in the "308 AR10 Build Info/Picture Thread" on the Semi-Auto Rifles" board.

20 MOA cant Spuhr QD and be done with it forever.
I use one mount on several different rifles.
Once I dial my dope back on the rifle it stays until I move to another rifle or put it back on the same rifle.
Besides Mile high shooting will excellent service AFTER the sale

20 MOA cant Spuhr QD and be done with it forever.
I use one mount on several different rifles.
Once I dial my dope back on the rifle it stays until I move to another rifle or put it back on the same rifle.
Besides Mile high shooting will excellent service AFTER the sale
Thank you for your service!

Reactions: Ravenworks
Well, I guess he's covered but I like Badger for everything. Solid as fuck and they make practically every doodad you can want for it, all sorts of ring caps.

Thank you all for your input. I ended up with the Scalarworks LEAP standard height scope mount and an Atlas BT46-LW17 PSR bipod. I have yet to buy a 45 degree picatinny side mount and decide on a red dot, but I'll probably post pics of my completed build in the "308 AR10 Build Info/Picture Thread" on the Semi-Auto Rifles" board.

Update: The build is posted.